TEMPLATE & DEFAULT LAYOUT

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
1422 Views, 11 Replies

TEMPLATE & DEFAULT LAYOUT

hi everyone,

i have a situation at work where many times a draftsman closes a drawing in model

with 2 or 3 viewports and when it's a heavy drawing it takes time to open. i already setup

a drawing template, now what i wanted to happen is to set a certain layout so everytime

autocad opens that drawing it will always defaulted to one of the layout tab i set to be

the default no matter how the drawing was saved and closed, even if they saved it in

model, the next time they open it it will be the n default layout tab. is this possible?

any help or suggestion is much appreciated.

thank you.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

What version of AutoCAD are you using? Can you attach your template?

Perhaps you can create a home view and set this in options.

Capture.PNG

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

hI john vellek,

I don't think this is what I wanted to do, I'm attaching my template as a dwg file.

what I wanted to do is everytime a drawing Is made from this template and wherever

they save and close the file, be it in model space or paper space, drawing will always

open n this layout tab I call "History". our file could have 6-10 layout tabs but this

"History" layout tab will always be located as the first layout tab and set as the default

tab every time drawing opens. I don't know if I'm explaining it well. thank you for youir time.

I'm using autocad MEP 2016.

Message 4 of 12
beyoungjr

Hi Mr. Lincoln:)

You have a good explanation, IMHO.

I too have wanted this functionality for my class templates.  Even though I save my dwt template files in a desired layout before providing it to the class, they sometimes finish their project dwg files and save with Model Space tab active.  I prefer a redirect to a specified Paper Space layout tab when opening the drawings made with my templates if it's possible to embed that setting in the drawing/template file itself vs. an application setting would only work on installations that have been tweaked with a setting.

Great idea!  Maybe an Autodesk wish list item if no current solution?

Blaine

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: beyoungjr

thank you Blaine, I'm glad I'm not alone on this. the other scenario on this is

that cad user are used to just double clicking the file and not using the open file

option. I guess this is not quite easy but I'm sure there are cad expert out there

that can do this and if not it's definitely worth it to include in the next patch or

somethin... 

Message 6 of 12
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I get what you are trying to do here.  I can imagine a custom routine with a reactor that could move to the first tab on File Open.  I suggest that we move this thread to the customization forum to see if anyone has ideas or a routine that can work for you. Is this acceptable?

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 7 of 12
beyoungjr

Not initially my post but I'd prefer the wish list instead of a customized routine that users would have to "employ to enjoy":)

Kinda like the Print/Plot dialog allowing you to "Apply to Layout" and having the ability stick to the file vs. the application.  I guess routines could be embedded in the dwg/dwt file too.  Love to see any ideas.

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

John Vellek,

yes, absolutely. thank you.

Message 9 of 12
Ranjit_Singh1

@Anonymous wrote:

hi everyone,

i have a situation at work where many times a draftsman closes a drawing in model

with 2 or 3 viewports and when it's a heavy drawing it takes time to open. i already setup

a drawing template, now what i wanted to happen is to set a certain layout so everytime

autocad opens that drawing it will always defaulted to one of the layout tab i set to be

the default no matter how the drawing was saved and closed, even if they saved it in

model, the next time they open it it will be the n default layout tab. is this possible?

any help or suggestion is much appreciated.

thank you.

If lets say every drawing you opened always had a standard layout named "Info", then add this (setvar 'ctab "Info") to your acaddoc.lsp and it should always open that tab. Now, if you did not have that tab, it will print an error on the command prompt and continue with opening the drawing however it was saved.

Another way would be to make sure the drawing is saved in the desired layout by implementing a reactor, but I would not go there unless absolutely needed.

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Ranjit_Singh1

Ranjit,

I will definitely try this and let you know the result. thank you.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Ranjit_Singh1

Ranji,

thank you, it works perfectly the way i wanted. i even tried double clicking the file

and it opens it to the layout tab i named. great.

Message 12 of 12
Ranjit_Singh1

You are welcome. Glad it worked for you. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta