After all these years, Revit visibility still needs fixing

revit visibility.png

A former coworker of mine and I used to tell people that there is nothing in Revit that you can do that we couldn't fix.  We did stop saying that because it felt like people took it as a challenge.  I thought I had seen everything regarding visibility issues with Revit. I even have a pdf that listed 33 different known visibility issues.    I recently had a project team that was having issues and I learned two new ways to mess up visibility.

Issue #1 was in the exterior elevations the edges of the walls that were on an existing phase would show up the full tone and thick.  I discovered that this setting had been messed with.  Once I changed it back to "None" it stopped overriding the wall edges.

RBeckerbauer_0-1679592319062.png

Issue #2 just happened the other day.  It involved the same team and project.  The same views.  There was a linked-in model for the core and shell but all the interior fit-out was showing through it.  It was like the wireframe mode was turned on.  When I checked, the wireframe mode was not the issue, there was no filter causing the issue, nor was it a set with the linked model.  I ended up getting help from my manager, Travis Yates.  Neither of us had seen this before so we did the old Sesame Street game of "which of these is not like the others".  We created a new Exterior Elevation of the same view and applied the view template, and the issue didn't happen with it.  So now it was time for the "which of these is not like the others" game.

After figuring out what was not included in the template.

RBeckerbauer_1-1679592351198.png

We went back to the view and into its properties and found that this was changed and thus the issue.  In the view, it was set to "All". 

RBeckerbauer_2-1679592372904.png

Once I changed the setting to "By Discipline", then everything started to show properly.

RBeckerbauer_3-1679592390401.png

It is GREAT to learn new things with Revit after all these years of using it.  Revit Visibility issues are always frustrating to deal with and learning new ways to mess up visibility can be fun.  I just would have thought after over 16 years of working with Revit that I wouldn't be discovering new ones.

4 Comments