Advanced Polyline Editing

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
AS3000F6VWZ
278 Views, 2 Replies

Advanced Polyline Editing

Hi again all,

I just posted not too ago about a query regarding block editing but this is relevant to something that will overall save many hours of time in my projects so I would appreciate any assistance provided.

Again, I will describe this descriptively to ensure there are no grey areas or room for confusion.

My question regards the technical uses of polylines and the lengthen command. In simple, I am looking for a way to hide linetype properties of polylines but only for certain parts of the polyline.

I will now go into as much detail as I can. Imagine a main polyline which has many sub-polylines branching off of it. 

If both the main and sub-polylines have identical linetype properties (ie. dashed, numbered, lettered) then naturally, all their properties will clash, especially in the cases of numbered or lettered polyline linetypes unless they all have the same lengths or by sheer coincidence they happen to avoid clashing. Currently, I would have to measure from the end of each branch to the source of the main polyline, but I wish to use the lengthen command on the end of each branch to save a lot of time. Is there a way to hide the linetype properties of all the branched polylines whilst it is on the same route as the main before they separate to avoid those clashes?

Again, I can just draw the branches at their separation point but I need to measure the distances of these branches, I am going to try start writing a LISP script that has the logic of (if branch layer of polyline overlays with main branch layer of polyline, then disregard linetype properties of branch layer, else always display the branch layer linetype properties).

I may not have explained this perfectly but I hope you understand where I am coming from, if not please do not hesitate to ask questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Signed,

MN

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Valentin-WSP
in reply to: AS3000F6VWZ

@AS3000F6VWZ ,

@AS3000F6VWZ wrote:

... I am looking for a way to hide linetype properties of polylines but only for certain parts of the polyline.

...Is there a way to hide the linetype properties of all the branched polylines whilst it is on the same route as the main before they separate to avoid those clashes?

If understood correctly, use the WIPEOUT and DRAWORDER (Bring to Front) commands.

For example, notice the WIPEOUT box (on a NOPLOT layer) to avoid the "clash" of the red (length 3), yellow (length 4), and green (length 3.5) line (Bring to Front was used only for the yellow line).  This will allow you to use LENGHTEN to obtain the total of each line.

ValentinWSP_0-1720690272506.png

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Emilio Valentin
Message 3 of 3
AS3000F6VWZ
in reply to: Valentin-WSP

Hi Valentin,

What a smart way of going about it!! I didn't even think of using WIPEOUT! Nor did I know that WIPEOUT itself has a draw order priority I thought that it was absolute in 1st draw order position and anything in its window was hidden. So awesome what some things in this program can do.

Thank you so much for that I can't wait to use it! Have a lovely day.

Kind regards,

MN

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta