Did you mean: 

Unable to edit block

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
Anonymous
34415 Views, 29 Replies

Unable to edit block

Unable to edit or explode the block that has been created with an unsupported character. Example "*plan".

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

save the drawing as DXF, then use a texteditor (like notepad++ or something similar which is able to handle large files).

Then you can replace "*plan" to "xplan", save the file and open the dxf then in AutoCAD.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 30
piyush.parihar24

Can You Share the Screenshot of error message? It will be good to understand
Message 4 of 30
TheCADnoob

Im not sure this will help but does BURST do anything for it?

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 5 of 30
wgoenen

Not sure if this would work either, but have you tried "rename" to remove the unsupported character?  I might even try "-wblock" and make it a file that I can rename, then purge the bad named block.

Message 6 of 30
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Can you share the drawing that contains the block? I would like to see if I can help.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 7 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi John,

Please see attached file.

Thanks
Message 8 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: piyush.parihar24

Hi piyush.parihar24,

Please see attached file.

Thanks
Message 9 of 30
john.vellek

HI @Anonymous,

I am afraid your attachment didn't come through. Try adding it to a zip file and attach it again please.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 10 of 30
Anonymous

Hi John,

Please see attached files.

Thanks

Message 11 of 30
RobDraw

It's an MINSERT which list does not tell you. FLATTEN is supposed to make it so it can be exploded but it is failing because of a "invalid complex object" in the block. I'm pretty sure there is a way around this but can't remember where I've seen it.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 12 of 30
jporter
in reply to: RobDraw

@RobDraw, not sure how you figured out it was an MINSERT block, but kudos to you. 

If it truly is an MINSERT block then this may do the trick:  http://cadtips.cadalyst.com/edit-blocks/explode-minsert  

Also, what is up with all the unnamed blocks in the drawing?  Not advisable to copy and paste so much:

Block Issue - 01.jpg

Block Issue - 02.jpg

Jason Porter
ASTI Civil Solutions Technical Advisor
www.asti.com
Message 13 of 30
RobDraw
in reply to: jporter

@Anonymous wrote:

@RobDraw, not sure how you figured out it was an MINSERT block, but kudos to you. 

If it truly is an MINSERT block then this may do the trick:  http://cadtips.cadalyst.com/edit-blocks/explode-minsert 

It was as simple as checking the properties.

Rob

Message 14 of 30
jporter
in reply to: jporter

Well, DOH on my part. LOL. I only listed the item.

Jason Porter | Senior Civil Technical Advisor
512.758.7346 (d) | 800.899.2784 (o)
jporter@asti.com

Applied Software | Consulting, Services, Software, Go Further
10801 N. Mopac Expressway | Bldg 1, Suite 320
Austin, TX 78759
www.asti.com

[cid:image001.jpg@01CFAB10.C310FA90]

NOTICE: This communication may contain privileged or other confidential information (including attachments). If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that you have received this communication in error, please do not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information. Also, please indicate to the sender that you have received this communication in error, and delete the copy you received. Thank you
Jason Porter
ASTI Civil Solutions Technical Advisor
www.asti.com
Message 15 of 30
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

i opened your drawing and verified that it was indeed a MINSERT.  So, I used BE (Block Edit) to open it, I did a select all, copy and then pasted into a new drawing.  I hope this helps.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 16 of 30
RobDraw

This does not work for me in MEP 2016. The block does not appear in the list in the dialog box and no option to select it that I can see.

Rob

Message 17 of 30
john.vellek

Hi @RobDraw, I can't speak for MEP [just a vanilla forum here :)].

The actual block name is 20160114_DUSIT_1

Capture.PNG

John Vellek

Message 18 of 30
RobDraw

That is a block within the MInserted block. It is not the entire drawing.

Rob

Message 19 of 30
john.vellek

Hi @RobDraw,

Right you are! I apologize but I got interrupted mid-process....

After I copied and pasted the things I could capture using Block Edit there wasn't much remaining. The last few items i simply plotted to a PDF and then inserted as vector geometry using Import PDF in 2017.

Thanks for catching that!

John Vellek

Message 20 of 30
elshawadfy

Hi @Anonymous,

Try this: 

- DGNEXPORT (Some entities - most likely attributes may not make it) -- Follow instructions..

DGN-Export.jpg

- DGNIMPORT in a new file (uncheck insert in this file - top left))..

An explodable dwg attatched (missing some attributes and maybe some other objects..)..

--------------

Blocks starting with * are called Anonymous Blocks, and AutoCAD generates them automatically to handle a lot of things.. for example when changing attribute definitions in an already used blocks, or change a parameter in an inserted dynamic block, or when creating groups, or o handle dimstyles....

They usually can't be inserted directly into the drawing, and can't be edited directly.. some lisps use that as a mean to provide some protection to blocks..

You can insert an anonymous block using the -insert command if you already know the name of the block.. 

Regards..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report