AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JOB BOM Item Number / Ortho Item Number

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
451 Views, 4 Replies

JOB BOM Item Number / Ortho Item Number

I’m looking to see if Plant 3D  has the ability to have an item bubble on the JOB MASTER BOM and then have that number used across all Ortho drawings for an entire project.   

I did search the AutoDesk Community page and found this link below…this will work, but is not a great solution…I will have to still manually enter items and was hoping there was a better solution.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-plant-3d-forum/master-bom-for-all-ortho-views/m-p/4957292/hig...

Example: Pipe 8” ND, A312 Gr 304L S/S to have item Bubble “5” in the Master BOM.  On spool drawing 3, I want the ID number for this 8” Pipe to be Bubble/ID “5” not item “1” because it is the first item called out on the spool.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Slawomir_
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you found way to do this? I'm interested too in this feature. Please share your solution if such exists. By the way, I'm afraid that this task is impossible. Probably it will work only on single  drawing with multiple viewports, layouts as it is stated in post 2 of similar topic which you have mentioned before. (It was 4 years ago, perhaps something was improved.)

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Slawomir_

As of now, the only solution I could come up with is to create a view of the entire skid, and then spool out each drawing as mentioned in other posts...I will let you know if I find a different / better way to do this...

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Create a BOM item number property in the project setup for all piping and
equipment. Assign a BOM number to each component.

Create a new or edit the BOM annotation to call on this property, enter the
viewport and annotate by right clicking on item.
Message 5 of 5
Garrett.Brothers

This solution presents issues, as multiple components should use the same BoM number (ex: two identical elbows). I suspect "Assign a BoM number to each component" could be automated, but that's a small part of it.

You'd also need these numbers to match any BoM you put on a drawing -- if my hypothetical elbows are called out as #21 but the automatic BoM I can pull for a viewport lists them as #3, that doesn't help -- so I think you'd have to create a custom table that pulls the custom BoM property...

Ultimately, you could do this via code or API, but you're basically a software developer at that point, not a (mechanical) engineer or designer.

Yeah, the easiest way to do this is to put a view of the whole plant off the layout and make the BoM use that viewport (the BoM would also be off the layout). You'd then make the other viewports as needed, using BoM Annotate on the whole table and annotating each view that way.

To make the BoM for that drawing, you'd copy the real BoM, put the copy on the layout, and delete all but the rows you'd need. It's not great, especially because it wouldn't track quantities automatically, but it would look like what you want.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta