Publish DWG to PDF file size is very large

62 REPLIES 62
SOLVED
Message 1 of 63
jcavanagh
32992 Views, 62 Replies

Publish DWG to PDF file size is very large

I'm running Windows 7 Professional and using AutoCad 2017.1.1  

Today I needed to send out a PDF of a set of plans for permit submittal.  So as usual I use the Publish command and I'm using the office standard Page Setup that is using the DWG to PDF.pc3 file that is located on the server that the whole office uses.  I made a PDF set of these drawings 2 weeks ago and the PDF size was 16mb, which is the expected size.  For some reason today the pdf is 96mb which is 6 times larger than the previous PDF that I made 2 weeks ago.  There are no images or PDF's that are attached to this set of drawings.  It's all 2D cad work with no thick of heavy hatch patterns.  To test, I opened a totally separate project and did a Publish DWG to PDF.  The file size for this PDF was also 6 times larger than the previous PDF that was made.  To further test, I went to another workstation to publish a dwg to pdf.  The PDF file the was created by this workstation was normal size, 16 mb.  So there must be a setting on my workstation that is incorrectly set.  I tried creating a new DWG to PDF.pc3 using PLOTTERMANAGER and I got the same result.  Any help would be muchly appreciated.

62 REPLIES 62
Message 2 of 63
john.vellek
in reply to: jcavanagh

Hi @jcavanagh,

I haven't experienced this on my computer sine applying the update.

Please try a test for me. Plot to PDF using the AutoCAD PDF (General Documentation).PC3 and tell me if the size still comes out exceptionally large.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 63
jcavanagh
in reply to: john.vellek

The filesize outcome was the same when using the stock AutoCAD PDF (General Documentation).pc3.

Message 4 of 63
john.vellek

Hi @jcavanagh,

Can you share a dwg file with me? I will try producing PDFs in a couple different versions with different drivers and settings. I hope to resolve this quickly for you.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 5 of 63
john.vellek

Hi @jcavanagh,

I wanted to check back with you on this issue. In summary, I was able to take your files and produce an 8 MB PDF right out of the box. However you were still not seeing the same results until you tried a new Windows user profile. When you logged in as a new user then this process worked correctly.

Please update your status with a post.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 6 of 63
jcavanagh

Since my current user account is on a domain in our office I'm not able to transfer my current profile information to a new Windows 7 user account.  I'm going to try and uninstall Autocad 2017 on my current user account and see if that fixes the issue.  So as of now the issue has not been resolved.  I'll keep you posted.

Message 7 of 63
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

when you run _PUBLISH, which option had you selected for "Publish to", was that "Plitter named in page setup" or "PDF".

Also good to test: when you run command _PLOT for just one layout, look to the setting of "PDF Options" and within that verify the "Font handling".

Having "Convert all text to geometry" active creates bigger PDF-files (and depending on the amount of text-like objects that can really create PDF's 10 times bigger than having the text object not converted to geometry.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 8 of 63
jcavanagh
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Alfred,

When I create a project I create a PDF - FULLSIZE page setup.  Then when I need to publish a PDF in the "Publish to:" filed I select, PDF.  Then I select all of the sheets in the project and in the "Page Setup" column I select the PDF-FULLSIZE setup that I created.  For font handling changing from having a check mark next to Convert all text to geometry, to having a check mark next to Capture fonts used in the drawing to not having either of the options selected only changes the size of the pdf my 400kb.  

So I haven't tested this before today.  I went to publish a set of drawings and in the "Publish to:" field I selected, "Plotter named in page setup" and in the Page Setup column I selected my PDF-FULLSIZE page setup.  The filesize went page to normal, 7.8mb instead of the 50mb.  So apparently the AutoCAD "Publish to:" PDF driver is corrupt on my workstation.

So this is apparently the solution to my issue.  Thank you for the help everyone 🙂

Message 9 of 63
john.vellek

Hi @jcavanagh, if you deselect the include hyperlink options in the PDF options, does the file output size again increase?

John Vellek

Message 10 of 63
jcavanagh

John,

I never have, "Included hyperlinks" checked.  I do have, "Include layer information" checked.  I've tested it with it being unchecked and it doesn't affect the size of the PDF.

Message 11 of 63
Anonymous

I'm having this same issue. I installed the 2017 updates recently and I now have a major difference in PDF plot size. I have a drawing that I plotted on 12/5 at 994kb, which is now plotting at 22,282kb with the same exact print setup. I've double checked the font handling and that looks good. Files are attached for reference.

Shawn M.

Tags (1)
Message 12 of 63
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

Check to see if in the PDF options that Hyperlinks are included. If that box is unchecked then the files do grow in size.

Capture.PNG

John Vellek

Message 13 of 63
Anonymous

Thanks! That fixed my problem. I guess that got unchecked with the update for some reason.

Shawn M.

Message 14 of 63
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I am glad it was such an easy fix!

John Vellek

Message 15 of 63
Anonymous

sir,

I am shihab, working ch2m hill. i got same issue in autocad 2017. auto cad 2015 no problem. when i plot to pdf through 2017 file size is 53MB but same file plot through 2015 it will 4MB only. how can solve this issue.

with regards 

shihab

Message 16 of 63
john.vellek

Hi Shihab,

I see that you are visiting as a new member. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Have you applied the service pack and updates to your installation of AutoCAD 2017? If so, then the above solution should work for you. If you can attach a sample file to a post I would like to compare the output PDF from my computer to yours.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 17 of 63
MarioChiesa

Hi,

I've been having this same problem with AutoCAD 2018, I have been using 2015 until recently and when I produce PDF files through the "publish" command then my PDF files reach excessively large spooling sizes during the printing process (78mb+/-) when it may usually be around 16-22mb. I have messed around with some of the settings to see if I can get it to lower in size but nothing seems to work.

Any chance that someone can help with this problem?

I do not have "Include layer information, Include hyperlinks or Create bookmarks" checked in the PDF Publish Options box.

I do have "Capture fonts used in the drawing" checked.

Vector quality is 600 dpi, Raster image quality is 600 dpi (lowering these does not affect the file size/spooling size).

Message 18 of 63
Anonymous
in reply to: MarioChiesa

I believe if you check those three boxes in the PDF options, this will reduce your file size. This fixed the problem for me.

Good Luck,

dfwcad

Message 19 of 63
MarioChiesa

Just attempted that and ran the PDFs, my file size is 3.29mb which is about normal anyways but when I send it to the printer for 24x36 prints then it spools up to 75.2mb so unfortunately that didn't fix my problem..

Message 20 of 63
john.vellek
in reply to: MarioChiesa

Hi @MarioChiesa,

Can you check the transparency settings in the plot window? I suspect that if you turn off transparency the resulting PDF might work better for your plotter.

Can you describe your plot process? It would also be nice if you could attach a sample dwg file as well as your plot style file so I can test on my side.

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta