Did you mean: 

Distance Command

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
Anonymous
1233 Views, 26 Replies

Distance Command

Dear AutoDesk,

Please add "distance in XY=" to the distance command.  We dont care if it snapped to a 3d point!  We know we can change the OSNAPZ so it dont snap 3d, but we dont care, just include the 2d distance already. Please for the love of GOD why hasnt someone asked for this already?  Im sick of this BS, end the madness.

Signed,

Everyone

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Listing the Z values is a great check to verify your drawing is truly in 2D.  

If there are Z values not at 0, then the drawing has issues.  Unless its supposed to be 3D.

2015-08-03_8-25-57.jpg

Message 3 of 27
Anonymous

Remember, OSNAPZ set to 1 will ignore the Z values.

Message 4 of 27
Anonymous

Seriously? Did you even read my post?I expected someone like you but not this quick.

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 5 of 27
Anonymous

I mean why do I even bother with this website? 

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 6 of 27
Anonymous

Yes, I did read your post.  Just to confirm, you want the distance to be only in XY? 

With OSNAPZ turned on, the distance below will only be in XY coordinates.  Isn't that what you were asking for?

2015-08-03_8-25-57.jpg

Message 7 of 27
Anonymous

The distance is not XY distance, ITS XYZ distance. You obviously DID NOT READ my post because I said explicitly that I know I can change the OSNAPZ, but how hard is it to include the 2d distance REGARDLESS of this fact?

Its like banging my head against the wall here. I have used Autocad for 20 years now and whenever you come and ask for something to be improved/fixed you always get some idiot chiming in with a workaround.

I dont want a workaround, I want a FIX.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 8 of 27
Anonymous

OSNAPZ is not a workaround, its an option that can be set per user.

Your question was answered with an option that is currently available within AutoCAD.

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous

Do I have to give you an explaination why I need it?

I use Civil 3d, not autocad.  In my normal workflow, I NEVER need to know the distance in XYZ, NEVER. Every distance I need is exclusively 2D.  Now if I set OSNAPZ to 1, I get 2d distances, but when I try to draw in 3d, I have to reset this value to 0.

I do this a hundred times a day.  I dont know what your field is, what your workflow is like, but this is a pet peeve of mine and all my collegues.

"Your question was answered with an option that is currently available within AutoCAD." 

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 10 of 27
nrz13

dretch:

At the risk of incurring your wrath, I will suggest a workaround, which is all we end users have the power to do.

Replace your distance command with a LISP routine that turns OSNAPZ on, runs the distance command, and turns OSNAPZ back off.  You'll experience nothing different on your end other than a few extra lines in the Command Window, but I think you'll get what you're wanting.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
in reply to: nrz13

Hey at least I know you read what I said and gave an intelligent answer, kudos to you good sir.

Message 12 of 27
Anonymous

Ignored.
Message 13 of 27
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I have used Autocad for 20 years now and whenever you come and ask for something to be improved/fixed 

there is one guy trying to help, and wether the answer is what you estimated or not it was the try to help you, nothing else (and especially not correct to use such offensive words).

>> I dont want a workaround, I want a FIX.

I agree that OSNAPZ is not a workaround ... and to get a fix means that there is a defect with that function, but the function works as designed.

Back to what you wrote in the first message:

>> We dont care if it snapped to a 3d point!  

>> We know we can change the OSNAPZ so it dont snap 3d, but we dont care

Looks like you don't care everything you are not interested in or what you could use to solve your wish.

But for the mass of users they care the Z-value depending on the OSNAPZ-setting, so you might place a wish in the >>>feedback site<<< to get a new command (but please, dear Autodesk, don't modify the current command!)

With 20 years of experience you will have some LISP experience so I'm sure you are able to create your own menu items or LISP tools, e.g. a simple line like that could solve your wish:

(defun C:DXY()(command "_DIST" ".XY" (getpoint) "0.0" ".XY" (getpoint) "0.0"))

If you have troubles with answers, I would please you to describe why an answer does not fit to your question, maybe a new more detailed description makes it easier for others to answer then in a better way.

Have a nice day, - alfred -

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I explicitly said In my post I didnt want that kind of answer, and it was infuriating to get it first.

Yes I am aware I can make a lisp routine, but all I am asking for is some SIMPLE information be added, to make it more functional for EVERYONE, not just you vanilla CAD users.  Im not asking for a modification, just additional and useful information.

Message 15 of 27
Anonymous

This is my last post to user DRETCH.

My answer to your original post was simply explaining that your request is currently in AutoCAD per available options.

Your ranting and raving, and use of profanity (which was reported) is uncalled for.  If you have 20 years of experience using AutoCAD, which I have more FYI, then you are old enough to know your responses were very childish.

Have a nice day!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 27
nrz13

Then this is where you want to make your suggestion:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

If you're on subscription, you create a ticket through your Autodesk Account page as well.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 17 of 27
Anonymous

I asked specifically for responses such as yours to be not mentioned as to keep the discussion intelligent and to the point.  However I have failed in this task.

If AutoCAD has something to tell me, I will respect that, I dont come to this website to achieve any self worth from posting my idiotic opinions, I just came to have an intelligent conversation and discussion.  Again I have failed to find that here.

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 18 of 27
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>>  Im not asking for a modification

Now I don't understand the whole thread, you are not asking for a modification and you don't want to get workarounds?

You know how to write LISP commands, but you don't do it, even when you "do this a hundred times a day."

This forum here is from user for users to get help (and also to find workarounds) in case of needing something and not knowing how to get it or finding better ways how something could be done better..

It looks like you know everything, so for me and now it looks like you don't really have a question.

In that case use the feedback form as this forum here is not for wishes/product changes.

>> I use Civil 3d, not autocad.  In my normal workflow, I NEVER need to know the distance in XYZ, NEVER

Working with geodetic coordinates may need the command _MAPDIST more than _DIST.

>> I explicitly said In my post I didnt want that kind of answer

It's really hard to help you, even if I try my best.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

You are correct, this was not posted to the appropriate forum.

Message 20 of 27
rkmcswain

dretch wrote:

Dear AutoDesk,

Please add "distance in XY=" to the distance command.  We dont care if it snapped to a 3d point!  We know we can change the OSNAPZ so it dont snap 3d, but we dont care, just include the 2d distance already. Please for the love of GOD why hasnt someone asked for this already?  Im sick of this BS, end the madness.

First off, these forums are generally for peer-to-peer support on light support items. They are certainly not used as a wishlist. Autodesk designers and programmers are not trolling the forums looking for new ideas.

Having said that --- I like your idea. In fact so much that over 15 years ago, I wrote my own "Distance" command to do just that.

Exhibit A:

dist2.png

Doing something like this is going to be your best bet at this point.

Hope you have a great week sir.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report