Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with bevel profile on deformed spline

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
thor98_
227 Views, 1 Reply

Trouble with bevel profile on deformed spline

Hey, I am trying to use bevel profile on a deformed spline (created from border selection on a deformed terrain).

No matter the amount of "keep lines from crossing" it's glitching out as shown below

thor98__0-1707345216124.png

Here is the "clean" result, but only achieveable using a flattened spline - which wouldn't work for the project

thor98__1-1707345331244.png

..and here is the actual expected result, but is made with a flattened spline just to show the general idea

thor98__0-1707345894242.png

The reason I need to use Bevel Profile is that it stitches overlapping edges - something that isn't possible with Sweep or Loft.

My backup plan is extruding from within Edge sub-object level, but that is both manually intensive and also prone to the same intersecting issues.

I have tried skinning to a flattened spline, with the original deformed spline as morph target but, this creates poor results around the bottom and is also fairly slow at computing.

Hoping someone could help out with this! 😦

Thor Nielsen

3D Generalist

EESignature

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
thor98_
in reply to: thor98_

🙂I have decided to work around this issue by:

1. create a border shape from the deformed terrain
  2. add extrude modifier without cap
  3. add edit poly and flatten top edges in z
  4. 4 in the extrude mod, raise the extrusion until top edges are just above the grassy border
    1. now, deform the mesh a little by...
  5. ring select edges and connect 1 loop
  6. extrude edges outwards, then weld resulting vertices
  7. extrude top border outwards a good bit, but an extrusion width of 0.75m or so, just to give it an indent in the cliff wall
  8. finally flatten the top border in z
  9. pull down in z to be less vertical
  10. create shape from border and add bevel profile, fire it into turbosmooth, set hard edges at borders and use soft selection to help guide a fractal noise modifier to deform the cliff further

Thor Nielsen

3D Generalist

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report