Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't seem to project Sketch onto work surface

37 REPLIES 37
Message 1 of 38
srosenberger
13543 Views, 37 Replies

Can't seem to project Sketch onto work surface

Also any help on patterning around the perimeter would be greatly appreciated too!!! 

37 REPLIES 37
Message 21 of 38
TrippyLighting
in reply to: blacktip

Here's a link that describes best how to share a design. If you don't want to share it publicly you can send the public link to people in a PM

EESignature

Message 22 of 38
blacktip
in reply to: srosenberger

Hi. It's me again. Was revisiting the Project To Surface-command in another model, but he*k if I can get it to work. I do understand the thing about projecting a curve on a separate sketch, but now the projected curve(s) get super-condensed. I have tried three different new files, with various curves that I then project onto the cylinder, but they a.) all get squashed sideways and b.) they all miss a spline here and there. Any ideas?

Edit: tried a super simple three-circle-sketch, and now I only get three red lines projected on the cylinder. (see second screenshot)

Message 23 of 38
davebYYPCU

In that dialogue box, the option Closest point is selected, there is Along Vector, option in the drop down, 

sounds like you need that option, or test it, the result would be similar to extruding the flat sketch, if you get what I mean.

To use it you will need to select the Z Axis for your direction.

Might help....

Message 24 of 38

@jeff_strater wrote:

For this command, you need two sketches.  So, the steps would be:

1. Click on "exit sketch" for the current sketch
  2. Start a new sketch, using the "Create sketch" command
  3. Pick a plane (it doesn't matter what plane)
  4. Then, use the Project to Surface command, select the surface, and the curves in the other sketch

For me, this information was the key bit - it is really not obvious that you need to create a destination sketch first. Once I read this, I was able to proceed.

However, one thing that I've noticed is that I don't seem to be able to project points using this method. I can project circles, squares, even lines, but points don't seem to project. In my case I want to project some constructed points onto a curved surface, so for a workaround I'm projecting lines between each pair of points and then using the line endpoints as my "points". The problem is that I want to create a tangent plane to my curved face at each of these points, but I don't seem to be able to use a line endpoint for this - the Create Tangent Plane dialog "OK" remains greyed out.

If there's not a simple answer I can create a new question, perhaps with a screencast, to better explain what I'm trying to do.

Message 25 of 38
blacktip
in reply to: david.antliff

Opening up this thread again since I really don't understand the way projecting lines/shapes onto another object really works. On the model I'm currently working on I would like to project a set of lines (or rather, thin filled areas) and then slightly indent the surface of the model to look like assembled metal plates with a thin gap between. When following the instructions on projecting (earlier in this thread), the lines do project – but in a weird, bent way. I have tried to turn on "along vector", but that does nothing.

I also tried the split object-command, but F360 crashes over and over when doing so. Besides, I don't really want to split the part (the rear fin of a helicopter) since it's going to take me a long time to reassemble and making the model look "solid" again after adjusting the look of the "indents".

Attaching two screenshots of the projecting issue.

Message 26 of 38
davebYYPCU

Your pics show Closest Point, you need along Vector.

How big is this model, Full sized or scaled?

Do you want “Panel Lines” or misaligned faces?

Will the object get made in the real world?

Your answers determine what method to use with the 3d sketch.

Message 27 of 38
mavigogun

File>Export>Save locally>Attach to your reply to this thread.

Along Vector is a bit counter intuitive- if using the Origin Planes, we select the Face  that would provide a direct "window" view of the surface we want to project to.   Super weird.    You can also place Construction features to target the vector.

Message 28 of 38
TrippyLighting

Instead of projecting a sketch onto a surface, which you then are going to use to split the surface, you might as well extrude a surface from the sketch and use that to split the surface.

The works the same way a projection along a vector works.

EESignature

Message 29 of 38
blacktip
in reply to: TrippyLighting

@davebYYPCU Yes, the model is sorta-full-scale (13 meters long in all), but won't be manufactured (I wish, hah). If I finish the model it will be imported into Keyshot for further texturing, lightning & rendering. I don't really know whether I want "panel lines" or misaligned faces, but say that I would like a thin indent in the metal hull, making it look like a joint between metal sheets. My thoughts at this point is to create these in Keyshot by applying various bump textures at the place I want them to, but I originally thought that it would be nice to have most of the details modelled from the beginning. 

@TrippyLighting I did manage to split the rear fin in several parts, having the "cut" (or the section between the imagery metal plates) as a separate object. My plan then was to add a small bevel on all parts and the re-join the parts into a single solid again. The bevel between the plate (if that's the correct wording?) + "cut" + next plate would then achieve the effect of being manually assembled when building the helicopter. But, I ran into issues trying to bevel the round surfaces, as well as seeing weird artefacts on some parts, so I scrapped the idea of getting this effect in a modelled fashion. See attachment for visual details.

Thanks for all feedback. Appreciated!

Message 30 of 38
mavigogun

Check to see if that artifact is merely a display artifact by toggling the detail control for the Body-  right-click Browser entry > Display Detail Control > Fixed > High.    Images may be embedded in-post by using the Photos button above the text box.

Message 31 of 38
blacktip
in reply to: mavigogun

@mavigogun Ah, nice to learn something new. Yes, the visual artefact disappeared when setting it to high. Cheers.Screenshot 2018-11-07 at 14.42.41.png

Message 32 of 38
boconnel

Not to bring up an old thread, but this does not appear to work for me. I followed the guidence about creating a new sketch, but while it shows what looks like a successful projection, it's not useable for any following tasks (e.g. sweep cutout of another profile).Purple line is what I want, but I get a 'failed to project, check geometry' message.Purple line is what I want, but I get a 'failed to project, check geometry' message.

Message 33 of 38

Hi @srosenberger ,
It is very much possible to project your sketch in the curve surface. The project command would help you in this regard.
If you have any query feel free to ask.
Thank you.

Md. Shahriar Mohtasim
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, 
RUET

LinkedIn | Facebook | Youtube (CADs) | Twitter

Autodesk Product Users, BD

If you found this post helpful please hit the LIKE button and for a solution hit the ACCEPT SOLUTION.

Thank you.

Message 34 of 38
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: boconnel

@boconnel wrote:

Not to bring up an old thread, but this does not appear to work for me.

You should start a new thread and...

File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 35 of 38

@shahriarsifat1802164 wrote:

Hi @srosenberger ,
It is very much possible to project your sketch in the curve surface. The project command would help you in this regard.
If you have any query feel free to ask.
Thank you.

Did you actually look at the image and correlate that with what he posted?

Obviously, he can create the projection. he just can not use it to create further geometry.

EESignature

Message 36 of 38

I Have an very similar problem however it isnt the same I havnt been able to find any help, feels like  a grey area in fusion which is very deflating after 10's of hours of work, Imagine a 3d rectangle where the two ends are smaller than the mid point on both sides and the top face isnt as wide as the bottom base you create rectangular shape with angles on all faces apart from top and bottom, and along an egde I manually created a loft that looks like a chamfer along an edge creating a small face that runs along an edge with a lets say 45 degree angle to complete the patch and stitch to create one solid, the surface im referring to has a small twist along it and angles to create the surface in loft from mid point to end of the rectangle, the lines i need are straight project only projects curves and wont select it its a n

Message 37 of 38

Imagine you post a model and perhaps a screencast 😉

EESignature

Message 38 of 38

you'll get more traction if you start a new thread instead of posting a question that may or may not be related to an old thread.

it would also be helpful to post a model and/or pictures describing your geometry and issue instead of verbally describing it.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report