Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't extrude text

26 REPLIES 26
SOLVED
Message 1 of 27
difalkner
39928 Views, 26 Replies

Can't extrude text

I created the text identically for each line but the one line beginning 'Countless...' returns an error- Inconsistent Edge Face Relationship'. I deleted it and created it again to no avail.

The same problem existed for the line below, 'and many...' but when I recorded the screencast it actually worked.

Thanks for helping!

David

PS - my screencast didn't show up in the dropdown so here's the link -

http://autode.sk/2wmOHro

David Falkner
26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
jan.gladines
in reply to: difalkner

I have recently encountered a very similar problem. After some Googling around I found out that this is apparently a bug that has been known for a while now. I fixed this by using another font. 

Message 3 of 27
difalkner
in reply to: jan.gladines

This is the same font I'm using on the other lines of text and they extruded just fine.  In doing some searches it appears to an extent like a 'catch-all' message, appearing for lots of things.  So a bug seems to fit as much as anything else.

Thanks, Jan. 

David

David Falkner
Message 4 of 27
difalkner

The screencast was in my drop down so i updated the post -

David

David Falkner
Message 5 of 27
Anonymous

I am hitting the same damned problem. If I switch from Bush Script to Ariel, it works, but with Bush Script or Seugoe Script, it fails with that same Edge-Face error. 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/2887418b-f19d-47b9-8122-6037c8aaf8da

Message 6 of 27
rohit.bapat

Hello David,

I am sorry that you are facing this issue. Also, thank you for providing the file (That helps a lot). I can reproduce the issue. I have filed a bug to track the progress on this issue.

Mean while I tried another thing with the text i.e. Explode and then Extrude. Which worked fine for me. I will recommend to try exploding the text and then extruding it. I know it is a workaround. We will keep track of this issue.

Thank you,

Rohit Bapat

P.S.

I have attached the same file with exploded text, which will show in green color. I have also created a screencast to demonstrate how to explode a text. 

Rohit Bapat
Product Owner
Message 7 of 27
rohit.bapat
in reply to: rohit.bapat

Just in case Screencast preview doesn't work here the link of my screencast

Explode the Text in Fusion

Rohit Bapat
Product Owner
Message 8 of 27
etfrench
in reply to: rohit.bapat

@rohit.bapat beat me to it Smiley Sad 

TextExtrude.jpg

If you are going to route this using the Engrave operation, you don't need to extrude the text first.

Modified file is attached.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 9 of 27
difalkner
in reply to: etfrench

Really?  I thought the text had to be extruded to engrave properly, at least it doesn't look right in the simulator if it isn't extruded.  So if I don't extrude it then how should I set the 'Bottom height' in 'Heights' on the Engrave profile?  I have been setting it as 'Top height' at -0.0625" to -0.09375" for most engraving.  I want to learn the right way because I'm doing a fair amount of engraving and if I don't have to extrude then that saves several steps.

And I guess I missed something in the file you attached because the text is still extruded and I didn't see any differences.

Thanks so much for your help!

David

David Falkner
Message 10 of 27
etfrench

The previous screencast didn't show working directly from the sketch.  This one does:

Note: You need to turn sketch visibility off in order to see the cuts in simulation.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 11 of 27
Anonymous

I am seeing the same thing.. I do have to explode the text to get engraving to work right, it kept skipping letters in my words, and yup, the animation does not show it engraved at all wich is a bit troubling, but the tool pathing look right and my end result is carved out the way I was looking for..

Just bummed that the WYSIWYG consistent text operation isn't there. And I am glad to see it was listed as a bug. Manually extruding the text, makes it look like the end product when you animate it, and that is really helpful.

Nick

Message 12 of 27
wmlowderPXHZH
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm having the exact same problem, if I switch fonts it works but I don't want to switch fonts. It seems the bug still has not been resolved.

Message 13 of 27
etfrench
in reply to: wmlowderPXHZH

Which fonts are you using?

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 14 of 27
difalkner
in reply to: etfrench

I use a variety of fonts but have just about completely gotten away from extruding the text I plan to engrave.  Things seem to work much better that way.  Text seems to bring Fusion 360 to its proverbial knees!

And on the few fonts that Fusion 360 won't load I just create what I want in CorelDraw, export as svg, and then work with it in F360.

David

David Falkner
Message 15 of 27

I can verify that this issue is still very much alive. I attempted to extrude Dinot (black) text, thinking that I had the creative authority to select a font, and had to go to Ariel (black) in order to get Fusion to operate. Sure, it's a 1st world problem, but as a designer who wants to select the right font for the right job, it would be nice to have this capability, or to be provided with a list of "safe" fonts so that I don't waste my time having to 1) struggle through the problem and 2) hunt down the information on some forum to identify a "known" issue.

Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
in reply to: joncolinleonard

Yes, just had to do another project where I had to manually explode my text, extrude the individual objects (Hint: Don't get too wordy) to get it to work, by which time Fusion was brought to it's knees in objects. 😕

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm having the same issue right now with Georgia typeface.  I can get around it by using a Trace toolpath instead of Engrave for my purposes but I'm posting here in case there's a solution in the future.

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous

I found that you need to explode the text and then it will extrude without a problem.  I have also heard that you should try an .svg file of the text you want to use if it is "fancy". 

Tags (1)
Message 19 of 27
mabacapa

I guess I'm reviving an "undocumented feature" of F360 centered around why some fonts EXTRUDE and some fonts don't. And it doesn't appear to be determined by TTF fonts or OTF fonts. I use the free version of F360 for personal use on a Mac.

I've been trying to find a free stencil font (b/c i'm not paying for a font that ends up not working) that I can use in F360, to use text in my 3D printing hobby. I've not been able to find a definitive, solved issue on why some fonts EXTRUDE and some don't. The only helpful thing I read in the forums is that the Mac needs to install the fonts in the COMPUTER Font Book and not the USER Font Book, and you need restart your Mac afterwards.

I did find an extruding stencil font, 1 of 5 I downloaded. I'm attaching the extruding stencil font and one of the non-extruding stencil fonts. Maybe there's a font expert / F360 expert who can look at the 2 TTF fonts and tell us why one works in F360 and the other doesn't.

StardosStencil.TTF EXTRUDES

BostonTraffic.TTF does not EXTRUDE

Message 20 of 27
imjamessanford

Converting OTF fonts to TTF fonts works perfectly for me

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report