Did you mean: 

Revert to Old Theme Colors

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Michael.Newman
1652 Views, 14 Replies

Revert to Old Theme Colors

Hi,

So I want to change my bluish new theme color in AutoCAD 2022 back to the old gray color that was present in AutoCAD 2019. It seems that the AutoCAD for Mac community managed to figure it out (link below), but I can't seem to translate their results to Windows 10.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-for-mac-forum/is-there-a-way-to-change-the-color-of-the-dark-...

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you,

Labels (4)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

@Michael.Newman ,

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Emilio Valentin
Message 3 of 15

Thanks but I know how to change the color scheme. I want to modify the dark color theme from being the blue color it currently is, to the gray color that was present in AutoCAD 2019 and earlier.

Message 4 of 15
pendean
in reply to: Michael.Newman

>>>...the gray color that was present in AutoCAD 2019 and earlier...<<<
Never has been an option.
Message 5 of 15
Michael.Newman
in reply to: pendean

@pendean

@Valentin-WSP 

Not saying it was an option per-se. It was just the old theme color, it changed in 2020 by default. I've attached a snip of the old theme that was the standard dark theme color before 2020 (gray), as well as a snip of the new dark theme (blue). I'm trying to get the older color into AutoCAD 2022. If you refer to the link that was in my original post, you will see that this has been accomplished by the AutoCAD for Mac community, but I can not get it to work for Windows 10.

Thanks

Message 6 of 15
pendean

If you need to move to the MAC format, that's your only option today.
What you wish has been asked every single time Autodesk changes the interface very 1-2-3-5-10 versions, and the answer remains the same you get here.

But you are welcome to explore more on the Web and dive into the Windows Registry for editing (make sure you back up your original in case it needs to be restored), plus whatever is possible in win10 interface too https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-color-modes-windows-10-may-2019-update#custom_color_mode_w... and third party apps https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/customize-color-windows-10-free-tool/

HTH
Message 7 of 15

@Michael.Newman ,

There are only "Two color themes are available for you to choose from, dark and light." - 

How Do I Change the Application's Color Theme?

Its a matter of adapting, or change the Windows "Color Filter".

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Emilio Valentin
Message 8 of 15
Michael.Newman

The users on the AutoCAD for Mac forums managed to solve this by modifying the base files for AutoCAD. I just can't seem to modify the base files to make it work on Windows. Here is the accepted solution from the referenced Mac forum post, and the user posted modified versions of these files in order to make AutoCAD revert to the old colors. It seems to work for multiple other users who downloaded the modified base files.

"There is no official way to change colours of Dark Theme back to 2019 "Dark grey".
The only way I've found is to edit two files inside AutoCAD application folder:
- Themes.xml - inside /Applications/Autodesk/AutoCAD 2020/AutoCAD 2020.app/Contents/Frameworks/AcTheme.framework/Versions/Current/Resources folder
and
- main.jsbundle - inside /Applications/Autodesk/AutoCAD 2020/AutoCAD 2020.app/Contents/PlugIns/AcAdvanceToolSet.bundle/Contents/Resources folder
The last one contains information about colours of Tool Sets palette."

@pendean 

@Valentin-WSP 

Message 9 of 15
pendean

@Michael.Newman This is not the MAC forum, MacOS is not WinOS, Apple is not Microsoft, there is no code sharing at that level between the two operating systems, they work differently and AutoCAD on each platform uses the local OS features fully to allow easy or difficult changes a user may or may not need.

Sounds like you are ready to leap over to the MAC version of AutoCAD.

Explore the options in Windows and through 3rd party tools presented in the replies above, PLUS you can tell Autodesk your wishes for future changes here https://www.autodesk.com/company/contact-us/product-feedback

Good luck.
Message 10 of 15
Michael.Newman

Thanks! Maybe someone else can figure out how to modify the WINDOWS version of these base files to achieve the desired result.

Appreciate you trying to help though!

@pendean 

Message 11 of 15

I don't know how to do it, but I strongly defend your desire to revert.  The 2019 and prior grays were much better, and they have the nerve to call the blue an improvement.

Message 12 of 15
dgorsman
in reply to: TerryDotson

@TerryDotson wrote:

I don't know how to do it, but I strongly defend your desire to revert.  The 2019 and prior grays were much better, and they have the nerve to call the blue an improvement.

There's likely a UX expert and several studies which show the color selection as "more effective".  However, despite being technically correct they don't always reflect the smaller user base in specific fields, especially technical ones.  That's how we end up with a Fortnite-skinned engineering program.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 13 of 15
JBohman

Concurring vote from me, that this would be very nice to change.

Message 14 of 15
pendean
in reply to: JBohman

@JBohman wrote:

Concurring vote from me, that this would be very nice to change.

Tell Autodesk all about it here anytime https://www.autodesk.com/company/contact-us/product-feedback

Message 15 of 15
JBohman

Done - thanks for the tip!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report