Publish DWG to PDF file size is very large

62 REPLIES 62
SOLVED
Message 1 of 63
jcavanagh
33005 Views, 62 Replies

Publish DWG to PDF file size is very large

I'm running Windows 7 Professional and using AutoCad 2017.1.1  

Today I needed to send out a PDF of a set of plans for permit submittal.  So as usual I use the Publish command and I'm using the office standard Page Setup that is using the DWG to PDF.pc3 file that is located on the server that the whole office uses.  I made a PDF set of these drawings 2 weeks ago and the PDF size was 16mb, which is the expected size.  For some reason today the pdf is 96mb which is 6 times larger than the previous PDF that I made 2 weeks ago.  There are no images or PDF's that are attached to this set of drawings.  It's all 2D cad work with no thick of heavy hatch patterns.  To test, I opened a totally separate project and did a Publish DWG to PDF.  The file size for this PDF was also 6 times larger than the previous PDF that was made.  To further test, I went to another workstation to publish a dwg to pdf.  The PDF file the was created by this workstation was normal size, 16 mb.  So there must be a setting on my workstation that is incorrectly set.  I tried creating a new DWG to PDF.pc3 using PLOTTERMANAGER and I got the same result.  Any help would be muchly appreciated.

62 REPLIES 62
Message 21 of 63
MarioChiesa
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi @john.vellek,

Transparency is checked in the plot window. I need transparencies on due to using different shades of hatch on my drawings.

My plot process is as follows:

I run the "publish" command, Publish to: PDF, PDF Present: DWG to PDF, Precision is currently None, Publish Options has all boxes checked.

I then hit the publish button and wait for the PDFs to generate.

Message 22 of 63
john.vellek
in reply to: MarioChiesa

HI @MarioChiesa,

How are you sending the PDF to the printer?  If you have Acrobat Reader, when you select print, there is an advanced tab for the Print Setup. Select Print as Image to see if this helps speed things up.

Capture.PNG

Here is an article that details PDF creation and I suggest that you scroll down to the part on Transparency. I think this will help with your issue.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 23 of 63
MarioChiesa

@john.vellek

I send the PDF to the printer via Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. I just attempted the "Print as Image" setting in the advanced tab. It did dramatically help the file by spooling a smaller quantity at a slower rate but this has not completely fixed my problem since the overall spooling size will eventually reach that high number. This process has allowed the PDF to print but very slowly which isn't that great (took 14 minutes+/- to print just one sheet).

Message 24 of 63
Anonymous
in reply to: MarioChiesa

I have here a Network Installation of AutoCAD 2017. All computers are using the same PC3-File (DWG to PDF.pc3) to generate PDF.

Only one of the PC makes small sized PDF, all others generate big sizes of PDF - with the same PC3-file!

I have also the effect with plotting fullsized plans (with all edges=0)  "DWG to PDF.PC3" , but not on this only one PC.....

I think that the cause of this issure is a local problem of AutoCAD 2017:

If I open the small sized PDF in the Acrobat Reader I see "PDF created with pdfplot13.hdi 13.00.052.000"

If I open the big sized PDF in the Acrobat Reader I see "PDF created with pdfplot13.hdi 13.00.301.000"

When I use the same "DWG to PDF.pc3" with AutoCAD 2015, all works fine on every computer.

Message 25 of 63
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> Only one of the PC makes small sized PDF, all others generate big sizes of PDF - with the same PC3-file!

With the same (exact same) drawing?

Then it's up to you to verify the settings of

• visual styles used in the viewports
  • settings in the plot-dialog
  • pdf-settings as sub-config in the plot-dialog ==>

20170529_123844.png

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 26 of 63
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

we solved the Problem.

All AutoCAD 2017 PDF-Printer  (*.pc3-files) are using the file "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2017\Drv\pdfplot13.hdi".

If the Version of the file is 1.1-13.0.52.0, you get small sized PDF

If the Version of the file is 1.1-13.3.01.0, you get big sized PDF
Changing the settings in the plot-dialog didn't change the PDF-size.
We changed now on all computers this file to the Version 1.1-13.0.52.0 and all works fine. 

Here you can see the Version of your hdi-file:

123.JPG

Message 27 of 63
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

My driver shows 1.1-13.0.402.0 [v018-1] in AutoCAD 2017.1.2 Update.

Capture.PNG

This is due to the driver shown is always from the last installed application. (See Article  for more information).

I would wager that the newest build is probably the one you will want to use.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 28 of 63
TuRK_182
in reply to: jcavanagh

Hello,

I have been reading this thread and have similar issue but with a twist - my CAD files contain PDF x'refs. I find that Publishing makes the final PDF very, very large. Three sheets with tables and drawing notes and the final printed PDF file is +12MB. I am coming to conclusion that the x'ref PDF are the culprits. So, is there a way to downsize the x'ref PDF? We had resorted to converting the PDF to images then inserting the images but that is one extra step we want to stop.

Thanks.

Ted

Message 29 of 63
john.vellek
in reply to: TuRK_182

Hi @TuRK_182,

Which version of AutoCAD are you using? IF 2017.1 or newer, I suggest that you use the PDFIMPORT to bring the PDF's in as vector geometry or if they contain raster images then the images get inserted automatically as PNG files. The PNG files are very small.

Capture.PNG

If you want to continue using the xref process, use this command on each PDF to a separate dwg that can be xref'd as necessary into other files.

John Vellek

Message 30 of 63
TuRK_182

our office is using Release 2017. My Engineers create the tables in Excel and they export the tables and notes to PDF so we cannot accidentally mess up the formatting. We then insert the PDF as x'ref allowing the Engineers to keep making changes and we have a live drawing. We have tried using the tool you have suggested a few times - some success and failures, like right now.

Capture.PNG

This message is one I have not seen before. I changed a setting to NOT create a block and the specifications worked. Now I am trying to do same for the tables and am now faced with a formatting issue -

Capture_1.PNG 

If we can get this tool to work properly (fix AutoCAD or Excel table formatting), it would be beneficial. Our only issue is that once the notes / tables are inserted our ability for a live drawing is gone - though we can apply this tool once the plans are ready to be shipped.

Thanks for feedback

Message 31 of 63
john.vellek

Hi @TuRK_182,

Is it possible to share some sample files?  I would like to know how the original PDF files are created in the respective applications and whether or not the fonts are getting embedded.

In order to retain all the fonts and formatting, it might very well be necessary to attach the PDFs but I am wondering if the resolution on them can be dropped down a bit to help with the file size. I am happy to look at the files to make some suggestions.

John Vellek

Message 32 of 63
TuRK_182

Sure John,

I am uploading a test copy with the spec.s and tables inserted and copy of same tab with text / table imported.

Ted

Message 33 of 63
Anonymous

please find attached pdf created from autocad 2015, this same file creating
from autocad 2017 23 mb
Message 34 of 63
Anonymous

i am not use any pdf file as a xref. still i create pdf from autocad 2017
file size become large
Message 35 of 63
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Please try another post as the attachment did not come through. Try using a different browser to see if that is more successful.

John Vellek

Message 36 of 63
TuRK_182

ok, using Windows IE.

Enclosed are the files once more

Message 37 of 63
john.vellek

Hi @TuRK_182,

Is there a reason that you could not use datalinks to bring in the Excel data? You can retain the Excel formatting and it will be a live link.  If this is not possible, it appears that the tables have a background fill applied to most cells. Is it possible to set them to none and use the color fill on the other cells you want to highlight as there are a lot less of them. This might make a big difference in output size. (I don't have your spreadsheet files so I can't test for you.)

John Vellek

Message 38 of 63
TuRK_182

yes, we know that the excel file can be linked. We had an issue some time ago where our plans were "modified" without our knowledge because the Engineer didn't realize this and edited his file. When we plotted our drawing for sealing the information in his tables didn't meet project spec.s. Of course our Drafting Tech was asked as to how HE inserted incorrect info.

We made a policy that the Engineers' final design (tables, spec.s, etc) that we have to add to our drawings is in the form of a PDF.

We know that there is an alternative - insert digital images (PNG, JPEG) but this is one extra step and depending on the size of the project (similar to the provided example), the task to create images can take a longer time (but will produce a smaller printed file).

Message 39 of 63
john.vellek

Hi @TuRK_182,

I guess my remaining question on this issue is whether or not MOST of the specs stay the same from job to job? If so, I suggest that you put the text and charts into AutoCAD as AutoCAD entities and then use the PDF attachments on an as-needed basis. This would reduce the file size considerably.

There are also third-party add-ins that could possibly help you to keep your drawing versions linked to the engineer's files. You might check in the Autodesk App Store to see if there is anything there that might be useful.

John Vellek

Message 40 of 63
Anonymous

we have 2 machines one running 2016 standard cad and myself running C3D 2017 both have the same dpi and layers uchecked as we don't want layered PDF as a file output difference of 15mb vs 33mb and we need transparency on

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta