Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Developing custom drop down menus for blocks?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
idholmes
551 Views, 5 Replies

Developing custom drop down menus for blocks?

I am after assistance in how to write a program within AutoCAD which will allow me to bring in my custom blocks from drop down menus?  I remember something about MNU, MNX and CUI files but this is all beyond me now.
Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
TheCADnoob
in reply to: idholmes

Are you talking about the ribbon or the old menus?

for the ribbon open the CUI.

Create a new command by clicking the star. Give the command a name. Put in the macro for your block in the macro section. 

TheCADnoob_0-1687837114670.png

If you want Icons for you block assign them to the command

TheCADnoob_2-1687837246967.png

Next in the panels section right click and select new panel

TheCADnoob_1-1687837160702.png

Name the Panel appropriately. Expand the panel and add you block commands that you created. To do this click and drag your command from the command list into the section of the panel where you want them to show up. 

TheCADnoob_3-1687837376703.png

Once you have all the commands for all your block like you want it in the panel, then click and drag your panel to the appropriate tab. 

TheCADnoob_5-1687837522310.png

TheCADnoob_4-1687837482352.png

Click Apply in the CUI

Your panel should show up on the ribbon now. 

TheCADnoob_6-1687837723442.png

Remember to Save your workspace/customizations. 

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
idholmes

Thanks for thee quick reply, I really appreciate it.
I am planning to load up different menus for the equipment I will then need menus to cascade down with other sub menus.  I am assuming what you are showing here can be modified?

Message 4 of 6
pendean

Greetings @idholmes

May I ask why you wish to do the most difficult time-consuming method in AutoCAD to create pulldowns just for blocks library access, when a simpler tool like the old ADCENTER command (I am assuming you already have these blocks organized in files/folders) or the newer BLOCKS palette let you have that right there too?
Message 5 of 6
TheCADnoob

Right click and you can see some options. I would echo @pendean , this does seem like a lot of work and may not be the best way to approach the problem. 

TheCADnoob_0-1687959369227.png

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
Valentin-WSP

@idholmes ,

Instead of your menu, look into creating a Tool Palette. These links may provide some insight.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Emilio Valentin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta