Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2014 hangs when print or modify page setup

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
frank.delgado
2280 Views, 14 Replies

AutoCAD 2014 hangs when print or modify page setup

When I try to print a drawing or modify a page setup in AutoCAD 2014 the program hangs, never recovers, and does result in an error message.  I have tried changing the print settings in options but it didn't correct the problem.  I tried printing drawings that I haven't previously worked on and I get the same problem.  I can print "my" drawings on other machines without the program hanging.  So I narrowwed it down to my machine but I can't figure out what is causing the problem.  I can print using batch plot but I cannot edit page setups.  I haven't had this problem before and I'm not sure what started it as I have not made any modifications to my AutoCAD setup.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

I just printed using -plot and it works no problem. So it appears to hang when trying to produce the print dialogue - Hangs when I click plot, hangs when try to edit page setup. Both would result in the plot dialogue opening. Thanks!
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: frank.delgado

Check that the variable FILEDIA = 1. Just a guess..
Message 4 of 15
frank.delgado
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank you.  Verified. It equals 1.

Message 5 of 15
ampster40

is it possible you have printers/plotters setup within the OS that are no longer present or responding? If so, delete those out of Devices and Printers and see if that helps. Another possibility is what is the page size you are trying to print, plot or preview? There was a known issue regarding Acad on 64bit pc's printing/plotting/previewing B Size sheets on a HP printer...
Message 6 of 15
frank.delgado
in reply to: ampster40

Thank you.
I checked and all of the printers are still active and online.
The page size varies from drawing to drawing. I do not typically plot metric sizes.
Message 7 of 15
ampster40

unless someone else would have an idea why -plot works but the normal plot command doesn't, first thing to possibly try is to Reset Settings to Default (under Start menu, all programs, autodesk, version of Acad). If that doesn't work, then try a Repair thru the Control Panel.
Message 8 of 15
pendean

If you start PAGESETUP command, does it hang too?
Message 9 of 15
M_Hensley

It sounds like your dialog is coming in off the screen where you can't see it. Press ALT + SPACE + M then hit one of the arrow keys and then move the mouse and see if the box shows up.

Message 10 of 15
frank.delgado
in reply to: pendean

Pagesetup opens fine but when I try to modify the active setup which would open the plot dialogue it hangs.

Message 11 of 15
frank.delgado
in reply to: pendean

Pagesetup opens fine but when I try to modify the active setup which would open the plot dialogue it hangs.
Message 12 of 15
frank.delgado

I tried that too. It doesn't resolve the problem. I'm thinking I may need to reinstall AutoCAD.
Message 13 of 15
frank.delgado
in reply to: M_Hensley

Thank you.
The dialogue never opens. It doesn't show up as an open window at all. When I Press ALT + SPACE + M AutoCAD hangs.
Message 14 of 15
frank.delgado

Thank you ampster. "...Reset Settings to Default (under Start menu, all programs, autodesk, version of Acad)..." worked (when I did it correctly). Before I reset to default I saved out all of my plot settings files. I am going to restore them one at a time if needed only so I can figure out which file is the problem. Thanks again.
Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

I had the same issue... what I found was that I had the two different file locations for the "Plot Style Table Search Path" and once I deleted one - it worked again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta