Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Advance Steel custom commands-share your ideas

800 REPLIES 800
SOLVED
Message 1 of 801
acbsdesign
77012 Views, 800 Replies

Advance Steel custom commands-share your ideas

Hello,

It will be nice to learn more about custom commands / combination of Autocad and Advance Steel commands improving productivity. 

To colleagues willing to share-Thank you.

Here is a tiny example:

"Hide parts with identical numbers"-used when parts are detailed using drawings styles.

^C^C_AstM5equalpartsMarkSame \;AstM4CommSelectMarkedObjects ;_AstM4SwitchReprMode off

And another one:

"Hide Similar Advance Steel Objects":

^C^C_SelectSimilar \;_AstM4SwitchReprMode off

Regards, 

Ilko Dimitrov

ACBS

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this makes it easier for other users.

Regards,
Ilko Dimitrov, IDC-1, M. Eng.
Tekla and Advance Steel Detailer
ACBS Structural Steel Detailing

If it is made of steel, I can model it and detail it.

acbs-usa.com | Helpful Place

800 REPLIES 800
Message 761 of 801
Julio_Soto
in reply to: handjonathan

so what happened today that this post all of a sudden does not meet your criteria to be pinned?  

Message 762 of 801
bigcarl5000kg
in reply to: acbsdesign

probably the honesty of the feedback from the users was not in line with the eruptions on the sun, we can't imagine any other reason 

+++ impossible immediately and miracles within 3 days +++
+++ the only constant is the change +++ stay tuned for more +++
+++ since 03/2023 is Advance Steel in maintenance mode, no further development +++
Message 763 of 801

Dear @handjonathan,

@handjonathan wrote:

Hi @Sebastian_Eiche 

Thanks for reaching out on this issue. As community managers, we are tasked with keeping the forums structured. We have set criteria around the validity and amount of floated (pinned) topics we have on each forum board. Due to these reasons, I have unfloated this topic. 

If you wish to chat with me to discuss this further, please drop me a DM, and we can have a quick call. 

Why was this topic unpinned after publishing the information about Advance Steel going into maintenance mode? That seems to contradict what you stated above ... or have the rules suddenly changed (before and after)?

+++ since 03/2023 is Advance Steel in maintenance mode, no further development +++
Message 764 of 801

Hi @bigcarl5000kg 

As I have stated with @Sebastian_Eiche As community managers, we are tasked with keeping the forums structured. We have set criteria around the validity and amount of floated (pinned) topics we have on each forum board. Due to these reasons, I have unfloated this topic. The unfloating of this topic has nothing to do with the Autodesk update released yesterday regarding Advance Steel.

If you use this topic as a reference for custom commands, it would also be a good idea to bookmark it with your internet browser for easy reference, or maybe use this as a topic for a Community Voice Blog article. 

I hope this explains it all, but if not, please feel free to contact me and we can arrange a call. 

Jonathan Hand

Industry Community Manager | AEC (Architecture & Building)

Message 765 of 801
handjonathan

Hi @acbsdesign 

I have just checked the thread options and updated them to ensure the functionality is restored. A refresh of your browser should now show this functionality on the thread.  

Jonathan Hand

Message 766 of 801

I tried it in different browser and the šŸ‘ Like button is not here.

my 2 cents:

And to the point of pinned threads: We have a "Whats New 2023" thread pinned..not needed anymore.
The amount ofpinned threads are understandable, but other forum parts have already 5-6...why should AS only have 4?
This thread here, has about 50000 views...it is good to have it in the beginning. Otherwise the users will post extra threads for each question and this will blow up this forum without need.

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 767 of 801
acbsdesign

@handjonathan 

Please leave this thread as it was by March 29th. *Threat has been moderated accordingly*

Expected something better from you.

@acbsdesign this topic has been moderated by @Tarek_K  according the community ground rules. Please review and stick to the ground rules. Thanks! 

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this makes it easier for other users.

Regards,

Message 768 of 801
bigcarl5000kg

Every morning, when I open the w(W)indows and let the fresh air flow, which takes away the obsolete - unnecessary - with no chance of survival, I think how excited the users would be, if the developer knew and wanted to listen to them. It sounds like music from the future that someone fell asleep to.

Therefore, not only to Autodesk, try to open your w(W)indows and listen ... it can also cure software ailments. The call happens automatically ... and does not need a date šŸ˜€, thank you anyway @handjonathan 

Message 769 of 801

Hi @Sebastian_Eiche 

Can you check again? All are showing for me. 

Jonathan Hand

Message 770 of 801

yes now it's here

Sebastian Eiche

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 771 of 801

Thanks for confirming functionality is back @Sebastian_Eiche 

Jonathan Hand

Message 772 of 801
bigcarl5000kg

Dear AS community,

there are two excellent LISPs available from the ACAD Lisp forum to find multiple inserted blocks (nested blocks) at the same point (the difference between these LISPs is only in the visualization of the finding):

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/visual-lisp-autolisp-and-general/lisp-to-check-the-insertion-of-multi...

if it makes your work easier, then we will be more than satisfied šŸ˜‰šŸ˜€

Message 773 of 801
willianSWEAV

Hello.
Thanks for posting.
Sorry for my ignorance, but I would like to know how do I use custom commands?
I've seen all the custom command ideas shared by you guys (thanks again for doing so), but I don't know how to use them.
Thank you for your attention.

Message 774 of 801
Julio_Soto
in reply to: Jonathan3891

@Jonathan3891 wrote:

I thought it would be useful to be able to update multiple detail views, so I created this. Maybe some of you will find it useful.

(defun c:updateview ( / e i ss x )
  (setvar 'clayer "Standard")
  (if (setq ss (ssget))
    (progn
      (setq i 0)
      (repeat (sslength ss)
	(setq e (ssname ss i)
	      x (cdr (assoc 0 (entget e)))
	      i (1+ i)
	      );setq
	(command "_AstM4CommDetUpdateDetail" ss)
	);repeat
      );progn
    );if
  (princ)
  )

Is there a reason you have to set the CLAYER to Standard?

Message 775 of 801
Jonathan3891
in reply to: Julio_Soto

If I remember correctly on older version of AST if the layer was set to something different it would change the color or the layer of some items to the active layer when the detail was updated. I know that is no longer an issue so that could be taken out the lisp.

Jonathan Norton
Blog | Linkedin
Message 776 of 801

same problem, can we have list?

Message 777 of 801

nice video for the workflow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc4P8NQISFQ

Sebastian Eiche

EESignature

This video will show you how to create new categories on you tool palette and create new custom command, and also how to edit them later. This will hopefully help you to work faster and more efficiently ...
Message 778 of 801

acbsdesign_0-1686585835417.png

@Sebastian_Eiche 

Thank you for sharing.

Completed training for another software. 

Will live in two worlds now.

I guess.

Regards,

Message 779 of 801
fcorte

Hi Ilko,

What is your opinion AS vs Tekla?

Pricewise comparison?

How "easy" to use and learn?

Message 780 of 801
acbsdesign

Hi @fcorte 

I had to forget Advance for 1-2 weeks when I was learning Tekla, it was kind of hard because I had to work on ongoing projects and keep things running.

Pricewise it is worth the added cost I would say at 80% of their current cost, it is slightly higher than it is supposed to be.

It is double the price of AS.

It is not hard to learn, starting with a "Robot" talking - watching videos, and waiting for a place in guided training, that did not happen due to not enough folks for a group, and switched to E-learning, which was actually great. Quizzes all the time.

Modeling:

It takes time to get used to with the snaps and the filters, but in a few days everything starts to make sense.

Grid creation-top notch

Beams and columns-same

Components (connections)-well done except they do not always get modified from the first try.

Parametric modeling-awesome. Really, I am impressed.

The document manager-this is from another planet.

Cloning drawings-this is something that folks are asking, they have done it.

Drawings clean up-for heavy Autocad-based product users it is kind of weird, but hopefully will get used to it.

The bottom line, it should cost somewhere at 80% of what it is now. 

One door closes, another opens. 

All for good.

Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report