Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

max 2016: Objects not visible in layer manager...

93 REPLIES 93
SOLVED
Message 1 of 94
jens.diemer
36546 Views, 93 Replies

max 2016: Objects not visible in layer manager...

I have some scene files, with objects that aren't visible in layer manager:

bug1.pngbug2.pngbug3.png

Jens

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_bugs | https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_patches
Tags (2)
93 REPLIES 93
Message 2 of 94
Steve_Curley
in reply to: jens.diemer

Sure looks wrong, but I don't think that what you're seeing is the bug. Look closely - there should be an arrow to the left of the Lightbulb (in Layer mode) and there isn't. Even on my system, with your scene, there isn't.
Make the Default layer active and create a new object (a teapot will do). On my system the arrow suddenly becomes visible and everything then works as expected. I can duplicate the problem, in a new scene, by merging your objects in. Until I manually create a new object on the default layer, my arrow is missing too.
The problem is either in your scene or your objects because I can merge from any other scene into a new scene without the problem occurring on the Default layer.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 94
office

I haven't had this problem. You might want to submit a bug report and attach your scene for inspection.

3ds Max subscription customer since 2010
| Max 2022.1 | AMD Threadripper 3970X 32-core | 64GB RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB | NVMe SSD Samsung 960 Pro | Win10 Pro x64 | Nvidia Driver 466.47
Message 4 of 94
jens.diemer
in reply to: office

If i create a box (in the attached scene), i just see this new box in layer manager (and not all objects):

Unbenannt.PNG

My bugfix is a small maxscript to move all objects on a new layer. Then everything is fine:

filtered_objects = selection as array

layer = LayerManager.newLayer()

for obj in filtered_objects do (
	layer.addnode obj
)

btw. all in max 2016

Jens

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 94
Steve_Curley

Don't forget there's an option to hide/show Hidden objects - it's the bottom most one of the filters (on the left of the window). That part is working for me.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 6 of 94
jens.diemer
in reply to: Steve_Curley

I know. No filter are on (All buttons active). So i should see all existing objects.

Btw. "Select from scene" has the same problem:

not in layer manager bug4.png

Jens

Message 7 of 94
Steve_Curley

It would - all the "explorers" are one window with slight differences in what and where things are displayed. The real Select by Name dialog works fine here (on your scene).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 8 of 94
JuniorBurger

I have had the exact same bug.  

Anyone have a fix? Running a script to put objects onto layers is not much good if there's many objects per layer. 

Not sure how it happenend, I painstaikingly organised layers, then at some stage everything is on one layer and I can't access hidden layers anymore. 

If I switch from and layer view to heirachy view I can see the objects, but no layers!

2015-11-06 16_09_39-Scene Explorer - Layer Explorer - Copy.jpg2015-11-06 16_09_28-Scene Explorer - Layer Explorer.jpg

Message 9 of 94
JuniorBurger
in reply to: JuniorBurger

Just thought I'd add, I saved the 2016 file down to a 2014 file...and layers are all back! So thats an option if anyone is in a bind.

Message 10 of 94
dstinct
in reply to: JuniorBurger

This just happened with our studio.

Multiple objects were all separated on layers that are not seen in layerview, yet are in hierarchy view. I had to reopen the file to update a rig and do a save/load, and there was no way to easily access the controllers, save to expand all and wait.

Once I merged the new rig in, the layers for it appeared from the merged file, but only those layers.

Unfortunately the 2014 trick cant work for me because we have stuff xrefed in, which cannot be opened in 2014 because they are 2016 files. We could see the layers for non xrefs, but it nuked all the xrefs.

It seems to be saved right at the node level because merging the file into a clean working one doesn't work.

I'm not sure if this is related, but in this corrupted file, the nodes in the scene are not reacting to the hide by category in the display panel in the viewport. They are rendering according to the panel settings, but when hiding bones and shaped they still appear in the viewport, yet are not selectable and are not renderable. They do react correctly in a previous iteration that has a working layer viewer.

If anyone has found a fix, or took the time to write a script that reads and creates new layers from the nodes in the scene, that would be awesome.

Josh

Message 11 of 94
tanasiewicz
in reply to: dstinct

Same problem here
Message 12 of 94
neilcooper33

Thanks for the script, unfortunately this problem keeps happening to us in some scenes....

Does anyone know how I could adapt this script to put each of the objects back on the layers which they should be on, rather than on one new layer?

If you right click on the object, you can see which layer the object should be on, it just doesn't appear in the layer manager...

so, my idea is...

- Get the layer of the current selected object

- Add the oject to it's correct layer

- Loop on all objects

I'm just not sure how to do this in maxscript.... can anyone help please?

thanks in advance...

Neil

Message 13 of 94
nick

We have the exact same problem. Would be nice if Autodesk would fix this bug! Its really annoying.

Creative Director
ScreenAge 3D Visualisation
Message 14 of 94
dbrainard
in reply to: nick

Also experieincing a similar issue to this using Max 2016. I have several objects where the object properties suggest they belong to "0 (defualt" layer, however they do not appear there in the Layer Explorer. For the record, I really liked the original layer manager much better.

Message 15 of 94
rawshark
in reply to: dbrainard

Yep same problem here. Seems to occur mainly when merging objects from other scenes.

Message 16 of 94
KatePittman5899
in reply to: rawshark

Same problem. It happened when I merged an object from another scene. First time I have encountered this.

Cannot add to the layer where it belongs, the option to pick a new parent layer is greyed out.

Message 17 of 94

The workaround that worked for me:
I opened the file that has the object I want to merge.

I added the object to a new layer named the same as the layer where I want the object to be in my main scene

Save
Go back to main scene
Merge object
It ended up on the layer where I wanted it.

Message 18 of 94
rawshark
in reply to: KatePittman5899

Thanks - that workaround works for me.
Message 19 of 94
bill14
in reply to: dstinct

Yes, same problem here!

I have this on a large file (7.8 million faces), which I also painstakingly keep things on layers.  Now only some objects don't show up in the Layer manager, sometimes the entire layer itself doesn't showup.  I only know it's there by selecting an object and checking it's properties.

Message 20 of 94
KatePittman5899
in reply to: bill14

Have you installed service pack 3? I haven't had this problem since I installed it, so maybe it was fixed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report