SketchBook Forum
Hello Sketchbook Community Members! Sketchbook started a new exciting endeavor. This forum is now read-only mode. Please visit the new Sketchbook Help Center, https://help.sketchbook.com/ in the future. Happy sketching!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketchbook Pro menus disappear after using eye dropper

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
kate30787SSAN
8085 Views, 19 Replies

Sketchbook Pro menus disappear after using eye dropper

Hi there. I'm using Sketchbook Pro (paid version) on a Surface Book 2 and I'm finding it to be intolerably buggy. I keep randomly getting a weird error when I use the eye dropper tool where all the menus disappear and refuse to reappear, forcing me to close and reopen the app to get them back. Another eyedropper bug that happens sometimes is that the eyedropper puck (the little dialog that opens when you are selecting a colour from the canvas - see attached image) doesn't disappear again after I choose my colour - it just stays stuck there on the canvas until I close the app. These two bugs are making the app almost impossible to use as I am constantly having to close and reopen, slowing my progress considerably. Has anybody else had either of these problems and is there a solution?

Thanks in advance.

eyedropperEG.jpg

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
david.lau
in reply to: kate30787SSAN

I have seen this issue before.  The only workaround is to exit and restart the app.

You can try to use the DESKTOP version of SketchBook but you don't have a "PEN ONLY" mode.

www.sketchbook.com/thankyou

You also have access to the mobile versions as well.

www.sketchbook.com/ios

www.sketchbook.com/motion

www.sketchbook.com/android

David Lau
Message 3 of 20

Hi David. Thanks for your reply. So it seems like you are saying the software is full of bugs and I have to use something else and that's it? Is there actually any plan to address it at all? I have to say it's kind of a frustrating response.

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous

Same Problem here...i dont Pay Money vor a Buggy App. 

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: david.lau

This issue occurs extremely frequently when using this app. I have to close the app very often to fix the issue.

The UI disappears while using the eye dropped tool to let you see more of the canvas. Normally, it will re appear as soon as you've selected a color, but often it will not.

If it can't be bothered to develop a real fix for the issue, it would at least be nice if the app was updated so the UI didn't fade out of the way at all when using the eye dropper, so this issue wouldn't happen. 

Message 6 of 20

same issue driving me mad

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous

Has anyone found the answer to this problem? I am having the same problem with sketchbook on surface pro 4 with Windows 10.

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous

Keeps happening to me too, its driving me crazy! Its happening more an more often. I dont like the regular desktop version and the windows 10 version is just so nice when it... you know... works. 

dddddd.png

Of course im painting right now, so im using the eyedropper like every 10 seconds. Which means i've restarted the program an insufferable amount of times so far. Ive contacted them several times and they just tell me to change versions. No other program is optimized for my screen computer like this so I guess I just have to put up with it until they can be bothered to hear our complaints and fix it.

Message 9 of 20
debbielou.roberts
in reply to: Anonymous

How disappointing after numerous users experiencing the same issue and voicing their frustration it appears that nothing is being offered by way of a solution. Very bad Sketchbook ! 

Message 10 of 20
Anonymous

Just replying to say that it's been a year and a half since the initial post and the issue still isn't fixed.

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous

I also have this problem, and it still exists (Surface Book). Don't know if they will ever fix it. The latest update is even worse, has basically completely broken Sketchbook for me - can't open files or use any layers, only doodle on one layer and then lose all progress after closing out the app.

Message 12 of 20
david.lau

Hello everyone, please send me an NFO file from your computer.

Start > Search > Type: msinfo32.exe >  File > Save > Yourname.nfo

Then use DropBox or Google Drive and upload file there and send me the share link via Forum "Email" (in the top corner).

David Lau
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous

I also have had the duplicate eye dropper problem described in the first post, in fact I had my own thread about this open in this forum since 2017. https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/sketchbook-forum/colour-picker-magnifier-graphic-getting-stuck-in-mid...

Additionally, since the latest update last week, I now ALSO have the UI issue described - I go to colour pick, and the whole UI disappears (instead of coming back like normal). While I can continue painting with the same brush and colour I had chosen, I cannot do anything else in the program, and have to close and re open it to continue. I don't seem to lose progress, luckily, but every time I go to save my work again after restarting the app, I have to deal with the save dialogue constantly prompting me to rename the file.

I'm sure the devs can appreciate how much this all slows down the user's workflow, and how frustrating it is to wait so long for a bug fix.

Message 14 of 20
david.lau

ALERT:  For users of SketchBook (UWP) that was downloaded from the Windows Store, please change your language to ENGLISH (US) and restart SketchBook after the reboot. Please let us know if this makes SketchBook usable. 

If this solves issue, please let us know the language your device is set at when it’s freezing/crashing.

David Lau
Message 15 of 20
robcote623

Win 10 Surface book 2 user and i am still having this same issue, tried to follow the change language tip but i cannot change the language in sketchbook directly and must do it in the win 10 settings. I accessed the settings to make sure that my language was set to English (it is) so this tip provides no help. UI disappears every time i select the eyedropper tool from the color wheel forcing me to save, exit, and restart the program i am now not only losing time having to do that but being forced to figure out if there is a solution to an issue that seems to be going on for 2+ years now. Really upset that this hasn't been patched/fixed in this entire time, and Autodesk's solution has been to use different software.

Message 16 of 20
david.lau
in reply to: robcote623

@robcote623 

Can you make a video of it on a smart phone and upload it to Dropbox for us to look at?

What are the specs on your SurfaceBook 2?  i.e. Model/Amrount of RAM/Video Card

Can you max out the performance of the video card?

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-max-intel-hd-graphics-surface-pro-4

David Lau
Message 17 of 20
robcote623

Hardware is i7-8650u @1.9ghz (2.11 boosted), 16gb ram, and gtx 1060 gpu, so im pretty doubtful that im crashing the program due to lack of ram or gpu power. i have even manually setup the settings to switch over to the nvidia gpu when i open up sketchbook rather than staying on the intel gpu. i also use solidworks on this same machine and i can run intense and heavy programs on that with no issue, hard to see why sketchbook would overbear it specs wise. I also updated win 10 to 1903 and now im getting random shutoffs and program freezing in addition to that, it'll be hard to capture a video of that unless it occurs during the same time i try to film the eye dropper issue. Where should i send the video on dropbox ?

Message 18 of 20
david.lau
in reply to: robcote623

Please send me a Dropbox link via a PM.  Thanks!

David Lau
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous

Same.  Have to close and re-open --

Message 20 of 20
Anonymous

I am also having this problem on a Surface Pro 2017. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report