Publishing Revit model views to the cloud

Push revit model to cloud.png

When using BIM 360, Autodesk Construction Cloud, and Autodesk Revit. Regardless of the platform you choose for your projects, Revit users have control over the published drawing or model views that are displayed via Autodesk Docs or BIM 360 Docs. This makes it simple to collaborate with the rest of your team or project members in one place and share information.

This article will discuss the different publish settings offered by Autodesk Revit and how to use them.

The first thing to keep in mind is that if you just upload or save your Revit model directly through Revit to the cloud, those views will be published using the default Selection Set (ie. 3D View:{3D}).

Revit Pulbish Settings Ribbon.PNG

1. To create a new set in the Publish settings dialogue click New Set and give your set a name, then click OK. You can also duplicate, edit, or delete sets. 
    • Tip: Name the sets appropriately so everyone can understand what they are.
  2. To edit the set content, select the show in the list drop-down and filter the list by 3D views, views, sheets or even all views and sheets. 
    • Note: You need to include a 3D view as part of any selection, if you don't Revit will select the default 3D view automatically.
  3. To help select or deselect the views and sheet required you can select all or select none.
  4. To select the views and sheet individually click the boxes to include the view type.
  5. In the top pane (Select Sets), click the check box in the include column. I often forget to do this. It will choose one or more sets to publish to the cloud.
  6. Click Save & Close to save your changes to the sets

Revit Pulbish Settings Select Set.PNG

If you are working on a centralized model, make sure you Synchronize with the Central tool to update your changes locally.

Now your publish settings are set up the next time the model is published to the cloud those views and sheets will be included in the next version of the model.

Note: When you publish models to the Docs area, they are visible to all external stakeholders who have to correct viewing permissions. So only publish the views you wish for them to see.

Publish your model to the cloud.

You will notice in Revit 2023.1 they have now removed the Manage Cloud Models function from the Ribbon.

Revit Manage Cloud Models Ribbon.PNG

1. To publish our models to Autodesk Docs or BIM 360 Docs you will need to switch the Revit Home
  2. Then click Autodesk Docs and navigate to the cloud project which contains the Revit model.
  3. Click the 3 dots to publish the latest model for single models either Publish Latest or Publish Latest Without Links.
  4. To select multiple models, select the tick box to the left of the file name
  5. Then select Publish to either Publish Latest or Publish Latest Without Links.

Revit Manage Cloud Models Revit.PNG

Remember when you update the views in your model, they will update in the latest published version on Docs.

And finally, the sets are not just used for you to publish to the cloud but you can use them to export your views or sheets to AutoCAD in dwg format, print to pdf or even your plotter just to name a few.

Now that is my first blog post on here. Please look out for my future posts I am already planning my next one. 

2 Comments