Did you mean: 

Convert Line Drawing to .STL in AutoCAD

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
4025 Views, 11 Replies

Convert Line Drawing to .STL in AutoCAD

I am looking to import my line drawings done in AutoCAD to Fusion360, and understand that to do so my file should be a .stl file. However, I am having difficulties making my line drawing into a watertight solid, as the drawings is comprised of several different lines to create a shape, not a single joined shape, if that makes sense. Anyone have any solutions/suggestions? Much appreciated. 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
imadHabash
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

i found this LINK useful for your case issue. hopefully that it's work. 

Regards,

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I am looking to import my line drawings done in AutoCAD to Fusion360,

>> and understand that to do so my file should be a .stl file

To transfer a DWG-file to Fusion 360 you don't need to create a STL. Fusion 360 can directly import DWG-files (as shown in the link from @imadHabash)

>> However, I am having difficulties making my line drawing into a watertight solid

Are that lines just a 2D plan type or have you drawn 3D objects with 3D-lines? Can you show that drawing please to give us more insight about what you have?

>> Anyone have any solutions/suggestions?

To give valid suggestions it would be great to know your workflow from start to end. What do you have to do, what is the job to be done, how was the AutoCAD-file created as well as what and why should this data now be transferred to Fusion 360 (or is it just a thought that you need Fusion 360 now). What is the final product and what will be done with that.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

My lines are 2D plan-type, not 3-D. While I would be open to importing these in .dwg format, I am having a difficult time figuring it out (or finding where in the toolbar I am able to import a .dwg, even after looking at the previous comment's link), so I thought importing an .stl might prove easier. 

The reason that I am using Fusion 360 is that I intend to 3D print small objects which have been extruded from a 2D outline. However, I found that drafting the outline to-scale in autocad was simpler for me, as I have more experience with AutoCAD than Fusion. 

Message 5 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

so is the solution for you now to work in AutoCAD, generate with AutoCAD the 3D-objects from the 2D-plan and then use command _EXPORT to generate your STL for 3D-printing?

Or are any questions open?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 6 of 12
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Fusion 360 is a 3D modeler so your file first needs to be 3-dimensional.  Is it possible to attach the file or part of it to a post so I can take a look? Perhaps I can make some suggestions on approach.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 7 of 12

Hi @john.vellek

>> Fusion 360 is a 3D modeler so your file first needs to be 3-dimensional.

Sorry to disagree, but you can open DWG-files with just 2D content (e.g. to extrude or revolve or ... all working well).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 8 of 12

Hi Alfred,

You are correct of course. I meant to say that the STL export will only work on 3D solids to get the drawing into Fusion 360.

Thanks for the correction!

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

You don't absolutely need Fusion 360 to create 3D printable object. The solids can be made in AutoCAD and exported to .stl files. I you choose the go this route be aware that the quality of your .stl file is dependent upon the FACETRES system variable.

Message 10 of 12
pendean

>>>...My lines are 2D plan-type, not 3-D....<<<
I think you are missing a critical piece of information: in order to create an STL file from inside AutoCAD, all of the objects must only be 3D Solids only.

Read about the requirements in HELP, here is a quick link https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/AutoC...

As noted by others though, Fusion360 can open 2D DWG files on it's own if that's all you want to really do.

Which do you want to do?
Message 11 of 12
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I am checking back to see if my post or others helped you with your problem. Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

I was able to import my file into Fusion by saving it as a .DXF file, and importing that into Fusion under the 'import' tab. Based on feedback, this made more sense for me than importing as a .STL since my file was not a three-dimensional solid, and I only needed the guidelines to then create my file in Fusion360. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta