AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Can't offset that object"

41 REPLIES 41
SOLVED
Message 1 of 42
Anonymous
229551 Views, 41 Replies

"Can't offset that object"

I'm having trouble offsetting some objects -- one minute the object will allow offsets, the next minute I get the message "can't offset that object."  I then have to redraw (and redraw...) the object until it eventually works (or not).

Anyone had this problem and have any solution?

Tags (3)
41 REPLIES 41
Message 21 of 42
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

If the issue is not related to open or 0-length vertices, just move all the drawing to x,y coordinates 0,0. 

Message 22 of 42
RUDYNUNEZ1217

The problem with mine was that it was a 3d polyline.  You cannot offset a 3d polyline.  I converted the 3d polyline to 2d and then it offset with no problems.

Message 23 of 42
Anonymous

If using all "overkill" and other suggested solutions did not work try "Pedit" then select Decurve, it may change some part of the shape slightly but in overall it will fix offset problem. I am using this method for contour lines that I imported from PDF to CAD. 

Message 24 of 42
selim

There is 386 lines and arcs one by one is not a solution for me
Message 25 of 42
Anonymous
in reply to: selim

I would recommend select all of arcs and lines and using join command to connect them together, then you would have a single object to work with. If joint didn't join arcs and lines then make sure there is no gap between end points. And all of them are sitting in same elevation. 

Hope this help 

Message 26 of 42
selim

Problem is the lines can be REGEN or POLYLINE perfectly. I need the offset as it is POLYLINE.
Message 27 of 42
Anonymous

can you give a detailed explanation about how to work with this command
Message 28 of 42
maxim_k

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi @Anonymous ,

@Anonymous wrote:
can you give a detailed explanation about how to work with this command

Look here:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACDMAC/2021/ENU/?guid=GUID-A9927B3C-7C30-43FB-B6A9-29843B35001C"

"Optimize polyline segments" option in that dialog box.

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 29 of 42
Anonymous
in reply to: selim

This can be due to many  issues, try the following:

1. Use the "flatten" command to convert any 3d lines into 2d, them try to offest.

2. Move all the objects to 0,0,0

3. Check the line for any overlapping vertices, or overlapping segments

4. Try importing into a new file

5. Try to "decurve" the pline, by using the command " Pedit" the "Decurve".

I hope this helps!

Message 30 of 42
sbruzda

Also, if it is a SPLINE, DECURVE it first, then OFFSET.

• Select your polyline, right click, in popup menu select POLYLINE->DECURVE
  • OR type PEDIT in command line, select polyline, select Decurve, right click or enter, done

Message 31 of 42
Anonymous

Thanks, it worked very well. Solved the problem!
Message 32 of 42
km9MSDQ

I'm having a simular problem where I'm trying to offset a polyline that is curved, it works fine as long as the segments are strait, but when I curve the segments the offset i no longer possible.

When I zoom really close to one of the  vertex's there is a small gad between the lines, this i probably the problem, but i have no idea of how to fix it or why it happens. The drawing is placed really far from 0.0 which is necessary as it located correctly in a world coordinat system.

Udklip02.PNGUdklip.PNG

I'm using autocad LT so flatten is not a possibility for mi.

Hope anyone can clarify why this happens, and how to solve the problem. 

Message 33 of 42
maxim_k
in reply to: km9MSDQ

Hi @km9MSDQ ,

Can you share your drawing (or part of it) here?

I can look at this polyline.

Please mark polyline you cannot offset somehow (maybe with color) and specify the distance you want it to offset.

BTW. There shouldn't be any gaps in polyline, otherwise you will not be able to select it as a single object.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 34 of 42
andy.dooley

I have found a solution for the inability to offset a closed polyline. If you offset in the opposite direction that you are getting an error and then double the distance back in the other direction that you are getting the error. For example if I wanted to offset a rectangle 5' into itself I am getting the "Can't Offset That Object". But if I offset it 5' outside itself then 10' back into itself the offset command will finally work!

Message 35 of 42
a13jndro

I had that issue because I joined a SPLINE with a POLYLINE. My solution was to EXPLODE the joined object and do the OFFSET function.

Message 36 of 42

I could offset a few polylines but some of them I am still unable to offset. And I tried the overkill method but that didn't help either I hope you can help me. I have attached the file below as well.

Message 37 of 42

Hi @prekshachittlangia ,

@prekshachittlangia wrote:

.....but some of them I am still unable to offset. And I tried the overkill method but that didn't help either I hope you can help me. ...

That is because those Ploylines are "3D Polylines" which cannot be offset:

2023-04-23_15-08-23.png

You need to use FLATTEN command to make them 2D Polylines, after flattening you may also need to join the resulting Polylines with PEDIT (Join option) command before using OFFSET command.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 38 of 42

Thank you so much, I first exploded these and then joined them back again and for some I used the boundary command and then I could offset them. 

Message 39 of 42
AWBramwell

Funcionó
Message 40 of 42
Tom_EdwardsVKHV3

Worked like a charm, thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report