Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image unreadable

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
Neilw_05
2620 Views, 22 Replies

Image unreadable

I frequently encounter a problem where attached raster images become unreadable. This happens when I open a file that has an image attached and I redirect the path to a different image. The sources and format of the images are identical so I know it is not a compatibility issue. I can detach and reattach no problem.

This also just happened in a file that had an attached image that didn't change in any way. The path didn't change, the image didn't change, yet when I opened the file, the status was Not Found in the XREF manager, even though the path in the setting was right. I went ahead and re-applied the path, then the status changed from Not Found to unreadable. See attached screen capture.

I can't find any forum posts on this issue so it doesn't seem to be a common problem. Anyone know what is going on?

I am using Civil 3D 2023.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Tags (1)
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
pendean
in reply to: Neilw_05

Does closing and restarting C3D2023 fix the issue?

S: drive is what/where?

Does the "...2004 Engineering" folder name mean these are old year-2004 era files/images or something else?

"unreadable" and "not found" tend to be different issues, if this happens often, are you by chance facing other C3D 2023 issues recently with XREFs and attachments?

is your software current? ABOUT command screenshot please.
Message 3 of 23
ChicagoLooper

Based on your description, it's not behaving like an XREF, despite showing up in External References palette. What's in the folder alongside the Google Earth.jpg? 

Are you able to open the image using the default Windows image viewer or using Adobe acrobat? What does it look like when you open it using an image viewer? 

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 4 of 23
Neilw_05

Chicago: There are no other files in the Google Earth folder. I can open and view the image fine in Windows. I detached and reattached it and it loads fine. No idea why these images become unreadable in ACAD. First they are fine then something changes. I have to detach and re-attach them to fix them.

Dean: The Land Desktop folder was set up by our IT dept long before I came to work here. There are too many file/folder references to change the name so we keep it as is. The files I am working in are current Civil 3D dwgs. In today's instance the status was Not Found when I opened the file, then became Unreadable after I re-pathed it.

About screen shot attached.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 5 of 23
ChicagoLooper

Hmmm...that's a strange one.

I'm wondering whether, RELOAD would've worked just as well as detach/reattach.

101.png 

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 6 of 23
Neilw_05

No, reload doesn't help.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 7 of 23
Cadguru42

I wonder if this is related to another issue I've been having. I have some drawings made in C3D 2022 (latest updates) where I'm using GEOMAPs. After getting the area I needed I did the Capture Area. Every time I open a drawing with a captured area image I get a Missing XREF warning, but the missing XREF is empty. It shows just empty quotes. The map loads after dismissing the warning, so I've kinda ignored it. I do wonder if this is somehow related, though.

C3D 2022-2025
Windows 11
32GB RAM
Message 8 of 23
Neilw_05
in reply to: Cadguru42

If it is related it has nothing to do with the workflow. I am not using GEOMAPS at all. I'm just inserting JPG's.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 9 of 23
Cadguru42

@Neilw_05 wrote:

If it is related it has nothing to do with the workflow. I am not using GEOMAPS at all. I'm just inserting JPG's.

But they are both image references, which is why I was wondering if they're related in some way. Both of us seem to have an issue with image references not being found even though we're using different methods and images.

C3D 2022-2025
Windows 11
32GB RAM
Message 10 of 23
Neilw_05

For me it is not just an image not found issue. For example, I copy a Cover Sheet layout from another file that has location and vicinity maps inserted. The new project needs the same images, just for different locations. So all I need to do is remap the old images to the new. After doing the remaps, they became unreadable. This has been happening over the last year maybe.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 11 of 23
ChicagoLooper

Are the 'Not Found" images from Captured Areas derived Bing aerial maps?

If they are, they should only be used for reference, not for deliverables. Captured images don't cooperate. They don't appear in the Xref palette. Why?

And their borders don't behave like xrefs. If you grab the corner of a captured image you can increase (or decrease) the image's coverage area and that's not xref behavior. Did you really capture an image or did you just define the extents so only a portion is displayed while others portions become hidden?

Various images at many locations can be downloaded at no charge. Since they are available for public viewing without any expectation of payment and download without any offer to pay for those images, the user is free to use them. As long a user DOESN'T claim they're something they're not, such as a 'This is a survey ,' the user is safe.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 12 of 23
Cadguru42
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

@ChicagoLooper wrote:

Are the 'Not Found" images from Captured Areas derived Bing aerial maps?

If they are, they should only be used for reference, not for deliverables. Captured images don't cooperate. They don't appear in the Xref palette. Why?

And their borders don't behave like xrefs. If you grab the corner of a captured image you can increase (or decrease) the image's coverage area and that's not xref behavior. Did you really capture an image or did you just define the extents so only a portion is displayed while others portions become hidden?

Various images at many locations can be downloaded at no charge. Since they are available for public viewing without any expectation of payment and download without any offer to pay for those images, the user is free to use them. As long a user DOESN'T claim they're something they're not, such as a 'This is a survey ,' the user is safe.

For me, this is what happens right after I get the Online Maps dialog asking if it's OK to sign in to use them.

Cadguru42_0-1691775273889.png

And yes, I did the Capture Area of the Bing maps that's part of the GEOMAPs feature. The image itself is a Geomap Image object type that behaves the way you described. 

C3D 2022-2025
Windows 11
32GB RAM
Message 13 of 23
Neilw_05

I am using multiple sources...Snap Shots from PDF, jpg's generated from our local GIS mapping service, etc. I don't use BING at all, nor any other dynamic imaging service. These are standalone JPG's. As I said, I have no problem inserting them, nor do I have problems with them loading when I open the dwgs. This only happens when I re-path as I mentioned. The latest incident was unusual in that nothing got changed before it went unreadable.

Apparently this is not a known issue in the community. I'll file a support request to see if ADESK has anything.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 14 of 23
coshiro-leavitt

Hi Neilw_05 - I've been having the same issues as you've described in this thread - currently some of my images loaded correctly and some are unreadable. Can you post anything ADESK shares with you? Thanks!

Message 15 of 23
Neilw_05
in reply to: coshiro-leavitt

I submitted a support request. They did not have any answers. I didn't have a file to use for trouble shooting so I closed the case. If you have a file that is misbehaving, maybe you could go over it with them.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 16 of 23
coshiro-leavitt

Thanks for reaching out!

Message 17 of 23
neilyj666

@Neilw_05 I've had this issue too.

I typically extract screenshots from my Infraworks model and put them in a drawing for submission. For the next project I thought I'd use the last drawing I produced as it was set up correctly with the jpgs located and scaled correctly and that it was simply a matter of repathing the new jpgs but I got the unreadable message so I had to revert back to first principles.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 18 of 23
Neilw_05

I have encountered the problem again. I am posting some files if anyone wants to have a go at it. I'll also submit to ADESK.

UPDATE: I just discovered the images will load after re=pathing if I close and re-open the dwg, at least in this file. This is the first time I've noticed that happen. As I noted previously, I encountered this behavior AFTER I closed and reopened a dwg. Now I doubt the files I posted will be of any use for troubleshooting as-is. Try changing the path to some different images and see if it happens. Let me know your image source.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 19 of 23
ChrisRS

This looks complicated.

Maybe you could simplify it by putting everything in the cloud.

I understand that is where all the cool kids hang out.

😁

Christopher Stevens
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 20 of 23
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: Cadguru42

ACC

AutoCad Construction Cloud?

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report