Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OLE excel sheets only go in on Top View?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
Colin-Pearson
909 Views, 18 Replies

OLE excel sheets only go in on Top View?

Hey folks.  I copy/pasted about 8,000 times cursing at CAD trying to paste an OLE excel sheet from one dwg to another.  The OLEs are on the Top View in one dwg but I'd like them in the Side View in the second.  When I am in the second dwg on Side View and paste them in, they go onto the Top View.  Is that the only place they can live at?  Thanks!!

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
ed57gmc
in reply to: Colin-Pearson

It sounds like you're trying to paste the sheet into modelspace. That doesn't make any sense, since the sheet isn't modeling anything. Try pasting the sheet into paperspace.

Ed

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 3 of 19
pendean

Do you just need help rotating your UCS and adjusting PLAN to use "current UCS" before you paste? Not that your OLE image might has display issues with some SHADEMODE settings.

Or is it something else you need?
Message 4 of 19

I'm a pretty literal and visual person.  My drawing is set up North=Y+, East=X+ and Up=Z+.  Right now I'm working on some stuff that is on the south face of a structure so I draw all that on VIEW, LEFT.  I've never used the VIEWCUBE, always just the VIEW command, and the only time I ever reset the UCS is after aligning it to a FACE or 3-POINT or something like that... so if aligning my current view to PLAN is the same as making the current view the TOP view, I don't think I want to do that b/c of how literal/visual my mind works.  I get that it's just rotated 90°, and I've done l the matirx transforms in linear algebra and all that kind of stuff, but I still gotta have TOP looking down at the 'ground' plane of the drawing LOL, or my head explodes.  So really I'm trying to have the OLE paste into my (vertical) Y-Z plane which corresponds to my LEFT view.  Is that possible?  Thanks so much for trying to help out!

Message 5 of 19
pendean

@Colin-Pearson Start here

https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-BAF31027-04B3-45BC-832B-074865CE8749#:~:text=...

Then do this

https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-3779DF52-AA24-47D2-B72C-018D4A9011DD#:~:text=...

Now you can paste to that "view" and not "top view" as you called it.

Repeat for each and every other "visual look/area" you want.

Message 6 of 19
Colin-Pearson
in reply to: pendean

thanks for those links, but I really don't understand...  I was on the "left" view, but it also coincides with the XY plane.  I entered the PLAN command on the left view (while it was square with the screen, I just rotated so I could get the second screenshot)...  Anyway, I entered PLAN, the CURRENT while I was in the left view, square with the screen, and I was seeing XY on the UCS icon.  Then when I paste from the other dwg (also in XY square with the screen), the OLEs go into the 'top' plane.  They show as rectangle in the second screenshot, until I go to the top view and they display normally.  What am I missing here?

Screenshot 2024-07-18 071723.png

Screenshot 2024-07-18 071739.png

  

Message 7 of 19
Colin-Pearson

@pendean 

thanks for those links, but I really don't understand...  I was on the "left" view, but it also coincides with the XY plane.  I entered the PLAN command on the left view (while it was square with the screen, I just rotated so I could get the second screenshot)...  Anyway, I entered PLAN, the CURRENT while I was in the left view, square with the screen, and I was seeing XY on the UCS icon.  Then when I paste from the other dwg (also in XY square with the screen), the OLEs go into the 'top' plane.  They show as rectangle in the second screenshot, until I go to the top view and they display normally.  What am I missing here?

  

Message 8 of 19
Colin-Pearson

@ed57gmc 

Thank you for the response.  I'm definitely trying to paste into MS, but I'm not sure why that doesn't make any sense?  They 're just some calcs that I'd like to keep right there b/s I'm constantly having to update them, and the results tell me how to change a dynamic block.

@pendean 

  

Message 9 of 19

sorry for the multiple replies LOL, the page was glitching for a minute there.

Message 10 of 19
pendean

@Colin-Pearson  Share your DWG file here if you can please... .

Message 11 of 19

deleted an XREF but I don't think that will matter.  trying to COPYBASE and PASTE the OLEs from the "2D Blocks" attachment into the "C21 xref".  Thanks!

Message 12 of 19
ed57gmc

@Colin-Pearson 

Rather than try to do everything in modelspace, I suggest that you use modelspace for what it is intended, just the model. Then create paperspace views of the model using the VIEWBASE command. After  you place the base view, the command continues and allows you to place top, side and ortho views. The views update as the model changes. That way, you can keep 2D annotation organized and just where you want it, so that it looks right. I'm attaching a sample dwg so you can see what I mean. This way you can place your OLE in paperspace where you don't have to jump through all these hoops.

Ed

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 13 of 19
pendean

@Colin-Pearson wrote:

...trying to COPYBASE and PASTE the OLEs from the "2D Blocks" attachment into the "C21 xref"...

Well, now you mention this nugget of information: your OLE's location is pre-determined by the other DWG file, that's likely your problem. Did you lose that external file or lose access to it?

Also... our destination file's "top" view is not actually the top when UCS and PLAN commands are both set to WORLD.

Your source file's UCS and PLAN are set to WORLD. That's your problem, you lost track of your space orientation and your content is now off

pendean_0-1721313013193.png

pendean_1-1721313072797.png

You are actually in LEFT

pendean_2-1721313123221.png

Now your two files match, oops

pendean_3-1721313158037.png

Message 14 of 19
Colin-Pearson
in reply to: ed57gmc

@ed57gmc I do use PS for sheets that get printed, but I don't need these calcs to be on paper ever.  They're just notes to myself so I know what to set a dynamic block's properties to.

Message 15 of 19
ed57gmc

@Colin-Pearson wrote:

@ed57gmc I do use PS for sheets that get printed, but I don't need these calcs to be on paper ever.  They're just notes to myself so I know what to set a dynamic block's properties to.

Oh, ok. I thought they were a table, like a BOM or something used for construction.

Ed

How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 16 of 19
Colin-Pearson

@pendean holy cow now I'm way confused LOL.  I still have access to the source file of the OLEs.  The views were not what I wanted in that file (another fellow started it) so I was trying to take the OLEs into the file that I'm using that's oriented the way I am used to.    

I've never used that cube b/c it's visually obtrusive to me.  Is there a difference between using that and the VIEW commands I have a toolbar for?  And is it weird that I've clicked what I would take as the 'left' view, but he cube shows TOP?

The destination file top view makes sense to me though, there's a whole 3D structure that's XREF'd into my drawing that is oriented such that when I hit the top view in my toolbar, I am looking down at it in plan.  The left button on the toolbar corresponds with the west face of the structure, and looking to the east is the view that I would expect to be seeing if looking from the left.  

thanks for your feedback!

Message 17 of 19
Colin-Pearson
in reply to: ed57gmc

@ed57gmc - makes sense, gotcha. No sir, jsut some notes for myself.
Message 18 of 19
pendean

See attached, your own file, layer called DEMONSTRATION is what you asked for I believe, different planes with the OLE inserted "correctly".

First, I CTRL+C while UCS and PLAN are both set to WORLD.

Rotated the cube to three different orientations: in each I then set UCS command to "VIEW" and PLAN command to "CURRENT UCS", then pasted in your previously copied OLE.

I put back UCS and PLAN to WORLD before saving the file.

In our funky oriented DWG file, that's all you need to do...

"...UCS command to "VIEW" and PLAN command to "CURRENT UCS", then pasted in your previously copied OLE..."

HTH

Message 19 of 19
Colin-Pearson

@pendean WHOA.  things are gettign weird LOL, I think it's time to admit defeat, but I appreciate your help.

Screenshot 2024-07-18 120403.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report