Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grip issues with Civil 3D (and Map 3D) 2018

46 REPLIES 46
SOLVED
Message 1 of 47
jporter
8812 Views, 46 Replies

Grip issues with Civil 3D (and Map 3D) 2018

This is more of an FYI because it's a known issue on the Map 3D forum (https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-map-3d-forum/grips-bug-with-map-3d-2018/m-p/7028919/highlight...).  But as you can see it's happening in Civil 3D 2018 as well.  In this video I cannot add multiple vertices to a polyline in Civil 3D 2018:

Jason Porter
ASTI Civil Solutions Technical Advisor
www.asti.com
46 REPLIES 46
Message 2 of 47
kboldt
in reply to: jporter

jporter, I am in the same boat as your screencast. I will get the context menu for editing a grip once, and then after I use it once, I have to escape to remove the selection, and then re-select the polyline, at which point I can complete an "add vertex" etc., but again, only once.

I am on Windows 10 64bit, using Civil 3D 2018 with no modifications or migrated settings.

Message 3 of 47
Jeff_M

I am not experiencing this issue with C3D 2018. This is what About shows for the version and updates:

5-19-2017 11-54-34 AM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 47
sirjoelsph
in reply to: kboldt

I also get the same behavior in Civil 3D 2018, even after the 2018.02 update.  I usually don't wait around for the hover and right click menu to appear, I just click and select Ctrl to cycle through the options, but that also is not working.

-JOEL
Message 5 of 47
jporter

I too have the 2018.02 update. And yes, it's still happening.
Jason Porter
www.asti.com
Message 6 of 47
Jeff_M

I now realized that I tested on mt Win7 laptop. Testing on my Win10 machine I am seeing the same as you. If I enter RE after each vertex is added I can continue on without having the reselect the polyline. I tested changing the Hardware acceleration settings with no affect on the issue.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 47
jporter

Interesting. I'm on Windows 8.1. is everyone else here NOT on Windows 7?
Jason Porter
www.asti.com
Message 8 of 47
klugb

Jason,

I get the same behavior as you at home & work.

Work is Windows 7 Professional

Home is Windows 10 Home

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 9 of 47
tcorey
in reply to: Jeff_M

Typing RE is better than deselect/reselect. Thanks for that tidbit, Jeff.

This feature does work correctly in vanilla AutoCAD 2018.

My guess is this will be fixed in the first service pack. For many users, this is a productivity buster and a huge annoyance.

Jason, thanks for starting the thread. I hope you have also created a support case. When you get an answer, would you post it here?

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 10 of 47
jporter

Autodesk is already aware of this. The post began on the Map 3D forum. I already posted to it letting them know it's also in Civil 3D. I just put it out here so the Civil community is aware. If I hear anything I'll update the discussion.
Jason Porter
www.asti.com
Message 11 of 47
albionpjl

We just upgraded to C3d 2018, and I'm having the same issue. I'll go join the Map discussion.
I'm using Win 7 professional.

Message 12 of 47
Anonymous

Glad to see I'm not alone.  I made another post about this but didn't do near as good of a job explaining it as you did.  The screencast was very helpful to explain...

I'm having the exact same issue.  Hope they fix it soon!

Message 13 of 47
Anonymous

Having the same issue on C3D '18 on Windows 7 Professional, but something I did notice is it's just for polylines. When grip editing a hatch boundary the same issue does not occur. Does anyone know anything about the faded plus signs (+) that pop up after you edit a Pline grip? I noticed that after you edit a grip, the plus sign will pop up by the center of the segment you altered, but if you zoom out it will regen and every segment will have the same plus sign. Perhaps this has something to do with the grips essentially locking.

Message 14 of 47
albionpjl
in reply to: Anonymous

I was going to post that I hadn't seen the grey plus signs, but I just had a play and discovered that if I stretch a pline using a central grip, and then use the mouse wheel to pan, the plus sign appears.
If I edit a pline and then go to hover my mouse over a central node, the plus sign appears, but not if I hover over a node.
I have no idea if it did that in the last release.
~~~ quickly fires up C3d 2016~~~ no it doesn't do that in the last version; there are no grey plusses unless you have two identical plines, one on top of the other.

Message 15 of 47
Anonymous
in reply to: albionpjl

Yes, and when you have 2 identical polylines (or grips in the same spot) you cannot alter those grips if both polylines are selected.

Message 16 of 47
BrianHailey

I've also noticed some weird issues with grip editing labels. The first grip edit works fine but if you want to continue to adjust the grip, it moves it by a factor of 2. Doesn't seem to do this for lines or polylines though.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 17 of 47
Anonymous
in reply to: BrianHailey

Interesting, Ill let the rest of our crew know about those label grips. 

Recently, I was just editing some grips on a treeline and I hit shift or some accidental combination of buttons while I was dragging the grip along an extension and when i clicked it created 2 duplicates of the same closed polyline at different points along said extension. I thought it may be a visual issue at first because one of the duplicates was still highlighted as if i was scrolled over it with my cursor, but I did a quick REA and found that was not the case. Because of this accidental discovery I'd say the issue must be some sort of temporary duplicate polyline being created when editing grips, but when you ESC out or RE it gets rid of it.

Message 18 of 47
BrianHailey
in reply to: Anonymous

When grip editing, if you hold down the control key, it should make a copy.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 19 of 47
jporter
in reply to: BrianHailey

Ah, the plot thickens.  Thanks for pointing this out @BrianHailey.  I hadn't had an issue with the labels as of yet.  Good to know though because I know it's coming.  I hope Autodesk finds a solution soon. 

Jason Porter
www.asti.com
Message 20 of 47
Anonymous

Just installed service pack 1 for 2018.  Still having the same issue... can only edit a grip once then have to deselect, reselect. etc.  About info...

Autocad2018.1.png

Windows 7 professional.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report