Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full dark theme

Full dark theme

Revit currently only has the ability through Options>Graphics to change the color of the background which in a small way allows for reduced eye strain but it leaves the browsers etc in white so it is only a part solution.,

as Autodesk did very well with AutoCAD. Thanks for consideration

176 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I suggest that you implement Dark theme to Revit as in AutoCAD or React structures. Revit interface is too light now and after hours of working, eye strain is huge. Thank you for consideration.

Tags (1)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Revit currently only has the ability through Options>Graphics to change the color of the background which in a small way allows for reduced eye strain but it leaves the browsers etc in white so it is only a part solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, yes, I knew that. I was thinking about implementing full dark theme, as Autodesk did very well with AutoCAD.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I very much second this. My eyes hurt because Revit has still no dark mode.

Meanwhile AutoCAD has a great darkmode.

Changing the Background colour actually makes it worse, because you have the browser is still white which makes a high contrast.

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Thanks for taking the time to submit your idea. Unfortunately, this idea did not get the support of the community over the last 6 months and as such we will not be pursuing it at this time. Please feel free to rework (titles and clear descriptions are really important) and resubmit this one down the road.
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

imWNSVD
Explorer

I too have eyestrain and very much want a dark theme for revit like autocad.

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a dark theme but the ribbon stays light which gives us eyestrain. I am talking from an architecture team of 50 located in Eastbay SF which uses different products of Autodesk's every day.

I am sure the easiest piece of code for you smart programmers is adding color themes to the Revit.

Thanks.

Ilic.Andrej
Advisor

This is how my Revit looks like:

Revit Low Eye Strain.jpg

First of all, you have to change fully Windows to dark. This will affect Revit Project Browser and Properties Palette. Then, minimize the Ribbon

(I donno how to change its color). Lastly, choose Revit background to your liking.

To change windows 10 to dark (including file explorer), follow these instructions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GgIjEDYe6g

Similar process is used for windows 7, just google it.

Ilic.Andrej
Advisor

Or its even better just to invert the screen using magnifier. I find this using alot 🙂 No themes, no workarounds....

Invert Screen using magnifier.jpg

Simon_Weel
Advisor

The color schemes are stored in a couple of XML files under C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit_version\Themes. If you dare, you can change the hex color numbers. But it would be much easier if we had a simple editor for those files.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello!

It would be really awesome if we could get a "Dark Mode" option where the ENTIRE ribbon, properties box, and project browser gets a black or dark gray background similar to Bluebeam's dark mode.  

Thanks!  

Bmullin
Participant

This should be on all Autodesk applications as the users (us) are on them all day.

Come on Autodesk, sort it out.

zhukoven.com
Advocate

Switching the ribbon color should not be a big issue for developers, as soon as it's possible via the Revit API:

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2011/02/pimp-my-autocad-or-revit-ribbon.html

cSol
Advocate

Hey, Autodesk! Revit 2019 ist a huge step forward. Thank you for that.

But ... what happend to the dark-mode? It now feels like there's some heavy fog around my screen. This wishi-washi-grey-scale-user-interface isn't what I expect from a "real" dark mode.

This is not just a fancy design idea. For some users who have problems with their eysight, it is elementary to have more darker colours and more contrasts on the user interface.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sasha: So you imply that Autodesk will care for it's clients when they are voting for this in majority?  It's as simple as it gets, give us an option to have a dark theme like in AutoCAD. It's obviously good for our eyes and you know it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sasha.crotty   To say that community support is all it takes to get an Autodesk feature or enhancement is laughable. Take Acad LT for example. The block browser so long ago added to it was begged for by enormous amounts of users to be added to the full version, but never added into it. Express tools commonly added to installs as an option should have been an integral never left out component expressed by every user of AutoCAD I've ever met. And since the annual release cycle post Autocad R14, the changes to the plot utility were on everyones hit list for years but nothing was ever tweaked.

I hear nothing less from Revit users I support at work. Perhaps the only place Autodesk looks or input is their own community pools like AUGI or the O-forums? How bout a user enhancement request tool that is generated directly from the application without having to go through channels so you get a raw look at what people are really barking about. Signup syndrome is a real thing. If I have to sign up on a website just to view a price of a pair of shoes or something - guess what - aint buying shoes from you pal. I'm guessing you guys see barely half of all actual enhancement requests. 

I also can't understand why such an easy programmable change is not available. And before going on a long explanation of why programming is not easy - I will explain why it IS easy. The Revit framework has a color to begin with. In the code exists a piece that tells it here is what color to use for windows and borders and menu background ALREADY. The only component missing is how you tell it when and what to change it to. That doesn't even have to reside in the GUI, it can be a utility run outside of the application. Pick color, great dark gray, changing files, boom - start Revit. Considering AutoCAD has this ability and is clearly not Autrodesk's cash cow the real mystery here is why it hasn't been implemented into Revit already.

Simple changes or even if you still want to argue that they are not "simple" - make big impacts. Any change that helps the user tweak the GUI to their liking shouldn't be a polling matter. They should just be implemented. The little things in life are often the most helpful. Software isn't much different in my opinion. Disagree? Lets test the theory -- suppose Windows came in bright frikkin Yellow with no ability to change the raging Yellow abyss or even to change the background to your fave NASA, luxury sports car, or family picture. Choose whatever your least favorite color is. That little switch to flip the colors makes all the difference in the world on your 8 hour workday when the ability is handed to you to change to dark gray -- that one minor feature saved you from a severe eye strain color-induced yellow screen migraine. 

ErwinMeulman
Enthusiast

Not real, eye healthyNot real, eye healthy

ErwinMeulman
Enthusiast

photoshop, eye healthyphotoshop, eye healthy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report