Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random change in Dim Scale Linear

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
Anonymous
3505 Views, 23 Replies

Random change in Dim Scale Linear

AutoCAD LT - changes to dim scale linear property in paper space.

Been experiencing this problem occasionally over the last few years, especially since leasing LT a few years ago, but it seems to be getting worse lately.

Dimensions will be correct, but then the dimension will change on its own to some crazy scale - such that a 7'-6" dimension turns into 147'-3 5/8". It is so random, that it will happen in one drawing, but not in others. The change can happen after going from one layout to another, or from model space to the layout, or even just regening the layout.

We only use one dimension style. This is NOT related to selecting model/paper space objects, or annotative/not annotative. We've been using AutoCAD since the 1980's, so we are well versed in the difference. It's a bug in AutoCAD that needs to be fixed.

At this point we are doing a "match property" over all dimensions in a layout prior to every print job and before closing a drawing, to fix the problem. If anyone know of a solution it would be greatly appreciated.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
lage
in reply to: bareiff1

I experience the same problem when DIMASSOC is set to 2. Changing it to 1 solves the problem. This solution always works for me. 

Best regards.

Message 22 of 24
pendean
in reply to: lage

@lage wrote:

I experience the same problem when DIMASSOC is set to 2. Changing it to 1 solves the problem. This solution always works for me. 

Best regards.

FYI...

pendean_0-1687985222157.png

Message 23 of 24
bareiff1
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll give it a try, but I think I want associative dimensions.  Isn't that why this tool is available, so it can be used?

Message 24 of 24
jwinkel2396N
in reply to: Anonymous

I’ve also experienced what I think is either the same or a similar issue, and I think I can explain how to replicate it.

• Start with a new drawing.
  • Create new geometry in model space. I’m just drawing a 12” long horizontal line.
  • Create 2 viewports in paper space. My viewports default to 1:1 scale.
  • Change the scale of viewport 1 to 1”=1’-0”.
  • Match properties from viewport 1 to viewport 2. This should update the scale of viewport 2 to be 1”=1’-0”.
  • Dimension the line in both viewports.
  • Match properties from the dimension of the line in viewport 1 to the dimension of the line in viewport 2.
  • Check the “Dim scale linear” in the properties of the dimension of the line in viewport 2. Mine displays a value of -12.000048.
  • Stretch the dimension in viewport 2. My dimension now changes from 12” to 144.0006”.
  • Check the “Dim scale linear” of the dimension in viewport 2 again. Mine now displays a value of 144.000576.
  • The dimension is still associated.
  • It seems that the step of matching properties of the dimension changes the “Dim scale linear” and I am unable to change it back or fix this dimension. The only thing I can do is delete it and re-dimension the line.

I’m curious if anyone else can replicate this issue.

Edit 1:

Just had a coworker verify that he is able to replicate this, however, we discovered the ability to replicate is dependent upon the method of changing the scale of the first viewport.

• Changing the scale of viewport 1 by the following method will not replicate the issue.
    • Select the viewport, select the down arrow at the center of the viewport, and select the scale of 1”=1’-0”.
    • Note that the “Dim scale linear” of the dimension in this scenario is exactly -12.
  • Changing the scale of viewport 1 by the following method will replicate the issue.
    • Select the viewport, select the “Viewport Scale Control” dropdown in the “Viewports” toolbar, and select the scale of 1”=1’-0”.
    • Note that the “Dim scale linear” of the dimension in this scenario is not exactly -12, mine is showing -12.000048.

Edit 2:

Just noticed this thread is for AutoCAD LT, I’m actually using AutoCAD 2022.

Edit 3:

It looks like the step of matching properties from one viewport to the other is unnecessary. The viewports just need to be created per the directions in edit 1, and properties matched from one dim to the other.

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators