cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuts & Bolts

Nuts & Bolts

It would be very useful to be able to insert individual nuts or bolts and be able to weld them to another item so they can become part of an assembly. Captive nuts and bolts (commercial grade not high strength) are commonly used in fabrication. These could then be included in the bolt list. It would also be nice to have threaded rod and be able to add a thread to a rod which are both very common in the fabrication industry. Thanks.
20 Comments
haedicu
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

acbsdesign
Mentor

stewartdds,

I am trying this for a few years now, no result yet.

As you said-nuts or bolts can be shop welded to a member, or only threaded stud with nut and washer. i did the threaded stud out of bolts with no head, but a standard threaded stud will be great.

Nuts get shop welded to stair stringers, and currently I am doing it using special part, but the listing for the entire project gets mixed-up.

The threaded rod is also great idea-also threads on anchor bolts-but this was a different topic.

Regards,

Ilko Dimitrov

Anonymous
Not applicable

Steartdds,

I have also been struggling with Captive nuts since I started using Advance Steel. We have a system whereby each column has about 60 No. captive nuts and each one has to be a special part & manually welded to a column. This is more than a little laborious but my main concern is the lack of intelligence and the fact that the nuts are not associated with either the bolts or the holes. It is very easy for the Captive nuts to be accidently moved out of alignment.

A very good idea which I hope someone will look into.

Regards,

Craig Swancott

JWeber79
Explorer

I have th esame problem, how to realise that? We create an extra sketch, but that can not be the right solution.

welded bolts.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

WES_GmbH,

Thanks for you reply. There is no good solution for this at the moment. Captive bolts, nuts and threaded rod should obviously be added to Advance Steel. Also the ability to add a thread to a round bar. At the moment I use special parts for individual bolts and nuts because they can be welded but they are difficult to manage and can't be added to the bolt list. To create a thread on a rod I remove a small bit of the diameter where the thread is, so it shows up on the drawing, and I add a manual note about the thread. These work around solutions are very very time consuming and don't give a good result.

John Stewart.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In case of some special requirements there is a need to place Bolts, Anchors, Nuts, washers without any connection logic/calculation, whatever... 

So select the type, length an placement point, similarly to placing a beam.

BR,

Daniel

acbsdesign
Mentor

Hi Daniel,

This is what I am asking the developers to do for quite some time now, I hope they will hear us.

This is the link where I started the Anchor Bolts macro idea:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/advance-steel-ideas/anchor-bolts-macro-base-plate-macro-improvements/...

I have included the base plate macro in it, but Anchor Bolts, in general, are the bigger issue. 

I personally do not know what we have to do more in order to get this done.

Probably a real world discussion with executives will work best.

If they do care, of course.

Regards,

Ilko Dimitrov

pinnacledrafting
Advocate

Graitec told me to do this with a simple circular user section described as the bolt (3/4 ANCHOR BOLT), add 3D solid nuts and washers as special parts if you want or need a drawing of the anchor bolt..whatever. If you need just to include the information on a BOM of an existing sheet, add the anchor then move it off to the side and use a plotting window so its not printed.

Really annoying, but until they implement your request, its a suitable workaround.

haedicu
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

fd-disegni
Contributor

We need a solution to insert only a nut or washer. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sri Raj group is a steel manufacturing and distribution company promoted by the Agarwal family.We are offerings in manufacturing MS/EN8/Bright: rounds/squares/hexagons and flats and wire drawing. Can any one suggest where we can export our products?Which is best country

http://www.srirajgroup.com

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still under review after 2 years...I have so much faith in this development team

DumitruBerteanu
Community Manager

Hello,

Thank you for the interest shown in this thread.

I would like to ask a few questions regarding this subject, to get a better insight in what is needed and which are the difficulties in the current workflow

Having a standalone Nut, inserted in a similar way like  bolts/anchors/holes (through a pattern), and using the existing nut database, would be beneficial. But how about other characteristics, like:

• Does it need to be able to weld it to an object, or the "Site/shop" that the current bolt has is enough ? If the weld is needed, is just to create the logical connection to the assembly, or for other labeling reasons?
  • Does the nut need the ability to create a hole on the object it attaches to?
  • Does the standalone nut bring value to the workflow without a threaded rod, or using an existing bolt (with no head) can compensate for this
  • What additional logic need is to the threaded rod that uses the standalone nut ? Does this "bolt assembly" created from two parts need to be able to connect multiple objects in site/shop, similar to existing bolts, or the connection will always be on site? 

Thank you,

Dumitru Berteanu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Id like to know what under review stands for if you are only asking these questions now?

acbsdesign
Mentor

@DumitruBerteanu 

Hi Dumitru,

Thank you for looking at this. Good to see you here:)

Below is an example of an everyday case of girt to column connection, bolts are tack welded inside the HSS girt, nuts and washers field installed. This may be temporary seat so HSS girt will be welded all around after that. Or can be a part of a permanent connection.

Kind Regards,

Ilko Dimitrov

ACBS

Classic case of girt seatClassic case of girt seat

acbsdesign
Mentor

@DumitruBerteanu 

Hi Dumitru, 

As an addition to the case above, nut can be shop welded inside the HSS girt.

A summary:

1. Holes to be done by the bolt

2. Shop or field weld bolt, washer and nut field installed

3. Shop or field weld nut, bolt with washer field installed

4. Shop welded Nut or Bols to be shop Nut or Bolt, listed in Extrenal lists and BOM on dwgs as shop hardware

5. Field installed bolts or field installed nuts and washers-listed as field hardware in external lists and in BOM on dwgs

Thank you again and have a great afternoon.

Regards,

Ilko Dimitrov

ACBS

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dumitru,

A "Captive" bolt, stud, threaded rod, nut or washer is typically welded to an object in the workshop. It typically has a mating nut & washer or bolt & washer, which is supplied loose to site. The item welded to an object in the shop will need a individual item number and be included in the BOM on the assembly drawing and on any workshop BOMs. The items supplied to site will need to have their own individual item numbers and be included on the site bolt list. 

If a bolt, stud, threaded rod, nut or washer is weld to an object on site then I would include these on the site bolt list as individual items with individual item numbers. These can then be called up on the GA (erection diagram) where required.

In Australia, a stud is a partially threaded round bar (like a bolt without a head). In some instances a stud can be threaded both ends. A threaded rod is a rod which is threaded to its full length. A stud or threaded rod can also have multiple washers and nuts. It is not unusual to have a threaded stud or threaded rod with washers and nuts both ends.

The individual bolt, stud or nut which is welded on should be able to create a hole to suit. 

The "bolt assembly" created from these individual parts needs to be able to connect multiple objects in the workshop.  

I think the important thing here is to be able to insert bolts, studs, threaded rods, nuts and washers as individual items and for them to be tagged with individual item numbers and be nominated as "site" or "shop" items so they can be easily included on the appropriate BOM.

I hope this helps. I am happy for anyone to comment or add there own ideas. Thanks.

acbsdesign
Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I think the important thing here is to be able to insert bolts, studs, threaded rods, nuts and washers as individual items and for them to be tagged with individual item numbers and be nominated as "site" or "shop" items so they can be easily included on the appropriate BOM.

Yes, Probably this is what will work best-NO SPECIAL PARTS (as it was done in the cage macro)- Bolts, nuts and washers as rest of the hardware shipped in the field or shop bolted. If they are special parts-they will be listed on external lists as special parts, and erection crews and managers do not like this. Also-Bolts distribution lists won't work.

Bolts to be shop or field welded, nut and washer combinations-all to have the option to be shop or field, and the set to be same as all rest sets combinations.

Probably if we can assign "shop" to the bolt or nut software will automatically shop attach the bolt or nut to the adjacent member and leave the rest field installed to the rest connected members.

Regards,

Ilko Dimitrov

ACBS

acbsdesign
Mentor

@DumitruBerteanu 

Hi Dumitru,

Just to add to the latest post, if your intention is to use special parts-this is not we are looking for, we will continue using the bolt from the database and put a  note in user attributes that  bolts or nuts are "shop welded" on the external lists and add similar to the shop bolt list. 

Anything that will create more issues than we have now such as issues with BOM and external lists -  does not make sense to spend time and effort for it.

If it is a special part-I can do it now, and I can create holes by using a custom template connection, but I won't have them listed as rest of the bolts.

Thank you,

Ilko Dimitrov

ACBS

m.steffannoe
Enthusiast

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report