Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max - Projecting splines onto obecjts as non destructive modifiers

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
743 Views, 1 Reply

3ds Max - Projecting splines onto obecjts as non destructive modifiers

Hi,

I'm new to 3ds max, so there might be an obvious answer to this that I haven't been able to find:

Is there a way to project a spline onto an existing surface similar to the function of a modifier? Meaning that editing the source spline or the objects on which the spline is projected changes the projection of the spline instantaneously. A non destructive spline projection modifier so to speak.

I've tried the "Glue" plugin as well as using compound objects > shape merge, but both of these options give me a second, new spline rather than an adaptive projection of my existing one.

Combining an adaptive projection modifier with the use of RailClone or Forestpack would be a very handy tool, as everything generated by RC/FP would update automatically when changing the parameters of the projected spline (rather than having to edit RC/FP objects by picking a newly made spline after projecting via Glue or shape merge.)

Does the described function exist? If not, I think it would quite a powerful addition to the modifiers in many different scenarios. 

Cheers!

Labels (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
RobH2
in reply to: Anonymous

I think what you are talking about is a bit more parametric integration into Max, kind of like what you can do with CAD software where you and make big changes by driving a parameter. There is obviously some of that already in Max with a number of modifiers, but, they only reach so high and eventually, they  just make messes farther up. 

You should clarify your ideas a bit more and write them out with some specifics and post it to the "Ideas" forum. I think you may have some supporters. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report