Combine Inventor and Excel for a New Twist on Configurations

Pallet-Seattle-4901.jpg

Want to be more efficient? Tired of creating similar configurations over and over? Want a better way to alter assemblies? Ever wonder how to implement a checklist or catalog from Excel to Inventor? Look no further, my friend.

At PHS West we have implemented a checklist that our sales team fills out, allowing our sales department to make choices for a configurable cart, enter data, and have some logic for what can be selected.

This sheet is then forwarded to our Engineering department and Inventor is used to read the spreadsheet and then populate an assembly file based on the selected choices and build out a rudimentary model. With a few tweaks and a quick check, the process takes about 60 seconds. Previously it took up to an hour to create each cart needed and complete the necessary drawing.

Each 'part' that is added is an assembly that houses other assemblies as model states. Doing this adds on level of protection to the production models and allows for an easy change if a revision is needed. (ie. A drawer cabinet is switched between (3) 4" drawers to (2) 6" Drawers).

Everything is constrained using model planes. This allows for geometry to change and revisions to take place to production parts that don't affect the final assembly. We all know how tough that can be when geometry in a part file is updated and constraints break.

There are change utilities stored inside the spread sheet template and on the inventor side. The Excel sheet uses named ranges to find and execute loading of the user form, which allows for items to be added and removed from the sales catalog very quickly and by using listviews inside the user form, the formatting is as simple as placing the 

controls in alignment and then spacing them off each other to ensure the form is only as large as it needs to be.

On the Inventor side we have built in utilities to access the model states and allow for quick tweaks to a design along with using modelstates to house various equipment blocks to represent the envelope of the customers items,  allowing us to constrain a piece quickly and switch out equipment with in seconds.

Finally we have automated the drawing set up process. using our sales cad template we can quickly place the required views and add token dimensions to get the Drafter started. While each cart is unique this helps the drafter get started and able to massage the drawing as needed.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm always striving to create something new and unique, i know this application is not an end all be all, but its helped us speed up our process, be consistent, identify errors and ultimately be productive.

I'm willing to help answer questions. Hopefully, this will inspire you to try something new!

Please stay tuned for more information about the changing of model states using iLogic code and custom user forms.

1 Comment