Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning CAD into Side Hustle

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
dainen1042979
553 Views, 9 Replies

Turning CAD into Side Hustle

Since this question apparently isn't legal on any CAD subreddits I'm asking it here. I'm a high school senior that has been working with Tinkercad for years and recently picked up AutoCAD in which I'm pretty decent. I'm interested in finding ways to monetize the skills I have and improve them in the process; though I'm not sure where I'd start. I'd love to get some advice from people that may have had success with this in the past or any ideas on where to start.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

okay nevermind, just actually did research and thats very not allowed. My apologies, please dont revoke my autocad permissions i was just being dumb 

Message 3 of 10
AutoMarcus
in reply to: dainen1042979

Hi Dainen

I'm not sure why you think making money from your AutoCAD skills is against the rules.

most of us have made it our profession.

If AutoCAD programming or drafting is a skill you are good at, then by all means go for it.

some of the ways people make extra coin may be making CAD blocks, customisation and LISP programming.

I also know of quite a few people that do engineering or architectural drafting on the side,

AutoCAD is a very useful and powerful software 

Message 4 of 10
cadffm
in reply to: AutoMarcus

@AutoMarcus 

>>"I'm not sure why you think making money from your AutoCAD skills is against the rules."

Not 'with the skills' is against the rules, but with the software!

(In case of an education license)

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 5 of 10

@dainen1042979 ,

@dainen1042979 wrote:

... I'm interested in finding ways to monetize the skills I have and improve them in the process; 

... I'd love to get some advice from people that may have had success with this in the past or any ideas on where to start.

Read this link as a guide of possible fields you may want to monetize your skills after graduation. 

• Salary Survey Archives

ValentinWSP_6-1691750896523.png

Here are a few learning resource links to help improve your skills:

ValentinWSP_0-1691750647896.png

ValentinWSP_1-1691750647904.png

ValentinWSP_2-1691750648017.png

ValentinWSP_3-1691750648084.png

ValentinWSP_4-1691750648051.png

ValentinWSP_5-1691750648115.png

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Emilio Valentin
Message 6 of 10
pendean
in reply to: dainen1042979

AutoCAD is old. Very old. At your age you need to be diving into newer software, employers are not paying well for autocad-only users compared to other software users

OldAutoCAD.jpg

Message 7 of 10
pkolarik
in reply to: pendean

OP called it a "side hustle" in the title. If OP is looking to do this truly as a side hustle there's a ton more people (at least in my area) who don't care which software platform is used (Revit modeling/BIM gains them nothing) so long as they can get drawings suited to their needs.

These people are typically homeowners (looking to do additions/remodels or even brand new builds) or very small (one or two person shops and upward) companies that don't employ their own drafting staff.

OP, if you're good at 2d (or even 3d autocad) cad, then that's where I'd start;  market your services to homeowners and very small developers/contractors and building from there. Friends/acquaintances can be a good way to spread word too.

Message 8 of 10
pendean
in reply to: pkolarik

@pkolarik wrote:

OP called it a "side hustle" in the title. If OP is looking to do this truly as a side hustle there's a ton more people (at least in my area) who don't care which software platform is used (Revit modeling/BIM gains them nothing) so long as they can get drawings suited to their needs.

Side hustle or full time, no one is paying high-schoolers much for old-AutoCAD when the planet is stuffed full of very experienced older drafters doing it today as side and full time hustles all day long for the same small flat fees offered out there. Note the word EXPERIENCED, aka they understand what they are drawing.

PLUS the OP is on an EDU license, a complete violation of their license agreement with Autodesk whom would slam the OP and the company(s) receiving his files with massive fines and public shaming.

But hey, if you feel that strongly about it and are sure all this well paid work is out there, then reach out to the OP. Remember, an AutoCAD subscription today is US$245/month for commercial use.

Message 9 of 10

@dainen1042979  Good side hustles for drafting are the ones that are not too involving technically speaking.

Here are a few examples : 

Paper Plan reproductions (turning existing old paper plans into digital format)

Building fire exit plans / emegency  contigency plans etc... 

Pre-made plan sets (Sheds, Gazebos, Chicken Coops etc...)

As built drawings (for simple structures or buildings)

Avoid dealing with people or projects that will suck you into a complicated & time consuming abyss. Like product developement, complicated projects and or crazy people who have an invention that needs fabrication plans.  

Set yout prices ''Per Project'' rather than ''Per Hour'';  1/3 payment up front, 1/3 mid project, 1/3 payment at delivery.  Supply them with PDF, DWG format is extra $$.

Message 10 of 10
pendean
in reply to: dany_rochefort

@dany_rochefort wrote:

@dainen1042979 

1) Paper Plan reproductions (turning existing old paper plans into digital format)

2) Building fire exit plans / emegency  contigency plans etc... 

3) Pre-made plan sets (Sheds, Gazebos, Chicken Coops etc...

4) As built drawings (for simple structures or buildings)

For pay scale reference

1) $40-$50 per sheet

2) $10/$15 per sheet

3) $75-$90 per set (may be multiple sheets), remember, they have to sell that after paying you.

4) $35-$50 per sheet, but you'll be competing with large scanners equipped with Raster2Vector software and a CAD user that will just fix the few hiccups that may result in a few minutes.

All the above are the prices quoted by online services that do that kind of work all day long that have pools of drafters abroad, an your primary competition in the space.

Remember, an AutoCAD subscription today is US$245/month for commercial use. Paid in advance. Every Month.

HTH

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta