Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey Point Scale

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
654work
733 Views, 18 Replies

Survey Point Scale

Can a block assigned to a point style be scaled to a specific when processed during the importing of points through the survey database?  AS an example, a 24 inch tree would be in the drawing as 2ft dia.  I’m assuming the point description from the crew would call out 24, and this would be used to scale the marker in the drawing.

Labels (1)
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
tcorey
in reply to: 654work

Learn about Description Keys.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 19
654work
in reply to: tcorey

Yea I was planning on using something like this:

Point Code          Style                                      Point Label Style               Format                 Layer                    

Decid                   Vege Tree Decid                   None                                   $1                          V-SITE-VEGE       

Scale Parameter                                 Apply to X-Y

checked on Parameter 1                    checked on Yes.

Where $1 is a value the crew would enter, and this would scale the marker.

I was more trying to find out if there was a better option to what I was thinking of.

Thanks for the reply though.

Message 4 of 19
jeff.wangD95HG

basically description key and scale parameters here is a quick example

jeffwangD95HG_0-1686150352476.png

jeffwangD95HG_2-1686150444489.png

make sure you do a quick read through of all the settings of description key

parameter 1 is pulled from the description of the cogo point

for example the csv format will be similar to like this

Point number, northing, easting, elevation, tree 24,

to apply scale factor of 24 which could be in inches if you are setted up correctly

Message 5 of 19
654work
in reply to: jeff.wangD95HG

@jeff.wangD95HG thank you for your input.  What you mentioned is what we planned on using.

Something I have not been able to find, we have a client on that requires blocks (not Civil 3D points defined by blocks) for point objects.  Can this be done?  I'm going to continue researching this.

Message 6 of 19
jeff.wangD95HG

cogo point can take in user defined blocks

jeffwangD95HG_0-1686153928405.png

jeffwangD95HG_1-1686154125693.png

jeffwangD95HG_2-1686154154070.png

right click browse and select the path where your desired blocks is saved at

Message 7 of 19
654work

@jeff.wangD95HG, I may be missing something from what you posted, by what the client is asking to not use a cogo/civil 3D point, they want only a block.  I think there is a way to extract blocks from Civil 3D points.  https://apps.autodesk.com/CIV3D/en/Detail/Index?id=3273897707717833240&appLang=en&os=Win64

I was hoping that Civil 3D could import just the block, instead of using it within a point style.

Message 8 of 19
jeff.wangD95HG

this is indeed a difficult task and could only be accomplished by the only command worthy of this task. come forth "explode" is the hero  you are looking for

I might be missing something but this seems like a trivial task

Message 9 of 19
654work

Yes, except we use the points for the surface, then send the file to the client.  I think what we need to do is have the C3D points on a different layer than the blocks.

Thanks for you input, much apricated.

Message 10 of 19
Pointdump

Hi Robert,
Here's an idea from Jerry Bartels to create >>>Blocks with Attributes<<<.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 11 of 19
654work
in reply to: Pointdump

@Pointdump I may be missing something from your post.  I like the idea of using shp files to insert blocks (wish I had known this for another project). For this clients projects, our surveyors collect the data and dump as a CSV file then we process.  How are you suggesting we get the shp files?  Bring the points into C3D, and export as shp?

Thanks

Message 12 of 19
Pointdump

Robert,
I'd create the shapefile in QGIS from an Excel CSV file with all the attributes.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 13 of 19
654work

@Pointdump thank you again for your reply.  I always apricate your input.  I have another quick question. Civil 3D has the ability to convert COGO points into blocks using the "Points > Create Blocks from COGO Points" command. Are you suggesting using the SHP format because it is a faster method when working with a lot of different kinds of blocks?

Message 14 of 19
Pointdump

Robert,
You may not need to add any attributes to the blocks. When I think of blocks I think of lots of attributes and the shapefile workflow handles multiple attributes easier than COGO points with User Defined Properties.
The Create Blocks from COGO Points is a good way, but you only get Point Number, Elevation, and Description.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 15 of 19
hencoop

@jeff.wangD95HG 

Explode is never a hero (IMHO).  It is a destroyer of intent and purpose.  We use ParaPOINT to accomplish what the OP wants/needs.  It isn’t Civil 3D but it uses Civil 3D points which requires a license to Civil 3D in order to access them.  It will place scaled tree blocks from point descriptions.  We never use C3D points as our survey symbology.  We always insert independent blocks at all point features including trees.  The labelling is also automated and independent of C3D points..  Position, scale and orientation are never a problem we need to solve.

AutoCAD User since 1989. Civil Engineering Professional since 1983
Product Ver.: 13.6.1781.0 Civil 3D 2024.3 Update
Built On:        U.152.0.0 AutoCAD 2024.1.2
                        27.0.37.14 Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D 2024.0.1
                        8.6.52.0 AutoCAD Architecture 2024
Message 16 of 19
rl_jackson

@hencoop 

I no longer push points do a drawing that do not have symbology. removing a massive amount of data in the process....

I think ADSK should look at the POINT OBJECT for improvement on speed as it is cumbersome object in the overall process.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 17 of 19
654work
in reply to: hencoop

@jeff.wangD95HG, would you be able to provide a link to  ParaPOINT.  I searched for it but am only coming up with a training company. 

Message 18 of 19
654work

Dave, thanks, we will be looking at which option is easiest for our workflow for this client.

Message 19 of 19
hencoop

@654work

The page is way down the search list.  The page hasn't been updated for a while and it has never actually been marketed.  I own the domain ParaCADD.com and I am an Authorized Autodesk Developer.  I wrote ParaPOINT primarily for my own use and others in our company.  I made it available online as a side venture.  I cannot recall when I last sold a license to it.  That has never been my focus.  If you are still interested, you can find it here:  http://paracadd.com/ptdcl/ptdcl.htm 

AutoCAD User since 1989. Civil Engineering Professional since 1983
Product Ver.: 13.6.1781.0 Civil 3D 2024.3 Update
Built On:        U.152.0.0 AutoCAD 2024.1.2
                        27.0.37.14 Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D 2024.0.1
                        8.6.52.0 AutoCAD Architecture 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report