Use one file as a central file for blocks

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1486 Views, 7 Replies

Use one file as a central file for blocks

Hello,

I'm working on a project with multiple drawings where the same block name is used. I want to use one file as a central file where I can edit a block and then redefine all the blocks in all the other drawings without needing to do it manually. Is this possible? I.e. - can I link blocks to one source file and use that to redefine blocks without the use of Blocks (AutoCAD 2020) and/or Autodesk Design Center? This would speed up the process very much and no risk of forgetting to redefine a block in one drawing.

I'm using AutoCAD 2020.

Best regards

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: Anonymous

Read about "Extern References". These should do what you need.

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
MakCADD

convert blocks in the drawings as an externalreference

blocktoxref

and replace the block file with modified one

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

Hello again,

and thanks for the reply. That seems to do the trick but can I have all the blocks in one xref, or do I need to create different x-references for different blocks. My ideal solution would be to have one drawing with all the blocks and then choose which blocks I can reference in another drawing, not the whole file. 

Message 5 of 8
h_s_walker

It is probably possible. You would need a lisp to open all the drawings and redefine the block in accordance with your source block.

In my case I have one file which has all my blocks in it.

I make changes to those blocks in that one drawing

Then you do the following.

You need the drawing with the block you want to amend and the drawing with the blocks in it open

You need to be in the drawing with the block you want to amend.

At the command line type ADC, this calls up the design centre.

Open the file tree of your source block drawing. Choose the blocks section. Now right click on the block and choose REDEFINE. See the image below (My source drawing is PROBORD, and I'm wanting to redefine the block in DRAWING1)

Capture.JPG

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 6 of 8
MakCADD

use xclip

to hide all other blocks in the attached xref

it will make your drawing more heavy

Message 7 of 8
timothy_crouse

Those are all pretty good advice on how to do what you are asking.  What I would add to that is to think about the maintenance involved.  The goal is to centralize the use/maintenance of the blocks make sure your work-flow does not end up requiring more maintenance than you were trying to avoid:

A couple of tips to think about:

-Will you be changing colors or object layers in the blocks?  If so you will need to be aware of how visretain settings will affect what you are trying to do.  If not, then visretain set to 0 or 1 will work.   Adding layers and changing colors can add maintenance in top-level drawing using xrefs.  It's good practice to have all colors and layers set in xref files before you start using them as xrefs.

-Who else will be using this file set?  Not having the insertion points at  0,0 can be troublesome if you are not familiar with the package.

-Perhaps separating the blocks into subject matter file groups would help you avoid the need for XClip.  Keeping the files lean and clean is a plus.

-Typically I avoid annotative text in XRefs as I do not always know the viewport scale they will be used at, as such they e objects will not appear through the viewport even though they are present in modelspace.  having to deal with this inside an XRef adds unwanted steps (IMO).

-The newer version of the Insert Block tool pallet makes pretty quick work of redefining blocks.  This may be something to explore if you decide the XRef thing is not what you really want.  The insert dialog allows you to set a predefined drawing to always have in the pallet so you can quickly go there and grab blocks and drag / redefine in open drawings. 

Best Regards

-Tim C.

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: timothy_crouse

Hello again,

and thanks for all the replies. Sorry for the long reply time from my side but I needed to discuss it with my colleagues.

Due to us needing to upload the files to other consultants and the risk with nesting blocks when making them as external references we made them as blocks in one central file and used the smart function in AutoCAD 2020 where you can redefine blocks from one source file. 

Thanks again for all the great input and have a pleasant day!

Best regards

Vespers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report