unable to save DWG TO DXF

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
9443 Views, 11 Replies

unable to save DWG TO DXF

Hello everyone,

im new here and this is my first post. I am using Autocad 2014 and im trying to save a dwg to dxf but it keeps on saving and saving and saving, it never finishes saving it. i hope you guys understand what im talking about. I need to specifically save it to Autocad R12 dxf format. thank you.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
artc2
in reply to: Anonymous

What happens if you try to save to a newer dxf format?

Unlike saving to other DXF formats, saving to an R12 DXF format is a two step process. First we save to R13 DXF and then we use a separate converter to convert the R13 DXF file to an R12 DXF file. Depending on what's in your file, the conversion from R13 to R12 can be quite lengthy. If your file contains a lot of entity types that don't exist in R12, then a lot of translation will be needed which can take time.
Message 3 of 12
TheCADnoob

Have you tried to AUDIT and PURGE your document before saving to DXF?

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 4 of 12
john.vellek

Hi Planning_Tech

Try saving the drawing down to the oldest version you can first and then try to create the DXF. Running Audit and -Purge will also help you to clean up the drawing. You could even wblock the entire contents of the drawing to a new file to see if that helps with the issue.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

I've tried the PURGE and AUDIT command and also saving it to a lower version and then saving it to dxf and NOTHING! Still doing the same thing. It just keeps.....saving........saving.....0%. The reason i cannot use a different dxf format is because the program where im importing it, does not recognize any format but R12 dxf.

Message 6 of 12
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Can you attach the file so I can take a look at it for you?

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

here you go. thank you.

Message 8 of 12
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I ran EXPORTTOAUTOCAD to clean the drawing file up. After that I was able to create the DXF file 

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Thank you so much Mr. Vellek. Problem solved!

Message 10 of 12
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I am glad that it was such an easy fix. Your drawing had a bunch of DGN definitions in it which is likely what caused your problem. Exporttoautocad is a great command for fixing such issues.

John Vellek

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

It's work, thanks...
Message 12 of 12
teknientos1

Hello to anyone! 

After reading the comments about how this particular problem was solved, I can say that in my case the same did not happen. I have version 23 and when I go to save to dxf the file is finally in format  dwg again. And the symbol of dxf doesn't show. Still looks like dwg. 

Any ideas? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report