Did you mean: 

Xref PDF Import Vs. PDF Import

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
javier.zavala
6747 Views, 3 Replies

Xref PDF Import Vs. PDF Import

I was just wondering whats the major difference in importing pdfs to  a drawing using Xref PDF Import Vs. PDF Import in autocad 2017.

which one one should I use to import pdfs to drawing? 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
john.vellek
in reply to: javier.zavala

Hi @javier.zavala,

If I understand your question correctly, you want to know the difference between PDFAttach and PDFImport.

The latter will allow you to import the PDF content as AutoCAD geometry  if the PDF was vector based.  PDF Attach will allow you to attach a PDF as if it were an image file.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 4
cadffm
in reply to: javier.zavala

A PDF-Underlay (external reference/xref)
The PDF file content is not part of your dwg, it is only linked to.

Pdfimport try to extract the objects from your pdf file into your dwg as part of the dwg. Vector informations can importet, raster informations can convert to imagefiles which attach as image objects.

Totally different things.
The question is:
Why do you need that odf and what do you want to do with the content?
PDF incl. raster or vector data?

Example: i have a pdf file, the creator send me every week a new one and i need it only as part for my Layout.
I use pdf underlay for this.

Or i have to edit a old drawing, the only source i have is paper and pdf which was created cad.
I use pdf import, then i can edit the new created autocad objects (extracted from pdf file)

Sebastian

Message 4 of 4
javier.zavala
in reply to: cadffm

the example you gave was helpful thank you 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report