Threaded hole (M4 dimensions) in AutoCAD 2018

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
7688 Views, 4 Replies

Threaded hole (M4 dimensions) in AutoCAD 2018

Hi!

I'm new to autocad 2018 and I'm having trouble finding the hole tool. I need to create a threaded hole for an M4 screw: is there a tool to make standardized (threaded) holes? If yes, where can I find it, and if no, what alternative can I use?

Thanks for your help.

@Anonymous

john.vellek has edited your subject line for clarity: Threaded hole (M4 dimensions)

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member to the AutoCAD forum. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

There is no built -in feature that will draw real threads in AutoCAD.  You can certainly create a helix and then sweep the thread profile long the helix as a path but this requires some math calculations on your side in order to determine the pitch of the thread.

Inventor is likely better suited to this task and there is a rather slick utility in the Autodesk App Store called CoolOrange that might be worth investigation.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Thank you!

Message 4 of 5
Ed.Jobe
in reply to: Anonymous

In AutoCAD, you would just create a cylinder and SUBTRACT  that from the solid body you are working with. Then dimension the hole appropriately. In Inventor, it does not model the actual threads but it is a Hole object with properties that can be used to automate dimensioning. It uses a bitmap image to show the threads. You can also model actual threads similar to what John mentioned if you need to have actual thread geometry.

Ed

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

McMaster-Carr has 3D models (IGES) of every fastener and most mechanical products they sell.

Select the size capscrew you need, click on the part number and you will see a selection of 2D and 3D formats to download.

Use the capscrew in a subtract operation and you have a threaded hole.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta