Did you mean: 

How to export a 3d model and point clouds in a 3d Pdf

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1657 Views, 5 Replies

How to export a 3d model and point clouds in a 3d Pdf

Hi guys!

Does anyone know how to export in a 3d pdf, a 3d model and the point clouds? So far I have tried different plug-in like such as Bluebeam, 3dPdf. Unfortunately all of them export only the 3d objects that I have drawn and don't show the point clouds. I really need to see them. 

Is there anyone who can help me?

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

You need to purchase a PDF driver that is capable of 3D output. There are no free options except DWF output in AutoCAD for that ability.

That's it.
Message 3 of 6
dgorsman

How big of a point cloud are we talking about?  Even a modest sized point cloud of a few million points could make the file large enough to be virtually unusable.

There's a number of better options for viewing point clouds.  Some of them require installs, which can be a minor bump in the road, but offer far better performance.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I know. I have tried Bluebeam and 3dPdf, but my problem is that the point clouds are not visible. I can only see the object I have drawn but not the point clouds. I also tried bentley viewer and there i can see some point clouds but not enough. It looks like the density is very low. I adjusted in autocad but the result is still the same. Do you know a good plug in to recommend?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: dgorsman

We are talking about many point clouds. Billions probably. So far, I have tried Bluebeam and 3dPdf, but my problem is that the point clouds are not visible at all. I can only see the object I have drawn but not the point clouds.
I also tried bentley viewer and there i can see some point clouds but not enough. It looks like the density is very low. I adjusted in autocad but the result is still the same. Since it's for my company I don't have any problem to pay a for a software. Do you know one to recommend me?
Message 6 of 6
dgorsman

You might not even need to pay - most Collection licenses can run Navisworks Simulate or Manage, which can reference Recap point clouds as well as a ton of other 3D formats while retaining real-time navigation performance regardless of model size (up to a point, at least, but it's really good.  I've used it with sites over a kilometer on each side with thousands of individual entities plus point clouds).  It can publish NWD files which can be read using Navisworks Freedom, which doesn't require a license.  Those can either embed or reference a Recap point cloud, although I'd highly recommend the latter as it makes the NWD essentially the same size as the point cloud.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report