Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to draw a simple oblong with holes in it - and text?

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
Anonymous
2476 Views, 22 Replies

How to draw a simple oblong with holes in it - and text?

Hi there,

I am trying to use AutoCAD to create a '.dxf' file for a front panel (of a case) for Modushop.biz's CNC machine.

I have done this before using Visio (which can output a .dxf file) but they have a new CNC machine which seems to have difficulty reading the text produced by a Visio .dxf file.  So Modushop.biz suggested I use AutoCAD, instead.

All I am trying to do is:

• create a rectangle 124 x 44mm
  • put a text box inside it, and also
  • put some 9mm holes inside the rectangle.

But I have absolutely no idea how to achieve this!  Smiley Sad

Thanks for your help.

Andrew

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: Anonymous

Not knowing how much you already know about AutoCAD, but assuming almost nothing from your description....

Read about the RECTANG, TEXT and CIRCLE commands in Help.  Depending on the arrangement of the holes, ARRAY might be useful.  But questions arise:

Are you talking about a 2-dimensional drawing, or constructing a 3D  solid model?  If a 3D model, other commands would be involved, such as PRESSPULL, or maybe BOX-and-CYLINDER [in lieu of RECTANG-and-CIRCLE] or EXTRUDE [if you start with RECTANG-and-CIRCLE] in combination with SUBTRACT to "cut" the holes.

When you say "text box," does that mean an actual box around the text content, or just text?  If a 3D model, is the box a recess, or a raised area, or...?  Regular AutoCAD Text isn't 3D-capable, but there are things you can do to make the shapes of the characters into 3D forms.  [But they won't retain their textual characteristics, such as the ability to edit the contents.]

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 3 of 23
j.palmeL29YX

Hi Andrew,

where, at which point do you have diffuculties? Have you any experience with AutoCAD?

The rough steps:

- Draw a rectangle

- Draw the text

** explode the text to get closed polylines, this is an own issue

- draw circles (holes)

- saveas .dxf-file

and last not least: which AutoCAD version do you want to use?

Let us know more detailed what you need (how many holes, where to palce the holes, more informations about the text [size, font, content, style, ...]) and you will get more detailed help.

cadder

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 23
john.vellek

Hi @redwood.andrew,

You have some good suggestions in this thread.  Since you are new to AutoCAD I thought I would make a quick video that shows some of the steps.  I don't go into a lot of detail on how to make exact placement of geometry but this might be enough to get you started.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Thank you Kent.

Yes, a 2D dwg is all I want to do.

I will read about those commands in Help.

Thanks,

Andy

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous

Oh, and when I say 'Text box' - I'm just using "Visio-speak"!

All I want to do is put an instruction on the diagram to engrave a word - like 'AD24QS'.

Andy

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

Thank you Cadder.

I have zero experience with AutoCAD.  Smiley Sad

Sure the steps are as you stated.  But what commands do I use to draw the rectangle?

What I see when I open AutoCAD is a screen that looks like graph paper - so, as the start, how do I create a dimensioned rectangle on this?

Thanks,

Andy

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous

And now I've looked at the AutoCAD screen ... I cannot find a 'Help' button.  I would've expected to see it on the top line of the screen (where 'Home', 'Insert' & 'Featured Apps' are)?

Andy

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Thanks, John, for doing the video.

My first question is ... some commands appear on the LHS of the screen, centred. What button did you click on to get these to appear?

BTW, my learning style is heavily slanted towards text, rather than visuals.  IOW:

• click on 'Rectangle'
  • place on screen
  • extend width until the desired length is reached
  • extend height until ....

Thanks,

Andy

Message 10 of 23
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:

... I cannot find a 'Help' button.  I would've expected to see it on the top line of the screen (where 'Home', 'Insert' & 'Featured Apps' are)? …. 

F1 button, or HELP is a command name you can type in, or this at upper right  [may vary by version and theme]

Help.PNG

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous

Thanks, Kent.

I am using AutoCAD 2018 Student version - and this doesn't show a '?' in the top right of the screen.

