Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with importing svg file

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
2508 Views, 15 Replies

Problems with importing svg file

Hi all,

I have some complex adobe illustrator design with very precise measurements. One line is for example exactly 10,2cm

When I import the svg file into a new fusion file using the insert svg tool, the scale is all wrong and the before mentioned line is 7,65 cm. 

To go from 7,65 to 10,2 you need to multiply by exactly 1,333333333 which cannot be a coinsidence... In the insert svg dialog I notice there is a scale option, but if I add 1,3333 here my line ends up being 13.95 cm. 

So my question: how can I get my svg to a proper scaled sketch in fusion 360? 

Pictures of every step I took from illustrator to fusion 360 attached below. 

Screenshot 2016-09-07 18.18.11.pngScreenshot 2016-09-07 18.18.58.pngScreenshot 2016-09-07 18.19.40.pngScreenshot 2016-09-07 18.20.38.png

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
HughesTooling
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you attach a simple SVG you've drawn, just a 100mm square would do. From your description something strange is going on with the insert scale option so have you tried scaling after import?

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: HughesTooling

Hi Mark, 

Thank you for getting back to me so fast! 
Attached is the file I used in above screenshots

It contains some pretty easy shapes, that should illustrate my point. 
Does this help? 

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

Mark, 

What do you mean by scaling after import? Is it possible for me to scale an entire sketch at once? 
If yes, how? 

Message 5 of 16
HughesTooling

@Anonymous wrote:

Mark, 

What do you mean by scaling after import? Is it possible for me to scale an entire sketch at once? 
If yes, how? 

After inserting the SVG while still in sketch mode window select all the curves, it will take a few seconds with your SVG. Click the unlock icon on the Sketch Palette dialog then select scale from the Sketch menu, pick a base point then a scale factor.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous

Screenshot 2016-09-08 14.30.20.png

Hi Mark, 

I cant see the unlock button in the sketch palette and I am a bit confused what to do with the sketch scale dialog. 

What I did: 

1. Import svg

2. Select everything by drwaing a square around everything with the select tool 

Could you please clarify? 

EDIT: now with screenshot

Message 7 of 16
HughesTooling

Sorry should have said Unfix, got confused using too many CAD programs at the same time.Smiley Wink

Not sure why you have no scale option on the sketch menu, have you got the latest update?

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

I have version 2.0.2377, if not the latest it should be very recent.
What do I do? 

PS: I do not see an option unfix either? 
Where are these things? 

Message 9 of 16
I_Forge_KC

Take a look here...

K. Cornett
Generative Design Consultant / Trainer

Message 10 of 16
HughesTooling

@jeff_strater Here's an odd bug, if you import the SVG attached to this thread and scale by 1.3333 then import without scaling then scale with the scale tool from the Sketch menu you get a different result. @Anonymous points out in his first post that the scale on the import dialog is giving the wrong result. Screencast to demonstrate the difference.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 11 of 16
I_Forge_KC

Yeah there is a math error there...

The scaling in the SVG dialog box is applied twice.

K. Cornett
Generative Design Consultant / Trainer

Message 12 of 16
jeff_strater
in reply to: I_Forge_KC

Yep, that's a bug, all right.  Good catch.  We'll get that one entered and fixed.  It should be easy enough to fix (famous last words).

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: jeff_strater

I bet finding a bug in an autodesk program instantly promotes me to like level 5 on the forum? ;o

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

Hi @HughesTooling @I_Forge_KC 

Even though there was a bug, I am really impressed with how fast you guys answered my question and how clear your answer was with the video and everything. 
Thanks a lot - well happy with my first autodesk experience. 

Message 15 of 16
ShirleyShi

I think it is the same issue with another link. The 1.3333333333 is actually 96/72. See detail explanation in the post 9 and 10 in: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-validate-document/svg-scale-is-wrong/m-p/6567298/highlight/fals...

Shirley

Developer for Fusion Electronics

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 16 of 16
aron.santa

.dxf works...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report