Did you mean: 

How can Autodesk help me?

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
639 Views, 16 Replies

How can Autodesk help me?

I am looking at different software to fit our fabrication needs. We build large signs with mainly aluminum angle , channel and sheet goods. We use LED Illumination. All signs are usually mounted to  steel poles set in concrete footings via saddle/pocket mounts. I like the isometric views because it tells the whole story. Also I would like the software to generate a cut list for each job.

I have attached of a Sample Job (I want to up my game and you can see why)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member. Welcome to the Autodesk Community! 

What software are  you currently using to produce your designs? Is it 2D only? Can you attach a sample drawing file?

AutoCAD can certainly create this kind of drawing but I would suggest that doing the work in 3D might be better so you can show the front and side views easily but also isometric and section views. You can do much of this either through Viewports in paperspace or by using Viewbase.

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Thank you for the Welcome, John

I am using a 2D Design software - Corel Draw.

I  attached a Sample Drawing. 

So Autodesk can generate cut lists?

Message 4 of 17
SeeMSixty7

Generation of cut lists is pretty easy depending on how you want to get the data into the list.

There are a number of things you can implement to generate based off of annotative elements in the drawing, using blocks, using xdata, and more. It all depends on what solution works best for you. AutoCAD is very flexible and offers a great set of API's to implement just about anything.

Check out the Customization and AutoLISP area in this Forum and you can find all kinds of assistance to get you where you want to be.

Good Luck,

Message 5 of 17
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Corel Draw can save (export) to a DWG format. Can you send me a sample in that format instead of the PDF?

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous

Hey John

Here is a DWG file. Thanks again for your help! We are crazy busy at the shop and I am treading into unknown waters with wrapping my head around our transition to CAD. This helps immensely!

Message 7 of 17
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for the drawing file.  Do you have any details on the parts involved in building this? For instance, how thick is the metal sheet(s) being used and what do the 1-1/2" retainers look like?  While I could make guesses, it is much easier in CAD to draw things accurately the first time around.

While this could be vastly simplified by keeping it in 2D I think the 3D will benefit you to create the Isometrics and possibly sections as well.

John Vellek

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous

Basically it is 1 1/2", 2", 3" aluminum angle framing with .080,.090,1/8" aluminum skin. (depends on size of final structure which sizes we use) . 

Sometimes the faces/skins have routed text and have an Extruded Translucent Acrylic Back-up.  (See Bissell Hills- the acrylic projects past face).

The sample job I sent has a flat acrylic back up on routed face, does not project past face.  Usually these cabinets have a main steel support pole, set in a concrete footing. They go through the middle of the cabinet and rest upon brackets that we call a "Saddle Mount".

I have attached visual aids for reference...Crude though they may be...

Message 9 of 17
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I don't see the attachments I'm afraid.  

Please tell me more on how you would like this final model to work. Are you hoping to provide detailed sections? Or, are you more interested in a BOM?

Each piece can be made a block (assembly) and then inserted, copied, rotated etc.

When complete you can run a data extraction to count the blocks as well as capture any text (in attributes) that you have assigned to them.

I am having a bit of trouble getting started on this for you as I am not sure which features will be most useful to you.

John Vellek

Message 10 of 17
Anonymous

Thank you for your patience...

What we are looking for is a construction (shop) drawing that can be handed off to our fabricators and they can run with it.

That being said -

- BOM is important

- Cut List is important

- Detailed Views Important

We do have certain fabrication processes/structures that sounds like can be saved in a "Block"? and used in multiple projects , I assume..

I added my attachment

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous

Thank you for your patience...

What we are looking for is a construction (shop) drawing that can be handed off to our fabricators and they can run with it.

That being said -

- BOM is important

- Cut List is important

- Detailed Views Important

We do have certain fabrication processes/structures that sounds like can be saved in a "Block"? and used in multiple projects , I assume..

I added my attachment

Message 12 of 17
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I took a quick run at this cabinet for you.You will find all the pieces are created as 3D blocks. Each type is on its own layer so you can turn on/off layers for visibility. You will see that I also created a data extraction table to list all the parts. You could also include attributes in each block for cut lengths if so desired.

Please let me know if this looks promising or not. If so, I am happy to go into details on how things are drawn or assembled.  I do wonder however, if this work might be better suited to Inventor or Fusion 360 so you can store components and assemblies.

Capture.PNG

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

Hey John

My free trial of AutoCad LT expired, but I just installed free trial of Inventor. I agree that Inventor may be the way to go.  I opened the file in Inventor and it did look promising. Where do  you suggest I go from here? I would like to present something to the bosses that will justify the cost of software. Ideas?

Message 14 of 17
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I suggest that you try a trial of full AutoCAD as well so you can perform the 3D work.

At any rate, I suggest that you grab one of your past projects and create it in either program. Start with parts (or blocks) that you can use to make an assembly.

Once you have built your project go ahead and put on a titleblock, your dimensions and then create your BOM. I would do the BOM part in front of management or record a video.

As a former CAD/BIM manager, I know that management will want to know cost savings, increased features available over current methods (improved product or production), re-usability of projects, etc. Try to come up with a strong list and throw some real $ calculations into your presentation.

For instance, you can draw up a 3D model of a project in x hours and in the past it took y hours. At a cost/hour the project will cost z$ more or less but you will now have the ability to create your cut list, provide details quickly, dimension quickly and accurately, create a BOM, reuse parts of the project for new work, improve quality and accuracy, etc.

John Vellek

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous

Good advice. When you say "trial of full AUTOCAD" , what does that entail? Can you send a link?

Message 16 of 17
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Since you had posted in the AutoCAD forum I assumed you were using full AutoCAD but as you indicated in your prior post, you had been using AutoCAD LT which has less features.

Here is a link to the AutoCAD trial.  Once installed you will be able to explore more of the features I has mentioned in my posts.

John Vellek

Message 17 of 17
Anonymous

Thanks again John, I will download AUTOCAD and keep this forum for reference. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report