Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Compare Dwg Dwf Pdf Vault Mismatch

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
bradeneuropeArthur
854 Views, 7 Replies

File Compare Dwg Dwf Pdf Vault Mismatch

Hi,

The following:

We see a mismatch between the drawing file *dwg the *.dwf and the *.pdf for the same file, because the information is different.

Example:

Part1.ipt version1 is round 50 and drawn in Part1.dwg and checked in. Files are still all "Work In Progress" during the next days the design changes from round 50 to round 60 version2 of the ipt. 

A few days later the design is released and also the drawings. Basically the drawing still is based on version1 of the ipt file and will show round 50 mm in Vault terms. Because the files are released the view in the drawing will only update within inventor because inventor will use latest released files only. The dwf file is based in the update with latest released files an will show 60 mm(dwg is still 50 and will not update) Because the update is never send back to Vault this will stay this way and suggest different then the Dwf filepreview in Vault. 

The Pdf file is created different and is base in the file added to vault and will show 60.

What can we do about this issue, since we are sending often dwg files or Pdf files to manufacturing with different content

Regards,

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Labels (3)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

@bradeneuropeArthur 

Hello!  Can you share some screen shots of this?  Are you updating the DWF and PDF when a change is made to the original drawing or part?  Please describe your workflow to change these, which results in the mismatch.

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 3 of 8

Later next week I can share some more Screenshots. Tha basic problem is that the dwf is created bases on the latest version of the release file within the drawing, also if the dwg file is updated. The pdf file is not created of the latest released file within the drawing but the last saved version. This is our major problem during production. This leads into errors based on the filetype transmitted.

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 4 of 8

Hi,

Because the case is not explainable by making screenshots I hope that I can do it by writing. I think that someone from the Vault team will exactly know what I mean here for sure.

The Case:

We found that the “Dwg” File and the “Dwf” File and the “Pdf” File do not match, in some cases.

The dwg file often is made already with a previous version of the model and checked in to Vault-pro.

During the process the model is changed without opening the drawing in inventor anymore. For Inventor this is not problem because he will update the file as needed. The database is still showing different.

Now this:

The drawing DWG will show the historical version of the model file. This is already not correct if we send drawings as we do with dwg files.

The jobserver will only open the drawing and update the view and create the Dwf file as the drawing is meant to with the latest released version of the model file. This means the dwg is updated and created different as the dwg file in Vault. The file is never been written back to vault so no update here.

For the Pdf the dwg file is openened as how the drawing is made with historical version of the model, or the drawing is opened deffered, at least it seems to be that way.

So the native only correct file that needs for production is only the Dwf file, at least our reseller said. So this means that the Dwg and The Pdf file will show you historical versions of the model file in many cases. The preview of the file will show you latest because the dwf file is used fort that. This means we will never be aware of the case that the dwg and the Pdf are different.

Please take this into consideration that we manufacture different then we think we do, and this will lead into errors that are in the basics not clear for us. We think we send the correct files out!!!

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 5 of 8

Your drawing (DWG) files should be opened, updated, saved in Inventor, and checked into Vault before you Release the part or assembly. 

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 6 of 8

@ihayesjr 

We know that of course but the Vault preview shows us different.

This means it is very hard/impossible to check if what is on the dwg file and the pdf file.

How should we ever check if all edits are in the dwg file, if the dwf and preview shows us the correct one?

Regards,

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 7 of 8

I suspect that Vault does not have any built-in tools to force your users to update the 2d dwg/idw file after making changes to the 3d ipt/iam models.

Instead, your users will have to include updating the 2d drawing files as part of the Engineering Change process.  It will be purely manual.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2024
Vault Professional 2024
Message 8 of 8

Hi,

@swalton 

I suspect that Vault does not have any built-in tools to force your users to update the 2d dwg/idw file after making changes to the 3d ipt/iam models. To my opinion this is a lack in the program Vault. I mean normally you get what you see, but not with the Vault preview. It has to do with the differences of the files created. For the dwf attachment in Vault the drawing view is updated to the latest released file versions. For the pdf attachement the drawing is used as it has been checked in by the user and often not the latest released file versions. I think the only correct way is that either the dwf and pdf are created similar with the latest files, or the dwf and the pdf are created with the files as they have been checked in and previewed similar. Further there should be a mechanisme that tells the user that the files are created based on historical information and aware the user for this. We have created an add-in here in house that checks similar things for us. But I think this is still missing in Vault. So the idea can by implemented very easy for the experts in the Vault team. I hope that the Team is seeing the problem here too, since our reseller is aware of it too and told us that this is the way it is programmed.

Instead, your users will have to include updating the 2d drawing files as part of the Engineering Change process.  It will be purely manual. We use a lot of skeletal designs this means we have actually a lot of drawings that only need an editorial update because only the file reference has changed and marks files dirty for Vault. This means we need to update about 300 drawings every day because of questions and changes during production. this would take us about 25 hours to update these drawings to only be sure that what is on the drawing is correct. With using Vault we are advised/told that we need a complete mono drawing system (one ipt or one iam on a drawing) this is why we need to update more files. Before using vault we had a multisheet drawing, which means only updating e few files with more sheets. This was hand-able to my opinion.

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report