Curved Polyline to Faceted Polyline

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
2368 Views, 9 Replies

Curved Polyline to Faceted Polyline

Hi!

I have a floor slab, its edge is curvilinear. I want to place a faceted polyline in which each segment is 980mm in length. Is there a way I can convert a polyline to equal straight segments? 

Any help greatly appreciated,

Gary

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: Anonymous

What exact is a "curvilinear" polyline? Can you post an example dwg please?

Maybe you're looking for something like in the attached dwg? (Given is the blue polyline -> result is the red polyline. I choosed here a segment lengthen of 60).

And what about the "last" segment? Can it be smaller than 980 or do you need all segments with an equal length nearby 980?

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

Hi mate, I just mean curved. I've attached a drawing to explain, I'm wondering if there is an easy and quick way to make the blue line into the yellow line (980mm segments).

Thank you very much,

Gary

Message 4 of 10
Kent1Cooper

I have two routines that do the two aspects of that, but nothing encompassing both parts -- I could modify one to do what you're after.

One is DivideMeasurePlus.lsp, with its DIV+ command, available >here<, which can place Points [or Lines or Blocks or User-selected objects] at locations that divide the path into the fewest equal lengths of no more than a Maximum you specify.  Of course, given the curvature, while its locations are equally spaced along the original path, the lengths of the straight-line segments of a Polyline drawn between those locations will vary slightly.

The other is WobblyPline.lsp with its WPL command, available >here<.  It make a Polyline of line segments along any path, intended to randomize the vertex locations to wobble relative to the path, but you can specify zero randomization  and the vertices will be at equally spaced locations on the path.  It doesn't have the Maximum-length option that DIV+ has, but asks you for a number of segments.

You could use DIV+ to find out how many segments it takes to divide the path into no-more-than-your-maximum equal parts, and then feed that quantity into WPL.

Or you could use DIV+ with Points, and with Osnap NODE on, draw your Polyline along them.

Or you could wait for me to get around to making a hybrid.

[In any case, your path would need to be one object -- I had to PEDIT/Mulitple/Join them with a fuzz factor to get them to be one path.]

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 5 of 10
j.palmeL29YX

@Anonymous wrote:
Is there a way I can convert a polyline to equal straight segments?

I've attached a drawing to explain,

Sorry, I still do not understand what you need.

First: The blue geometry in your dwg is not a polyline, but only some arcs. But thats not my problem.

To illustrate my question I show a >>video>>.

The blue curve is your "curved line" - ok.

The red (I changed the color) is your faceted polyline. If I move the red pline to the blue curve, they do not match each other. The polyline segments don't touch the blue curve. And also, the length of the PL-segments is far away from 980 and each of the segments has another length. What now???

How I understand your intention I would expect a result as shown in my green polyline. Each segment of the green polyline is exact 980 (except the last remainig) and each endpoint of the line segments touches the blue source curve. Is this what you want?

I have not yet a solution how to create this in an easy quick way, but first I try to understand what you expect to get.

Jürgen Palme
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

Hi Jurgen, thanks for the detailed reply and the video showing me your drawing.

Each segment of the green polyline is exact 980 (except the last remainig) and each endpoint of the line segments touches the blue source curve. Is this what you want?

This is exactly what I want! Thank you Jurgen

Message 7 of 10
j.palmeL29YX

@Anonymous wrote:

This is exactly what I want!

>>Here<< is how I did it manually.

Either you do it in a similar manner or you ask in the Customization- (LISP-)Forum if someone can write a code to do it more comfortable. (This exceeds my knowledge of programming).

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:

Each segment of the green polyline is exact 980 (except the last remainig) and each endpoint of the line segments touches the blue source curve. Is this what you want?

This is exactly what I want! Thank you Jurgen

I think I know the answer to this, but just for clarification....

Compare these results on the Polyline in white at left [deliberately more convoluted than your example, to illustrate the difference better]:

CurvedToKinky.JPG

In the middle is @j.palmeL29YX's method, using the blue Circles so that the segments of the red result are of equal length.

On the right is a different approach, using MEASURE to place the yellow Points, and drawing the green result between those.  The Points are spaced at equal distances along the original path, which means [because of its convolutions] that the segments of the green result are not  all of equal length.

The difference between red and green here is pretty obvious -- it would be less so in a situation like your example, but still there would be a difference.

The reason I ask for the specific clarification is that a routine to produce the green result on the right would be enormously easier  to write than one for the red result in the middle, if that green kind of result is acceptable.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Thanks a lot for that Jurgen, seems like the most straight-forward and accurate way to do it. I really appreciate the help, cheers!

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Hey Kent, thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it. I like the measure tool, it seems to work well on my drawing but there will be times that I need to use Jurgen's method for accuracy. Cheers!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta