Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i change zoom sensitivity, this is driving me mad!

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
47516 Views, 13 Replies

How do i change zoom sensitivity, this is driving me mad!

Hello

How can i fine tune my zoom sensitivity, my mouse roll zooms too much and the zoom option does it too much too. It's driving me mad, is there anyway to fine tune the zoom. This is making the modeling work really hard.

Thank you
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
dongray
in reply to: Anonymous

What I usually do is highlight either the model I am working on or a sub-object in the model (if working in that mode) and then hit the Zoom Extents All Selected keyboard shortcut to bring me into range, then the Zoom Tool (and Mouse Wheel Zoom) seems to work in context with the range.
Message 3 of 14
CAMedeck

Or, if you can avoid using a Perspective view and change to an Orthographic view, the zooms stay pretty consistent. I realize this is not always an option, like when exploring an interior space. But this is one of the reasons I tend to avoid Perspective views when Orthographic will do.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 14
timd1971

i think there is a scroll wheel or zoom increment setting in the preferences?? not in front of 3ds at the moment...but I am pretty sure there is a setting... didn't help much though... i think it slowed it down or sped it up to much...no fine tuning??? Maybe try the windows mouse wheel settings in combination with it to see?

i am so used to the wheel scroll to zoom, that i still find myself using it and making do in stead of using the middle mouse (scoll button) along with ALT and I think control?

Wish autodesk would refine the default scroll wheel to work smoother like the normal zoom tool but without the middle mouse button-alt-ctrl combo... i use the middle mouse button adn ALT to orbit all the time...but can't get out of the scroll wheel habit to zoom.

Seems to coarse, or too slow to me. I even bought thw $100 logitech performance MX mouse in hopes to fix that...better, but no fix. you can select tactile feedback scrolling or smooth flywheel scrollling (webpages fast)... thought the later would help in 3ds, but it still is not the same at normal zoom tool.
Message 5 of 14
Steve_Curley

"Bad" zooming is more often than not down to using the wrong system units for the scene. Modeling a few city blocks in mm or a pinhead in km will give you this problem.
Post the scene (zipped), or a copy of it with a single average sized object in it so we can tell for sure.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 6 of 14
timd1971

maybe try this?

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: timd1971

Note that the field indicated no longer appears in that dialog in 3DS Max 2018

Message 8 of 14
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

In 2018 that is located in Customize->Customize User Interface->Mouse menu.  

You can also disable Adaptive Navigation which may help.  

Go to C: \Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2015 - 64bit\ENU\3dsmax.ini

and add "AdaptiveNavigation=0" in the [Performance] section.

[Performance]
AdaptiveNavigation=0

Best Regards,

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

I solved the problem by switching to another mouse and then back to mine wireless.

But with time it again appears

Also after about 10-20 minutes Wheel Zoom Increment goes back to 10mm... ( and i have to switch it back to minimum every 10-20 min of workflow)

I guess it is not supposed to be like that....

Message 10 of 14
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,  would you mind listing the make/model of your mouse for me please?   I'll make a note of it.  Thanks!

Best Regards,

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Where is customize dude...clarify instructions

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

I found out that if you it the "A" key it will auto adjust the size of the scene to the scroll sensitivity. Very annoying place to put that key.

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

I fixed mine by shrinking my whole scene hitting, "a" and then re-grew it. and changed that annoying hotkey.

Message 14 of 14

I work in 3d max by 5 version from discreet. and I was looking for a very long time how to turn off this hated option. you saved my nervous system. Thank you and **** whoever made this change without the normal option to turn it off.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report