Did you mean: 

Distance Command

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
Anonymous
1232 Views, 26 Replies

Distance Command

Dear AutoDesk,

Please add "distance in XY=" to the distance command.  We dont care if it snapped to a 3d point!  We know we can change the OSNAPZ so it dont snap 3d, but we dont care, just include the 2d distance already. Please for the love of GOD why hasnt someone asked for this already?  Im sick of this BS, end the madness.

Signed,

Everyone

26 REPLIES 26
Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thanks for your response, its the kind I wanted hear. I guess my post isnt about getting an answer as much as a "Does anyone else have this pet peeve?"

Message 22 of 27
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: Anonymous

Keep in mind [as also pointed out by others] that this is a User forum, not the right place to make requests of the product developers, but....

If you use OSNAPZ, you will get only the 2D/XY-plane distance reported.  If, as it appears, you want the 2D/XY distance in addition to all the information provided by the current DIST command including the 3D distance and other Z-component-related information, try this:

(defun C:D2 (/ pt1 pt2); = Distance between 2 points only, adding report of 2D/XY-plane distance
  (setq
    pt1 (getpoint "\nSpecify first point: ")
    pt2 (getpoint pt1 "\nSpecify second point: ")
  ); setq
  (command "_.dist" pt1 pt2); report all the usual information
  (prompt
    (strcat
      "Distance in XY plane = "
      (rtos (sqrt (+ (expt (- (car pt2) (car pt1)) 2) (expt (- (cadr pt2) (cadr pt1)) 2)))); with thanks to Pythagoras
    ); strcat
  ); prompt
  (princ)
); defun

I made it a separate command name, because it allows you to use the regular DIST command if you sometimes want its Multiple-points option in newer versions, which I assume would not be relevant here.  For the same reason, I had it ask for the points before the DIST command, rather than inside it, so that the User would not see the M option offered.  But if you typically don't use the M option, you could Undefine DIST and make a new definition under the regular command name.  You could then still get regular DIST with the M option if you occasionally want it, by entering the command name with a preceding period:  .DIST

The above has the difference from what you're ideally looking for that a Command: prompt appears between the standard-DIST report and the XY-plane distance report, but that seems a small price to pay to have the information you're after, until they choose [if ever] to alter the regular command's reporting as you would prefer.  But if they did, should they also include the distances in the XZ and YZ planes?  Those might be just as important to some users as the XY is to you.  How about the angle off the YZ plane?  At what number of possible things that could be reported does it become too much?

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 23 of 27
Anonymous
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Im no expert when it comes to programming, and I certainly dont have the luxury to write lisp routines to achieve what I need, so I thank you for taking the time out to write this. (Im getting a syntax error trying to run it, after fixing the smiley issue)

should they also include the distances in the XZ and YZ planes?  Those might be just as important to some users as the XY is to you.  That would be rediculous, if thats the case then base the distance command entirely within a local UCS.

How about the angle off the YZ plane?  Who even needs he angle off the XY plane? I entered a distance command, not an angle command.

Message 24 of 27
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> to write lisp routines to achieve what I need, so I thank you for taking the time out to write this

SCNR, my post with the LISP line (for a command defining a 2D-DIST) was answered with:

>> I didnt want that kind of answer,

Interesting what happens here, but a bit funny too. 😉

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I thanked him for taking the time to make a very detailed response and writing a lsip routine, however I never ASKED ANYONE for assistance, nor did I ask anyone for a workaround, like a LISP routine.

I SIMPLY, and I cannot stress this enough, expressed my displeasure with, to me is an OBVOUS bit of information that should be included IN THE BASE CODE.

I reiterate that yes, this was not posted in the best location for me to achieve this purpose.  

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 26 of 27
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:

.... (Im getting a syntax error trying to run it, after fixing the smiley issue)

... I entered a distance command, not an angle command.

You can eliminate the smiley issue.

Regular DIST reports angles, which are certainly of use to some, if not to you, and is the "angle command" since there isn't one by that name.  Other possible angles would likewise be of use to some people.  If you wish there were separate distance and angle commands, make that another request in the appropriate place.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 27 of 27

First my apologies to the community as awhole for missing this thread the first time around Smiley Embarassed

This thread has been closed to new replies and I have edited it to conform to the ground rules.

ANY continuation of this "banter" either in the community or on the PM system between the parties involved will see additional moderation actions taken against the offending accounts.

Thank you all for for your support in advance
Discussion_Admin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report