AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modify symbol library not working (ACADE 2018)...

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
Anonymous
1182 Views, 23 Replies

Modify symbol library not working (ACADE 2018)...

It seems I can't seem to get the Modify Symbol Library to work.  It locks up on the first drawing at this point....(see pic)

Capture.JPG

Any ideas?

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
rhesusminus
in reply to: Anonymous

Seems like there's something strange with the text style WD in that symbol. If you remove that first symbol, will it work for the rest of the symbols? Are these all custom symbols?

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: rhesusminus

No custom symbols at all. All out of the box...Probably of note: I had just installed ACADE 2018 and have only set up the top support path to point to my wd.env file.  No other modifications yet to the 2018 version.

Message 4 of 24
rhesusminus

Ok.
I just saw the "J:\Design Internal" etc. path.
What are your settings for this modification?

2018-01-08_23-34-28.png

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 5 of 24
Anonymous

Capture.JPG

Message 6 of 24
rhesusminus

What is the first symbol it opens?
And, aren't these custom symbols, the 82 blocks in the _CI-symbols folder?

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 7 of 24
Anonymous

Apologies for the late reply.  These are direct copies from the NFPA default symbol library, so at the moment I am running the modify library they are not custom symbols.  Still not sure why it works in ACADE 2017, but not in ACADE 2018.

Message 8 of 24
rhesusminus

What if you rename that folder from "_ci-symbols" to "cisymbols" ?

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous

Currently there are others who rely on that particular folder to maintain its current name.  Once I get a chance to test changing the folder name I'll do so and update.

Message 10 of 24
rhesusminus

Or... Just copy the contents of that folder into another folder.

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 11 of 24
jesusrperezd

I am still having the same problem, I am running ACADE 2020, any suggestion?

Message 12 of 24
rhesusminus

And, you have the EXACT same problem, with the EXACT same texts on the command line?

f not, maybe fill in a little bit more information.

See the rest of the thread for questions asked.

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 13 of 24
jesusrperezd

Hi, yes. The problem results when I try to modify the library with a .shx font. If I select a .ttf font the routine runs with success.

The script stops and asks me for modifying some text to vertical or horizontal, when I select any of them it stops.

Thanks

-------------------

Opening an AutoCAD 2013/LT 2013 format file.
Regenerating model.

AutoCAD menu utilities loaded.
AutoCAD Electrical menu utilities loaded.
Command:

Autodesk DWG. This file is a TrustedDWG last saved by an Autodesk application or Autodesk licensed application.

Command:

Command:
Command:
Command: (COMMAND-S "_.SCRIPT" "C:/Users/JP/AppData/Local/Temp/ace287B.scr")
_.SCRIPT
Enter script file name <C:\users\jp\desktop\a-b\HPB12ML.scr>: C:/Users/JP/AppData/Local/Temp/ace287B.scr nil

Command: _.ZOOM
Specify corner of window, enter a scale factor (nX or nXP), or
[All/Center/Dynamic/Extents/Previous/Scale/Window/Object] <real time>: _EXTENTS

Command: wd_scr_msg "========== Drawing 1 of 2 =========="

Command:
Command: wd_sym_wdlib_doit
_.ZOOM
TAG1 height=1.7500
_.style Enter name of text style or [?] <WD_IEC>: WD_IEC
Existing style. Full font name = AMGDT
Specify font name or font filename (for SHX) <AMGDT>: romans.shx Specify height of text or [Annotative] <4.0000>: Specify width factor <0.9000>:
Specify obliquing angle <0>: Display text backwards? [Yes/No] <No>: Display text upside-down? [Yes/No] <No>: Vertical? [Yes/No] <No>: Vertical? [Yes/No] <No>: wd_scr_qsave3

Yes or No, please.
Vertical? [Yes/No] <No>: *Cancel*
Vertical? [Yes/No] <No>: *Cancel*
Vertical? [Yes/No] <No>:
"WD_IEC" is now the current text style.

DESC1 height=1.7500
Existing style.
Specify font name or font filename (for SHX) <romans.shx>: romans.shx Specify height of text or [Annotative] <4.0000>: Specify width factor <0.9000>:
Specify obliquing angle <0>: Display text backwards? [Yes/No] <No>: Display text upside-down? [Yes/No] <No>: Vertical? [Yes/No] <No>: Vertical? [Yes/No] <No>:

DESC2 height=1.7500
Existing style.
Specify font name or font filename (for SHX) <romans.shx>: romans.shx Specify height of text or [Annotative] <4.0000>: Specify width factor <0.9000>:
Specify obliquing angle <0>: Display text backwards? [Yes/No] <No>: Display text upside-down? [Yes/No] <No>: Vertical? [Yes/No] <No>: Vertical? [Yes/No] <No>:

DESC3 height=1.7500
Existing style.

CATDESC height=1.7500
Existing style.

XREF height=1.7500
Existing style.

TERM01 height=1.7500
Existing style.

TERM02 height=1.7500
Existing style.

COMMON height=1.7500
Existing style.

Command:
Command:

Command: WD_SYM_WDLIB_DOIT
_.ZOOM
TAG1 height=1.7500
Existing style.

INST height=1.7500
Existing style.

LOC height=1.7500
Existing style.

DESC1 height=1.7500
Existing style.

DESC2 height=1.7500
Existing style.

DESC3 height=1.7500
Existing style.

CATDESC height=1.7500
Existing style.

XREF height=1.7500
Existing style.

TERM01 height=1.7500
Existing style.

TERM02 height=1.7500
Existing style.

COMMON height=1.7500
Existing style.

Message 14 of 24
rhesusminus

Can you share the two files you have in this folder?

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 15 of 24
jesusrperezd

sure, I picked them randomly from the library folder.

Message 16 of 24
rhesusminus

Hmm... No, works here. How about a screenshot of your settings?

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 17 of 24
jesusrperezd

You meant the attached file, right? I added a video so you can see it all.

Message 18 of 24
rhesusminus

I don't have version 2020 installed any longer, and it works for release 2023 where I'm at. 
I'm all out of ideas on what this could be.

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 19 of 24
jesusrperezd

It's ok, thanks for checking this out. I did the modification with the .TTF font, I supposed I got the same results, so this could be an alternative to go with.

Message 20 of 24
rhesusminus

All this being said...

Why would you want to do this?
If you just change the font used by the WD and WD_IEC text styles in your drawings/templates, the symbols will use that font instead.

And, in my opinion, it's always good to use TrueType fonts. Then you don't need to worry about fonts changing when publishing to PDF and font substitution, and you will then get searchable PDFs 🙂

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report