However, pressing the F1 button brought up a window headed "Autodesk AutoCAD 2018".  One of the links on this screen was "AutoCAD 2018 Preview Guide" - which I thought might be of use to me?  However, clicking on this link brought up a document entitled "AutoCAD 2018 and AutoCAD LT 2018Preview Guide" - which gave no instructions in its 21 pages of how to do a simple thing like draw a rectangle!!

Typing "Help" into the bottom left of the AutoCAD screen brought up a pdf entitled "Using the LIFEBOOK Application Panel", which I thought was quite bizarre???

So I am as bereft as I was before.  Smiley Sad

Andy

Message 12 of 23
Anonymous

OK, from pressing F1 and doing some more reading (further down the topic list), I have drawn a rectangle on the screen.

Now I need to dimension it.  This is not clear.  How do I put:

a)  d1=124.00, and

b)  d2=44.00?

And I hit F9 - as I would like the rectangle to start on a major horizontal line and a major vertical line ... but couldn't see any result?

Thanks

Andrew

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous

Hi John,

Looking at your video,  I couldn't see how you got "D" to appear on the screen?

Can you explain?

Thanks,

Andrew

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous

Can you tell me if it is possible to import a '.dxf' file into AutoCAD - which would then draw a diagram in AutoCAD?

(Then, I could create a diagram in AutoCAD by importing the .dxf file produced by Visio ... and then output a .dxf file from AutoCAD which, hopefully, Modushop's CNC machine will be able to interpret correctly.)

Thanks,

Andy

Message 15 of 23
j.palmeL29YX

@Anonymous  schrieb:

Can you tell me if it is possible to import a '.dxf' file into AutoCAD - which would then draw a diagram in AutoCAD?

You can open a .dxf-file in AutoCAD, if you in the file-open-window choose the filetype DXF. (see attached pic).

Then you can use the saveas command and choose in the saveas window one of the possible .dxf-formats.

You must test, which of the possible formats is useful for you.

cadder

Jürgen Palme
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous

Brilliant - thank you cadder!  Smiley Very Happy

My Visio dwg has been imported.  And I have just exported a .dxf file (AutoCAD 2018 format) and sent it off to Modushop - so they can tell me whether or not it is compatible with their new CNC machine.

The only problem I am worried about is that, somehow, the text - that appears clearly in the AutoCAD drawing (after the import from Visio) - is not in exactly the right format??

Anyway, will see in the next day or so!

Thank you for your help so far.

Regards,

Andrew

Message 17 of 23
j.palmeL29YX

@Anonymous  schrieb:

The only problem I am worried about is that, somehow, the text - that appears clearly in the AutoCAD drawing (after the import from Visio) - is not in exactly the right format??

If you want to send the .dxf to a CNC machine, I guess you must explode the text to Lines/Polylines before.
One way to do this is demonstrated by @john.vellek in Posting #4 (starting at 1:10 min).

Here another way how I would do it:

https://autode.sk/2AjE6TP

Maybe you must draw some additional "bridges" (for letters with inner contours) not to lose this areas. If you wish I can show it in a next screencast.

cadder

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous

Thank you, cadder for those suggestions.

I will wait until I hear back from Modushop, before I do anything.

Andy

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous

Aaah, sadly, importing the .dxf file from Visio into AutoCAD - and then "Saving as" dxf-2018 (or even dxf-2007) - produces an error at Modushop's end.  Smiley Sad  The file appears to be blank???

Andy

Message 20 of 23
j.palmeL29YX

@Anonymous  schrieb:

... dxf-2018 (or even dxf-2007) - produces an error at Modushop's end.

and above

@@Anonymous  schrieb:
Modushop.biz suggested I use AutoCAD

Then you should ask there which format they need

@Anonymous  schrieb:

The file appears to be blank???

If you can see the content of the drawing in AutoCAD, then the file is not blank - "only" it can't be read at the destination side.

Can you post here an example .dxf file which works on the CNC - they should have such files - and also your not working dxf? Maybe we can explore the differences or what causes the problem(?).

cadder

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report