Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I change UI of 3DS max 2017 to look like 2014?

213 REPLIES 213
SOLVED
Message 1 of 214
twelin
40144 Views, 213 Replies

How can I change UI of 3DS max 2017 to look like 2014?

I've tried unsucessfully to change the UI scheme of 2017 to resemble something I'm used to working in. Posted are screen shots from 2014 & 2017. Is this as close as I can hope to get? Exporting & importing UI theme did not seem to work. Thank you for any insight.

213 REPLIES 213
Message 101 of 214
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm still here Smiley Wink Icons for Biped.

Santa Biped.png

Tags (2)
Message 102 of 214
kris

Zaluski, you have way more patience than I do.  I'm glad you've done it, but I'd much rather AD did it.  The problem, as will often be the case in this sort of thing, is that the elephant won't do anything if the mice have already done the work.

That said, don't stop. 😄

Kris.

Message 103 of 214
Anonymous
in reply to: kris

I'm really close

Santa UnwrapUVW.png

edit sub.png

Tags (2)
Message 104 of 214
mitviz
in reply to: twelin

Wooow, amazing! Love the old ui like crazy! Light ui is fantastic, stil i cant select stuff in 2017 only near edges, until its fixed, i have to stick with max 2015. Wish i had this old look in 2015 that dark creamy look
Message 105 of 214
Anonymous
in reply to: mitviz

Happy New Year 2017 !

Santa UnwrapUVW_Finish.png

Some new function has unchanged icons yet. For snap setting icon i can't find path. Please give me feedback if something is missing.

I wish you peace.

Tags (2)
Message 106 of 214
Anonymous

Have a good year!

Happy New Year 2017.png

Best regards

Message 107 of 214
StephenMF

WOW...

Works awesomely.

Thanks.

Stephen

Message 108 of 214
Anonymous
in reply to: StephenMF

I have tried with large version of icons (for high resolution monitors) and I know how to do it but I'm not sure if it is necessary?  If you think that it is good idea to do this kind (or other) of set of icons,

Best regards

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Tags (1)
Message 109 of 214
Anonymous

Lets AD pay to youSmiley Happy

Message 110 of 214
Anonymous

Sorry for my last post. I should not to have write this. It was really late. Working with icons during last week was very exciting for me, but has tired me out and I didn't saw some formal aspects of what I did.

Thanks for edition by Discussion_Admin. Now my previous post (especially second sentence) has no sense, so let's say it could look like that:

"I have tried with large version of icons (for high resolution monitors) and I know how to do it but I'm not sure if it is necessary? If you think that it is good idea to do this kind (or other) of set of icons, let me know and I will explain how to do this."

Best regards

Message 111 of 214
Alfred.DeFlaminis

You have a great year too @Anonymous and everyone else!  Happy New Year!

Best Regards,

Message 112 of 214
kris
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

@Anonymous.DeFlaminis , directly related to these overall UI issue, but apparently not changeable.  Took me a while to figure out why I was constantly making the mistake of not realizing an edit poly (or any modifier) sub object is selected, and clicking around trying to get max to respond.  In the UI, "modifier selection" highlight used behave this way, using Edit Poly as an example (pictured in the attached):

If you select the edit poly modifier in the stack, it has a solid highlight.

If you open the sub-object rollout, whatever sub mode you have selected has a solid highlight.

If you have a sub mode selected, but the rollout isn't open, the edit poly modifier has the solid highlight (plus the highlight in the modifier rollouts)

When the object was selected, but no sub-object was selected, the top modifier was highlighted in a different color.

Now, in that same scenario, if the sub rollout is collapsed, the edit poly modifier is still highlighted, but it's just a border that is incredibly easy to miss, especially in the peripheral vision.  When the sub-object isn't selected, the top stack is highlighed like I would expect it to be the reverse. I'm wasting at least 2-3 minutes an hour not realizing I didn't deselect sub mode, and it's driving me even more batty than the remaining unchanged icons....

As you can see in teh attached, it is REALLY hard to see that the edit poly is selected; this is even more the case when the selection rollout isn't open, or in a modifier like symmetry, which doesn't show in the rollouts that the mirror axis is selected.  

<Kris tears out his hair>   I'm hoping there's a place one can change this that I'm just missing.  You can change the color in Customize UI>Colors>General UI Colors> modify selection, but not how the fill operates.

Message 113 of 214
Anonymous

Will it be helpful? Hierarchical item in the stack. You can turn it on two ways.

hierarchical item in the stack.png

Best regards

Message 114 of 214
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @kris,

This is a bug, I have just documented it and logged it.  The subobject color is being used for the mod selection color and the subobject color itself doesn't work.  Thanks for pointing it out.  I can confirm this is unintended behavior.  

Best Regards,

Message 115 of 214
kris

Thanks, @Alfred.DeFlaminis!

Hopefully the change comes out quickly, versus the bugs I have logged from R4. 🙂

Kris.

Message 116 of 214
Anonymous

Little update of icons for 3ds max 2017. This is time for Slate Material Editor.

slate material editor.png

As in the case of scene explorer there is the problem with icons for Select Objects from Slate material Editor -> Select by Material.

Function CustomControlsOptions.PrintIconPaths=true did not work.

select objects slate.png

I unified Display Alpha Channel and Monochrome icons Display Alpha Chanel & Monochrome.png 

Additionally I've modified a little icons for Select and Place  selectAndPlace.png tool and Select and Rotate selectAndRotate.png . In my opinion for 16x16 pix size move and rotate symbols were too small. If you wish to restore original icons I put them in folder Main Toolbar. Change name e.g. from selectAndPlace - Kopia (3).png to selectAndPlace.png. After restarting of 3ds max you will see new icon.

Restore.png

Best regards

Message 117 of 214
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @all,

Max got a new Feature Request board this week and it has the ability to vote on any issue you like without the previous vote limit.  Some of the ideas were moved over, but not all of them did so I wanted to re-add it.  The new board has few ideas on it currently, so this is a good time to get this back up there and vote on it.  I have the bullet points below, and the link to the new idea station is here.  Does anyone want to post this up there? 

• Create a visual GUI to facilitate an easier icon replacement process so users can quickly update icons in 3ds Max on a large scale.
  • Design a method to allow the changed icons to be packaged and easily distributed.  (Possibly as a .mzp or .zip)
  • Create packages for all icons moving forward so that users can load the icons for any version of Max after this tool/functionality was created.

Best Regards,

Message 118 of 214
kris

@Alfred.DeFlaminis, @all

Done.  Link:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-ideas/make-the-max-ui-easily-updated-and-or-returned-to-previ...

I find it annoying that we'd lose the heritage of what was there before.  There were things that I wanted to see added, and were slowly collecting votes.  Damned if I can remember what they were now.

Kris.

Message 119 of 214
Alfred.DeFlaminis

I can empathize, which is why I wanted to be on top of getting this mentioned and back up there.  Thank you for doing that and I've voted on it.  

Best Regards,

Message 120 of 214
Anonymous

AD all does not for users, and only for the money. For example - killing Softimage | XSI

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report