Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling Tangent Lines

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
434 Views, 7 Replies

Traveling Tangent Lines

This may be an easy fix but it's been difficult Googling exactly what I'm looking for. I guess the best way I can describe my issue is with an example. Let's say I constrain a line tangent to a circle. If I grab the two objects and move them, the line will stay tangent but it will travel off to one side or another. The circle will go to wherever I move it to. I hope that makes sense. Is there a way to keep that where it is and not fly off and do it's own thing?
Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
imadHabash
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi and Welcome,

maybe if you fix object by using GCFIX command line will help.

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: imadHabash

That seems to fix the object where it is in model space. I would basically like to fix them together. Good start but I would still need to be able to move the items.
Message 4 of 8
imadHabash

Hi,

you can get it by adding another parametric option called HORIZONTAL ( see attached ) there you can move both together.

parametric.png

Good Luck...

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
JDMather

It sounds to me like you also need a coincident constraint between the line endpoint and the circle.

I have found that the easiest way to get a Coincident to a circle is to use the Nearest osnap.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: imadHabash

@imadHabash wrote:

Hi,

you can get it by adding another parametric option called HORIZONTAL ( see attached ) there you can move both together....

What if you don't want the line constrained to Horizontal?  I think you still need a Coincident, even if you do.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

The coincident constraint works, so thank you for that! I guess I was just looking for a global solution, so it would know to not travel automatically. Like a inferred constraint, I suppose. But CONSTRAINTINFER doesn't fix the problem. So for now I will use coincident as a hotfix! Thank you again.
Message 8 of 8
JDMather

Inferred coincident constraint is automatic if you use Nearest osnap.  Did you watch the video?  Do you see me adding any coincident constraints?  AutoCAD does it for me automatically.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta