Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friction parameter

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
chris83m
437 Views, 3 Replies

Friction parameter

Hello all,

I have a problem with adding the friction paramter in MES.

The simulation without friction works, but now I would like to test the differences with friction coefficients.

The Problem: 

I have created a surface contact and activated the friction in the contact options.

If i add the coefficients with 0.3 adhesion and 0.1 sliding friction there come an Pop-Up window.

Friction Options_1.PNG

This window tells me that the sliding friction is smaller than the adhesion and that´s correct.

But when i confirm with ok and re-open the options the values are reseted.

Friction Options_2.PNG

Can anyone help me with this problem?

I lokk forward to your answers.

Best Regards

Tony

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
John_Holtz
in reply to: chris83m

Hi Tony. Welcome to the Sim Mech forum.

Sorry to see that you are having some type of problem with the friction input. I see that you are using the comma (",") for the decimal separator. My guess is that this is the source of the problem.

Can you try entering the values as 0.3 and 0.1? I do not know if the dialog will let you enter the values like that or not. You may need to change your Windows regional settings first to change the decimal character from a comma to a period ("."). (The "regional settings" may be names as "Region and Language" dialog, or "changing the format of numbers" in Windows.)

Also, what version of Windows are you using? What version of Sim Mech are you using? (2017? Something else?). Mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut, otherwise I might recognize the version of Sim Mech from the images you provided Smiley Happy The "Help > About" will give the build number which indicates the year and any service packs installed. (Click the arrow next to the "?" in the title bar, then > About.)

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 4
chris83m
in reply to: John_Holtz

Hello John,

thanks for your Help!

When i change the settings in windows from "," to "." and add the parameter with 0.3 and 0.1 in the friction options, then everthing works.

There is no error message and the parameter are accepted!

I use Win7 64 bit with Sim Mech 2017 Build 2017.00.00.3131

Best Regards

Tony

Message 4 of 4
John_Holtz
in reply to: chris83m

Hi Tony,

I'm glad the regional setting fixed the problem.

When you get a chance, you should install 2017 Service Pack 1 (SP1). I see that the "read me" for that update includes this:

• When you set the decimal separator to a comma (,) in the Windows® regional settings, the Simulation Mechanical mesh settings cannot be changed.

While is does not mention your issue directly, it is possible that SP1 fixes other regional settings problems.

You can install the service pack from the Autodesk Desktop App (where updates for all Autodesk software can be found), or https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/simulation-mechanical/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autode...

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report