Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

max 2016: Objects not visible in layer manager...

93 REPLIES 93
SOLVED
Message 1 of 94
jens.diemer
36895 Views, 93 Replies

max 2016: Objects not visible in layer manager...

I have some scene files, with objects that aren't visible in layer manager:

bug1.pngbug2.pngbug3.png

Jens

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_bugs | https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_patches
Tags (2)
93 REPLIES 93
Message 81 of 94
HpaulingUEMBR
in reply to: jens.diemer

I had this problem, but converting my object to an editable poly seemed to do the trick?

Message 82 of 94
jens.diemer

Wow... My first error report is from 2015 and the problem still exists and we have to use scripts to fix it, because AD hat no idea to a real bugfix since 2015?

The whole thing just confirms that it was right to cancel my subscription.

Jens

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_bugs | https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_patches
Message 83 of 94
Dstinct
in reply to: dstinct

ignore.

Message 84 of 94

I am using 2018 and have tried this script and it doesn't seem to be working, any updates to this bug?

--Select objects that arent showing up and run this script. It will create a new layer with 

layer = LayerManager.newLayer()
for n in (selection as array) do layer.addnode n
-- Unknown property: "addnode" in undefined
-- MAXScript callstack:
--	thread data: threadID:14676
--	------------------------------------------------------
--	[stack level: 0]
--	In n loop
--		Parameters:
--			n: $Editable_Poly:HDM_01_01_front_bumper @ [0.019892,0.723917,0.805844]
--		Locals:
--			n: $Editable_Poly:HDM_01_01_front_bumper @ [0.019892,0.723917,0.805844]
--			layer: undefined
--		Externals:
--			owner: undefined
--	------------------------------------------------------
--	[stack level: 1]
--	called from top-level

Message 85 of 94
HossamSakr

here is another way automatic retrieve all your layers and objects

you can download my script from here:

Message 86 of 94
3DWAKSTER
in reply to: HossamSakr

Here's a simple solution: In the Scene Explorer -Layer Explorer switch to Hierarchy view.

Image01.jpg

You should be able to see the object in this view. Right-click on the object and choose 'Add Selected To' from the drop-down menu and choose 'New Layer'.

Image02.jpg

Now go back to  'Sort By Layers' and you should now see the object in a new layer.

Image03.jpg

Message 87 of 94
echu_sen
in reply to: 3DWAKSTER

2019, and the bug still exist. Just had it for my first time, and you suggest the issue to solve it with an external script? really? AUTODESK MUST SOLVE THIS

by the way, previous post doesn't fix anythig, just creates new layers so the old ones persist hidden

Message 88 of 94

(
	layerNames = #()

for n in (objects as array) do
	(
		appendifunique layerNames n.layer.name
	)

for i in layerNames do
	(
		if i != "0" do
		(
			LayerManager.newLayerFromName i
			print i
		)
	)

for n in (objects as array) do
	(
		for i = 1 to layerNames.count do
		(
			if n.layer.name == layerNames[i] do
			(
				layer = LayerManager.getLayerFromName layerNames[i]
				layer.addnode n
			)
		)
	)
)

This should do the job for anyone who still is having issues with this. It will recreate new layers with the original layer names and reasign the objects to the appropriate layers.

Message 89 of 94

Awesome script, I just ran into this problem a minute ago and your script worked perfectly, returned all my layer names with all of the objects in the right layers.  You are a life saver THANK YOU!

Message 90 of 94
markus
in reply to: keithmcveen

This bug keeps coming back. I'm using the latest 2020.2 and I just imported some objects from a step file. After import, the objects were not visible in the active layer or any other layers. It's really annoying when bugs go on, year after year without being fixed, and users have to waste time on *insert favorite swear* like this. The above script works as a workaround, but it's a really annoying bug. 

Message 91 of 94
3D_HMI_Guy
in reply to: markus

Has anyone else tried resetting Max user preference settings back to default? After doing this, I reopened a file that was having the issue of objects not showing in my layers. All of my layers and objects were good to go. Just another thing to try.

knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Resetting-3ds-Max-3ds-Max-Design.html

Message 92 of 94
b_apostol
in reply to: Andrew.Marlowe

Still helping people in 2020.

Thanks you so much!

Message 93 of 94
ViperAleks

I have reported this bug here https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/bug-max2018-layer-explorer-list-is-empty-when-merged-ob... 

There are files and steps to reproduce this bug. 

Message 94 of 94
info

Hello,

I had the same problem in 3ds max 2022, but with newly created splines and after hours of trying to fix this, I found a rather simple solution that worked out for me:

In the layer manager under Customize/ Toolbars  I activated the item "Display".

On the left side there appeared the toolbar and I recognized that the button "Display Shapes" was not activated.

By activating it the splines appeared in the layer manager and they are selectable now.

Maybe this could be helpful for some of you.

Best regards.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report