AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where did my terminal strip accessories go?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jseefdrumr
551 Views, 5 Replies

Where did my terminal strip accessories go?

So I have a couple of terminal strips. Not liking how thick the 'default accessory' block is, I drew up a couple of partition plates based on manufacturer dimensions. I added wipeouts, etc, just like I would any footprint. Then I researched how to add these to the footprint_lookup.mdb so that the terminal strip editor would insert my new blocks. Everything went great with the first strip.

Now, days later, I'm finally getting around to placing the second strip, and for some reason TSE won't stick my custom blocks into the strip. I can add them, assign catalog info, everything works just like it did last week, but when I go to preview it, there are no partitions in the strip -- not even 'default accessory' blocks. Huh?

I went back and looked at the first strip. As luck would have it, that one uses WAGO terminals. (The other one uses AB.) I figured that it must have something to do with a typo -- some error of mine while entering the AB stuff. After many many double and triple checks, I found none. I set up the AB stuff exactly as I did the WAGO stuff. All file names matched exactly (spelling and case). The paths in the lookup db were correct. Huh?

I took a closer look at the first (WAGO) strip. I went in to the editor this time. And surprise surprise, that strip was suddenly full of extra terminals and partitions and stuff. Only in the editor though -- the one in the drawing was fine. It was while trying to figure out how that happened that I learned that now I can't put my new partition blocks into that terminal either -- even though it already has them in the drawing. Graphically, it's correct. But if I were to delete it, I couldn't recreate it in the editor.

This afternoon I essentially repeated the whole process from scratch. I deleted the records in the lookup database that I put in last week. I double checked the blocks (purged, audited, etc.). The only thing I left alone was the first strip that I drew, since I'm unsure if I can recreate it. I used the footprint lookup editor to put in my partition blocks again. All through this process, I never found anything that stood out as a problem. And I still can't get TSE to bring in these blocks.

So what am I missing? Is there some variable/setting/attribute that needs my attention? It might be important to note that I ballooned the drawing that first terminal strip is in. That may be why I got the extra terminals (if I made you go 'Huh?', read this post), but did that also break my footprint lookup? And how could that affect a different drawing? (Same project, but no shared components between these drawings.)

Ideas anyone? TIA for your help.

Jim

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Icemanau
in reply to: jseefdrumr

A real quick question first off which will allow us to help you better...

What release of ACADE are you using?

Including this information in your questions will lead to quicker answers as each release of ACADE has some major differences from the prior releases.

To track down a problem or to answer a How-To question requires us to know which release we should be looking at and as much other information as possible (workflow which causes the problem as an example).

Now to your problem...

First question, are you getting gaps in the strip where the new footprints should be?

If so, then the wipeout may be coming to the front instead of staying at the back in the draw order.

Second question, if you zoom in close, are the partitions extremely small blocks that don't show when at normal zoom levels?

This one is usually caused by a scale mismatch. Check your insertion scale and block scale.

Third question, can you post a dwg that has the second terminal strip inserted into it?

This will allow us to see exactly what you are getting.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
jseefdrumr
in reply to: Icemanau

Hi Brad, Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I am using ACADE 2015 on Windows 7 Pro. (Sorry, I can't believe I forgot that part. I know better...) Also, I forgot to mention in the OP, I ran AEREBUILDDB too. Your suggestions are good ones, but I tried them all already. I have no gaps in the strips, TSE acts as if the partitions were never added to the strip at all. I thought about scaling issues almost right away, but everything checks out there. I've looked at insertion points, draw order for the wipeouts, everything. I wish this problem had ended up being that simple. I'll post a dwg first thing tomorrow. Meanwhile, is one dwg enough? Do you need any other project files? Thanks for your help, Jim

Jim Seefeldt

Message 4 of 6
jseefdrumr

Brad,

Whatever the problem was, it went away.

Yesterday I undid everything, including deleting my changes to the footprint lookup db. Today, I put them back in, and lo and behold, it's working correctly again. I have no idea why, I'm sure that I did nothing different today than I did yesterday. Nothing changed -- I even left my computer on overnight, so no restart. (I restarted a couple times yesterday anyway.)

For now, I'm chalking this up as an eye dee ten tee error. It must be something I did that I just didn't catch somehow. But if things change, I'll bump this post.

Thanks for your attention though, Brad. Hopefully you won't see this thread again.

Jim

Jim Seefeldt

Message 5 of 6
Icemanau
in reply to: jseefdrumr

Glad to hear that it cleared up.

Hopefully it won't happen again.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
dean.turnerY3PLD

This happens to me every time. It's tremendously frustrating. I haven't found the magic sequence. I have to manually add the end plates and retainers every time I edit the terminal strip

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta