Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrude/Bevel tool

Extrude/Bevel tool

Hello,
 In 3ds Max when you use the Extrude/Bevel tool, the result you get is the following:

1.jpg

The edges on the corners are not aligned with the ones in the middle. In other 3d programs (such as XSI, Zbrush, Maya) the result from the same operation is this :

2.jpg

All the edges are straight. Also in Maya there is an option "Local Translate Z" (highlighted in yellow) and when you input a number higher than 0 you get the same effect as in Max :

3.jpg

The Idea - Make Extrude/Bevel tool behave more like in other 3d softwares and add a feature like the one Maya has - "Local Translate Z".

Thank you.

All the best

Kaloyan

22 Comments

Excellent idea.  Love it!

miauuuu
Collaborator

Something similar already exist as a script. You can find it here: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/smart-poly-extrude

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

yuraolar
Observer

I vote for this idea

sam_large
Advocate

Similar to the option in the Shell modifier.

Say you make a cube with 3 subdivisions on each side. If you extrude all faces except the top and bottom ones, the corners are no longer right angles and the middle faces go out further than the edge ones.

Could "Straighten corners" also be switched on by default in the shell modifier?

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

electrotoast_old
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

mark
Observer

I believe it would make life easier for a whole lot of people if there was an option to extrude along a polygon's normal rather than along the Z-axis of a vertex (or vertices) on Editable Polys.

Br0ken1334
Advocate
inetmarko
Explorer

Hi, Autodesk! I think it will be a really useful feature in bevel/extrude dialogs. Maybe a checkbox for a way of extrusion. Hope you will hear us! Thanks!

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

aon.914858227
Mentor

Ohh, you guys fixed this in 2018.4. Great!

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Implemented in 3ds Max 2018 Update 4!

borisk
Contributor

Okay, good! But... Why not option? 

aon.914858227
Mentor

Release notes for 2018.4 states:

MAXX-39052/Extrude/Bevel default behavior modified and added "Local Translate Z" parameter.

But i guess it`s not exposed in the GUI (yet)?

KarlAkimor
Advisor

Polygon extrude is solved but no edge extrude. Both are the same problem, equally basic and solved by scripts from Miauu. Most of the tools from Miauu should be in Max since long time ago.

Added as idea in https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-ideas/allow-straight-corners-in-edge-extrusion/idi-p/7894776

image.pngimage.png

michael_spaw
Autodesk

Karl-

You might want to add this as a new ideas as its related but separate.

-Michael

KarlAkimor
Advisor

Thanks Michael, I did and added the link above.

martin.coven
Alumni

Just a quick note, you can simply scale an open edge while holding SHIFT and it will maintain the hard corners you are showing in the example.

KarlAkimor
Advisor

That is a workaround that won't work in many cases

image.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report