Community
Dynamic Blocks Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic block resets to its original form when copy & paste into another file.

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Leticia_Campanelli
5414 Views, 6 Replies

Dynamic block resets to its original form when copy & paste into another file.

Hi,

I am wondering if anybody knows why dynamic block resets to its original form when copy & paste into this specific file. I had the same block copied and pasted into another file and it didn't changed. Is there anything in settings that I should change?

to clarify I have done walls that stretches to form rooms into a flat, when copied to another floor in this case 5Floor, all walls are changed to it's original size (before the stretch) it still has all the parameters. in all other floor plans/files it works just fine.

any ideas? 

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Check your cmd prompt and see if it says that duplicate block reference ignored. This means that the block you copied in already exists in that dwg. In order to replace it you need to purge that block name out of the file. 

Another method might be to copy with base point and insert with base point. Ctrl-Shift_C to copy with base point and Ctrl-Shift_V to paste it. This command inserts the copied elements in as a block.

Please remember that dynamic blocks nested inside another block cannot retain their attribute values and return to the default insertion state when copied into a new dwg.

Message 3 of 7

It worked changing the name of the block that is already there, thanks very much.

out of curiosity why does it change? the Dynamic block it self is exactly the same. Normally it inserts as copied. 

Message 4 of 7

I'm not entirely sure. I know AutoCAD ignores duplicate names of blocks when pasting. It also has a tendency to create *### blocks for built in elements like leader heads, dimension ticks, and hatches when they are copied in while nested in a block so as not to replace similar elements. The ignore function it uses probably chooses to drop all attribute information as well when copying. When you renamed it, the block was treated as an entirely new and unique element so the ignore function  is passed over.

If it didn't use this ignore function you could easily change all of your standard annotative styles and blocks already in place. 

They do include tools such a rename and blockreplace that allow you to correct issues that the ignore function might cause.

Message 5 of 7

A block will always inherit the properties of the block which is already in the destination drawing.

To change the block to your new block see my replies in the two threads below

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/dynamic-blocks-forum/block/m-p/8750304

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/dynamic-blocks-forum/use-one-file-as-a-central-file-for-blocks/m-p/96...

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 6 of 7
cadffm
in reply to: Leticia_Campanelli

We can read "the same" often, but it rarely the same.

Upload source dwg (mark one reference you tested) and your source file,

we can take a look.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 7 of 7

I sometimes experience the same issue. I had a drawing containing several dynamic blocks that I wanted to copy and paste to a second drawing already containing the same blockdefinition.

When I paste them into the second drawing from all the blocks the settings controlled by a table where reset but al the other dynamic actions stay the same.

Both drawings where created with AutoCad LT 2023 but I edited them in AutoCad 2023 (full)

When I tried to recreate this in AutoCad 2023 (full) everything stays te same.

S oI am wondering if it has something to do with AutoCad LT or some setting saved  in a drawing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost